Jake Diebler to be promoted to Head Coach for Buckeyes

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Don Ballard, Mar 17, 2024.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

This might be a bit premature, but local news this morning is reporting that the university and Diebler are in the early stages of negotiations for his contract. Also confirmed by 11 Warriors.com. I am in favor of the decision as I am sure will be heralded by other OSU fans.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Happy to see it, obviously earned a hard look with his late season run. The players clearly respond to his leadership. As yet unconfirmed, but there sure is alot of smoke. I wasn't overwhelmed with any of the other names, so I hope it's true

• Like Like x 2
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

rolling the dice.
    although in basketball for whatever the reason these things workout more often than not. Not sure why HC experience isn't a bigger factor.

4. Don Ballard

This is just my personal opinion, but I think our new incoming AD grasped the power of our fanbase and thought why not and a money saving decision as well? A win, win for his first hire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BuckeyeT

True that, but I will give the AD credit for having the stones to go that route. Jake has deep roots in Ohio HS basketball. A coaches son, his Dad has coached Ohio HS hoops forever, still coaching. Both he and his brother grew up in the state, his brother Jon was a prolific HS player, Buckeye star in the Matta era and now serves as Director of Recruiting for Thad at Butler. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on his brothers staff in Columbus. I'd love to see it, esp if he could teach them to shoot the three like he did. Over 50% from deep in his Sr year.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Don Ballard

Ohio State officially announced the hiring of Jake Diebler this morning. Introductory and press conference tomorrow afternoon.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BuckeyeT

Just finished watching the intro presser for new Coach Jake Diebler. He's definitely a Buckeye to his core, grew up in Ohio, Dad lifelong Ohio HS coach, said he "wasn't good enough" to play for the Buckeyes. His brother was a prolific Ohio HS player, once went for 86 and holds the record for most career points scored over a guy named LeBron James and was a great player for some of Thad Matta's best Buckeye teams. The Schottenstein Center, our hoops arena - aka the Schott - clearly is a special place in his and his family's world. His HS team, coached by his Dad with stud brother as the star won a state HS title there. He met his wife there, got engaged there, call it kismet, clearly meant to be the head man in that place. Many question his lack of prior HC experience, including myself, but right now, I'm all in on team Jake. I think he's gonna do well. Welcome aboard Coach Diebler

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1