Irish Spring.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Speaking of Willingham.... In retrospect how would you have felt if Notre Dame had handled the O'Leary fiasco by saying that the resume' was regretable and a mistake that he regrets and that he's still a great coach and we want him at Notre Dame.

That is essentially what Rutgers did with their new basketball coach who had a BA in his resume' that he didn't earn. They said the BA wasn't required to be the basketball coach at RU and that they would overlook it and he was going to be their guy, with an updated resume' and online bio.

While we'll never know, I think O'Leary would have done well as the ND coach. He'd actually realized that you needed to recruit and had a lot of good ties in the South East and Fla and up and down the east coast. I don't think he played golf either.

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Seriously Doc? I can see it now, "Under the Tarnished Dome Part II"

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Bobda,
    So maybe y'all should keep Appy State off of the schedule and continue to play Notre Dame? :shock:

4. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

O'Leary

<t>I think O'Leary would have done a good job.</t>

5. Terry O'Keefe

I understand we couldn't have gotten away with it, it's too bad he'd have been much better than Willingham. But he had so many lies, including that he actually played college football when he didn't and all so it was impossible to forgive him everything. If he just hadn't taken the ND job it probably never would have come out.

6. Terry O'Keefe

I'm pretty sure B1G rules starting sometime in the near future will not allow them to schedule anybody not in FBS (Div1).

What I think is going to happen is that we'll play in the future but instead of every year it will be a 2 game series like the rest of their conference does with big names.

Also while Hoke made the comments, the B1G has tried schedule intimidation before with ND. I think Lloyd once said he didn't think UM should play us, other B1G coaches thought ND should be boycotted by B1G teams. Delaney clearly wanted to box us in and put us in a position where the B1G was our only option.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Conversation with Jack Swarbrick, in the Observer. Nothing earth shattering.

Jack Swarbrick

8. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Damn, it was bad enough that you rumored poor Lloyd was on death's doorstep before the start of every season when he still coached but now you "think" he said he did not want to continue the ND series. I need to research Texas law regarding libel and slander.

Here are Lloyd's comments after the contract was signed to continue the series:
    And now that he is in retirement and still alive, he still says nice things about our good friends from South Bend guys despite the mud slinging flowing from the Houston branch of the propaganda department of Rock's House.

9. Terry O'Keefe

I get Bo and Lloyd confused! :)
    Is Lloyd still with us?

10. Terry O'Keefe

Of course we Irish have long memories!

11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Coach Hoke needs to study the history of Michigan's attitude toward ND before he shoots his mouth off. Maybe he can read up on it while he's on the treadmill, trying to shed his excess pounds, excluding, of course, the fat between his ears. :lol:

12. Bobdawolverweasel

TOK, according to Wikipedia, Fitz was responsible for the resumption of M and ND playing in the 40's. Maybe he started the boycott after the 43 game which did not go well for M. I am sure there is something in the NDNation archives that deal with this issue along with his close friendship with Herman Goring.

13. Terry O'Keefe

Bobda as we all know the UM/ND relationship is complicated and convoluted....enough so that somebody wrote a book about it.

Yost of course was the biggest anti-Catholic/ND hater in the UM hierarchy. I think the only reason that UM finally agreed to play ND again was that back when the contract was signed you guys were struggling and the stadium was not selling out like it does now days and getting ND in would be a big money game. I read where the contract allowed only expenses for the visitors and the rest of the gate kept by the home team was a big factor in UM agreeing to play us again.

There is of course much dislike for UM amongst Irish fans, but I for one would like to see us play on a regular basis, not necessarily every year. It's been a great early season game for all of college football. But in the overall scheme of things we each have to do what's best for our programs. The move to the ACC has changed things and also we need to balance our schedule more like the rest of college football. Stop having 4 tough games in Sept while everybody else is playing 3 patsies and 1 good game.

14. Bobdawolverweasel

A passage from an article about Yost and bigotry, in this instance racial:
    This all took place 17 years before Notre Dame fielded an integrated team. So, while Yost, when judged by the norms of the past, was intolernt, as he aged, he may have become bit more open minded than others of that era.

Obviously, his actions re ND were wrong but, ironically enough, unwittingly aided ND as his attempt to isolate the Irish in the Midwest forced Rockne to travel the country which resulted in ND becoming a national sensation and for Rockne to supplant Yost as the leading coach of that era.

As far as future games go, given that teams are now scheduling in the 2020's, my guess is that you will not see a regular season game between the two teams after next year for at least a decade if not longer. Both school will do fine without one another. Fans of both school seem to hate each other to the point that, like A&M and Texas, they are more than happy with the fact that they will not see one another in the future. But, ND-M was a marquee early season game for the past 25 years and, as time passes, I doubt if either school will be able to replace it with a new rivalry that get the blood boiling as much as this one did.

15. Terry O'Keefe

For 2013 it's BCS or Bust for the Irish according to Jack Swarbrick, although he say's he expects that opportunities will arise that result in an eligible ND team playing in a bowl. That of course changes in 2014 when we become eligible for the ACC bowls.
    Irish Bowl Picture for 2013

16. vicm

vicm New Member

Bobda, thanks for the history lesson. Great reads as ususal. BTW, I was surprised to learn of the connection to Hermann Goring, I thought it was Joseph Goebbels. :wink:

17. Terry O'Keefe

Irish picked up another OL in Alex Bars from Nashville Tenn, his dad is a former ND player and he has brothers at Mich and Penn State.

This is a great group of OL. Irish building depth in the trenches. There are a couple of other OL's who are at the top of the National scene that could possibly be added later. Kid from Cali named Mamma and a kid from Kansas named Smith. Other than those guys the 4 we have is likely to be it.

18. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Gonna have to call my Grundy county boys to put a fence up around ole Alex! 8)

19. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

You can't stop Bobda. You can only hope to contain him. 8)

20. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

ND

<r><QUOTE><s>
    </e></QUOTE>

Indeed!</r>