Irish Spring.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Speaking of Calif football. What's the relationship these days between the public and catholic schools? Did I read somewhere that the public schools kicked them out of their league? Why?

2. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    The relationship is not good. The Catholic school that Corey and I went to is Damien HS in La Verne, CA. My grandson is the QB there now. They just got kicked out of the Sierra League, because they were the only non-public school in it. Over on the girl's side, St. Lucy's got kicked out too. All Catholic schools are being forced back into Catholic school leagues like they were in the good old days when I played. That will take effect next year in the 2013-2014 school year.

Damien will rejoin their old pals Bishop Amat, Loyola, Bishop Alemany, St. Francis and Sherman Oaks Notre Dame in a league yet to be named. Various names have been suggested, but none that I can print on a family web site. God can't be on everyone's side, and I'm sure he would never cheer for Bishop Amat, so it will all work out in the end. As for the public school pukes: they can run, but they can't hide. Sooner or later we'll see them again in the playoffs and we won't forget the 66 mile wide league they forced us into, when they're all right down the street...

3. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Personally, I love this.

It creates 'Super Leagues' that are literally set apart from the public school leagues.. which creates a 'recruiting advantage' without ever actually recruiting a kid.. Which, btw, the public schools can recruit openly and without remorse. These are children we're talking about here.

These children have parents, sometimes, and these parents can look at the private schools with their 96 to 99% placement rate at 4 year universities/colleges. They can look at the personalized, traditional education opportunities and the scholarship money being won/awarded. Then they can also look at these kids playing in front of 5,000 to 20,000 people on a Friday night with games being broadcast nationally on FoxSports. Those parents will see the playoffs in multiple divisions that start off with just a few private schools that will wind up with 'All Private Final 4s' in multiple sports, in multiple divisions all across the board.

Then the public schools will cry foul again. I don't know what new rule or exception they can give themselves these days aside from paying players.

4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Indiana just instituted a new rule which will take effect this coming HS football season. If a school accumulates "X' number of points over two consecutive years in the tournament (not sure of the points system, but let's say as an example, 1 for sectional champs, 2 for regional, 3 for semi-state and 4 for state champs), the team moves up a class for the ensuing two years. Guess what? The only 4 teams affected are Catholic schools who have dominated their classes. My thought is, be careful what you wish for. Like California, what will the public schools in Indiana cry about when the teams who moved up continue to dominate?

5. IrishCorey

haha one of the best things about SoCal football is watching a final 4 in football in which there are more students enrolled at Long Beach Poly than the other 3 (private) institutions combined.. and Long Beach Poly is the one that's scared coming into all it. (justifiably).

You're right. Indiana will wind up screwing themselves.. and then what?

6. Terry O'Keefe

7. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

First the Big Ten is going to 9 conference games so all BT teams are dropping opponents. I'm so f'n tired of having to play them and MSU during the month of Sept. because THEY have to play their conference schedule. They play cupcakes (like Appy St.) while our Sept. Schedule is overloaded with tough games.
    Now that there will be a committee selecting the teams to make the 4 team playoff, the cupcake eaters are looking for some quality games. F'em.

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Hey, I think they consider Appy State a quality opponent. Or at least they do now. :wink:

9. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

ND

<t>So Brady Hoke says ND is chickening out of the series. Well, Brady Hoke can kiss my ass. I hope we beat them 50-0 in their house this year. Can that illiterate goober even spell his own name?</t>

10. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

Hmm sounds like a game I will be tuned in to watch....Pretty smart setup for a ratings buster next time they play...

11. IrishCorey

He's a good coach and Michigan man. I'd expect nothing less.

screw that guy.

12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Locker room material. Gives ND the emotional edge. Not smart.

Brady's put on some weight. His face looks puffier than I remember from Ball State and his first couple couple of years at MI. Maybe he's channeling his inner Charlie Weis. :lol:

13. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

14. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Just gamesmanship, nothing more. And who can blame him for being upset, what with losing his job as Larry David's agent on his HBO show.

15. Tim Gentry

hoke

<r><QUOTE><s>
    </e></QUOTE>

Yes, he is a Michigan man, but he looks like the <B><s></s>Michelin<e></e></B> man!</r>

16. Terry O'Keefe

I'm sure all of you know by now that Asaph Schwapp passed away from Non-Hodgins Lymphoma...age 26. None of us remember Schwapp for his contributions to the football team during his time at ND. He was the consumate workout warrior who rushed for less than 100yds in his career.

But from what I read his real legacy was his personality and the way he lived his life. His teammates loved him, he was loved in his community for the things that he did to help others.

You could say he was the quintessential ND man.

Too Young.

Asaph Schwapp

17. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

KP,

Just for your information, here are scores of our pre-conference games the year Appy State beat us.

September 1
    Appalachian State
    Lost 32-34

September 8
    Oregon
    Lost 7-39

September 15
    Notre Dame
    Won 38-0

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I recall that season. We lost 9 games that season the most in school history. It was bad enough losing to 2 service academies (Navy and Air Force) but we also lost to Michigan.
    It was that senior and junior class "recruited" by Willingham that got him shitcanned.

19. Tim Gentry

ND

<t>Are you sure we lost to michigan? can't seem to recall that at all.</t>

20. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah we were 0-5 going to UCLA where we finally got on the board with a win.