Justice Ginsberg, RIP

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

It will be interesting to see how the Democrats treat the nominee if she is a woman. The sexual assualt thing they drummed up against Kavanaugh will be out the window. Both women are Catholic so I assume attacking their orthodoxy on Catholicism will be front and center re the abortion debate. It'll be hard to say either aren't qualified based on their education. Their record as judges is fair game as always of course.

One thing for sure you can bet that if there is anything to dig up from their entire life from Jr. High School on forward they will dig it up. I hope neither of them went to a Halloween party as a black female singer or something like that.

2. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

So.... is there even a far right explanation how back in 2016... 8 months before the Nov. election the GOP Senate members were all about waiting those 8 months before a replacement Supreme Court judge nominee was nominated.
    Now it's only 6 weeks until the election and McConnell and company are all about a fast rush to get Trump to nominate a replacement for the deceased RGB. 8 months.... no 6 weeks.... yes???

Can't wait to see the asinine justifications for this one.

3. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

RBG was confirmed in less that 45 days, I guess it's a fast forward seat. As some asshole once said "elections have consequences."

4. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

After watching Senator McConnell explain the apparent hypocrisy, I am no longer conflicted.

The situation between 2020 and 2016 are different in one key aspect. In 2016, President Obama was Democrat and the Senate was Republican.

When the President and Senate majority are of a different party, you have to go back to 1888 (Grover Cleveland) for the last time a Chief Justice was nominated AND confirmed. Only six times since then was a Chief Justice nominated in an election year, with a majority NOT confirmed. Just as in 2016.

When the President and Senate majority are the same party, there have been eight vacancies in an election. SEVEN of the eight were confirmed, and the eighth was not, purportedly due to "obvious personal corruption".

It's amazing the lack of information one gets when depending on the "news" for the facts. My apologies, I believed it when CNN was telling me McConnell himself argued the very same thing four years ago. He did not.

Nominate and confirm, in complete agreement with precedent.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  5. Motorcity Gator

Lame excuse.... especially when you consider that the majority of Americans didn't vote for Trump in 2016 and polls show even less will be voting for him in November. I wouldn't be surprised if both Trump and some GOP Senators lose votes and possibly their seats over this. Most people know when they are being force fed a load of ****.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Elections have consequences. 29 times a vacancy occurred in an election year. 19 times the Senate and Whitehouse were the same party and all but 2 were confirmed. 10 times there was a split in parties and only 2 got confirmed. You can whine all you want about “hypocrisy” but there is PLENTY of precedent for both occurrences.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  7. Stu Ryckman

PS. The President nominated somebody ALL 29 TIMES.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Motorcity Gator

Here is your chief hypocrite carrying the banner for Trump's hastily put together rip-off of American voters:
    "I want you to use my words against me," Graham said at the time. "If there's a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say, 'Lindsey Graham said let's let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination.'"
    Yeah, I mean, he pretty much asked for it. Like, explicitly.
    No one who has followed politics for the last five-ish years -- basically since the rise of Trump -- should be surprised AT ALL that Graham is the Republican senator with the most outrageous flip-flop on, ahem, principle.
    You'll remember that when Graham was running against Trump for president in 2016, he described the billionaire businessman as a "race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot." And said this: "You know how you make America great again? Tell Donald Trump to go to hell."

9. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

It used to be that the Senate acted in conformity with the Constitution and when a nominee was considered, if they individual was a qualified jurist, he or she would be confirmed. Then the Democrats became modern Democratic assholes. It started with Robert Bork. Teddy and the boys decided that they didn't like his political leanings and defeated the nomination. Then came the Clarence Thomas fiasco and the whole process, which had once been a civil matter became a political one. They just can't help themselves. Think about it, you're dying, you're surrounded by you're family, you know you're going to leave this earth any second and your last words are not "I love you", or "goodbye" it's "I hope this president doesn't name my successor." Just how F'd up are Democrats?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Motorcity Gator

As I said.... it's a blatant rip-off of the majority of American voters.

""If there's a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say, 'Lindsey Graham said let's let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination.'"

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

"You'll remember that when Graham was running against Trump for president in 2016, he described the billionaire businessman as a "race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot." And said this: "You know how you make America great again? Tell Donald Trump to go to hell."

At least Trump didn't pick him as his running mate. Remember when Harris ripped old Joe a new one and now the little girl on the bus is riding on his lap. No hypocrisy there.

12. Motorcity Gator

Hey and as usual your legal background compels you to pour back through history to find some kind of precedent justifying actions by the GOP in the year 2020.
    You have a Game of Thrones approach to everything. If a village was sacked and the women and children were murdered 100 years ago then that justifies today's raping and pillaging of the perpetrators own village.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight, you refer to something that was said in 2016 and I refer to something that happened this year and I'm "pouring back through history." WTF are you smoking?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Motorcity Gator

Bork, Thomas et. al.

The Dems did this so we're doing that....... always the excuse.

15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

It got worse with Kavanaugh. Name one Democratic nominee that was ever treated like that? You can't. When you have no conscience, when you have no morals you can be the vilest bastard that you can.

16. Motorcity Gator

Like DJT you mean? This from the Boston Herald:
    “Once a country is habituated to liars,” Gore Vidal once observed, “it takes generations to bring back the truth.” Many of us don’t have generations left, and after four years in which the American president has waged thermonuclear war on the truth, we face the depressing reality of living out our days in a country in which, thanks to Donald Trump and the cult-like embrace of him by far too many of our countrymen, corruption has not been merely normalized but legitimized. It is hard to imagine that the Good Lord ever created a less honest human being than The Donald, and even harder to imagine that anyone believes a word he utters. But even 20,000 or so documented falsehoods into the Trump Administration later, millions of Americans still do, which makes the grim reality of the America of 2020 that much grimmer.

Hey Gipper enjoy that Notre Dame game this Saturday while you think of all of the ways Trump has this virus " under control" and "doing well"..... "better than anyone"

17. Motorcity Gator

More on Trump's threats to end our Democracy:
    "The President said it was better that a ninth justice was on the bench before the election, "because I think this scam that the Democrats are pulling, it's a scam, this scam will be before the United States Supreme Court and I think having a four-four situation is not a good situation if you get that."
    It was stunning to see a President be so frank about an apparent scheme to invalidate his election duel against Biden if he does not emerge as the winner of the Electoral College.
    Trump's repeated assaults against good governance, constitutional tradition and respect for the norms and the customs of the presidency can often appear arcane and may not mean much to Americans mired in a pandemic, facing massive job losses and have kids stuck at home because school is closed. And the President's defenders often accuse the media of taking his statements too literally.
    But the experience of Trump's past actions and his incessant attack on the election leave little doubt he is serious about his threat to launch an unprecedented attack on US democracy to stay in power if Biden wins. If he were to succeed in such an attempt, the United States would suffer historic damage to its long-resilient political system."

18. Stu Ryckman

He's trolling you and you're drinking the kool-aid.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Motorcity Gator

I would like to think that you're right Stu. It's just a dangerous situation if he's not joshing.

20. Stu Ryckman

Dave, even given the (to me) astounding and despicable actions by the far left activists and the lack of proper response by Blue State leaders and the media, this is still America and the American people will honor the election results. Yeah, Trump is stirring the pot a bit but he's got a point...the election will probably be close and there will probably be all kinds of ballots trickling in, counted late, filled out wrong, found in trunks, etc. This could be an epic fiasco. I trust having a Supreme Court that follows the law rather than creating their own laws. If the court has to get involved, I trust that the American people will go along with their ruling, though whoever loses will never exactly "accept" the loss. But you know what? I believe that Trumps supporters are much less likely to cause trouble and disorder if they lose than those on the left.

• Agree Agree x 1