Irish Spring.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Yeah I know you never know when a guy will finally get it and step up. You could say that Theo Riddick got it last year after being a contributor but not really a difference maker. But last year doesn't happen unless Theo Riddick steps up and plays like he did last year.

Zeke Motta is another guy, he had a decent career going into last season but he was great last year.

So I'm not giving up on either of the Atkinson brothers, but esp GAIII I had hoped, based on recruiting hype and all, that he would have looked like an All American season was awaiting him in 2013. It still could of course.

One other thing nobody has mentioned, but Kelly in one of his press conferences recently said he wanted to improve and expand the walkon program. He specifically said he didn't mean more guys who come out of the student body, he wants targeted (preferred) walkons. I have to assume that guys like the Schmidt kid who is from JO'Co's area are what he is talking about, a guy who could have gone to play on scholarship some other places and was an outstanding HS player getting a preferred walkon status. I have to assume that the preferred walkons get some breaks in admissions to begin with, and don't have to go through tryouts. I read Tim O'Neils book and they don't do walk on tryouts until after fall camp and there are some other limitations for these kids. Again I'm just guessing but that for kids like Tim O'Neil and Brian Baker that they first had to compete in the general admissions pool to get into ND, where as again I'm guessing that a preferred walk on does not. So there might be kids out there who are excellent football players like the Schmidt kid and would love to be a walkon at ND but can't get admitted, may even be really good students but still not quite up to getting through the general admissions pool.

Every walkon who is good enough to contribute on special teams is a plus and Kelly said they add depth to your program for practices.

2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Terry, that's very interesting. I hope his plan works out. It would provide him with a pool of players eligible to compete for scholarships at some point in their careers. I think one or two walk-ons received scholarships following last season. Brian had a friend and teammate from Bishop Dwenger, Kevin Carretta, who earned a scholarship following his junior year. He played on full scholarship for two seasons and contributed on both sides of the ball.

Speaking of Brian, I was chatting with him this afternoon about the spring game. He shares your and George's concerns about GAIII's running style. He is surprised that he is entering his third year and still running almost straight up. If you guys all are concerned, you know the coaching staff is more concerned than they are letting on.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Sid I think there are always a number of walkons who eventually recieve scholarships. I think that once the Spring is over and the coach knows who and how many players he has coming back if he has some left over scholarships he'll give them to upper class walkons who ae playing/contributing. I remember Kevin very well.

4. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:D :idea:

I think all you guys are right about the running back situation. For a team building scenario it doesn't really matter. I think Cam McDaniel looks great whether GAIII gets his pads down or not. Mahone looked pretty darn good too for a guy getting his first touches and showed that he can catch and block as well. Furthermore, as Terry pointed out, this situation opens the door for the entering freshmen, and this year the Irish just happen to have two five-star TBs walking in the door: Greg Bryant and Tarean Folston...

Somebody in this very talented group will step up and be the guy. The brass ring doesn't have GAIII's name on it.

5. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Lee Becton and Ryan Grant both ran straight up and down their entire careers. Grant didn't learn to drop his pads until he got to the NFL. There's always time to get better.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Eric Dickerson was a tall upright runner as well, but that said in todays football most of the top TB's in college are under 6' and they run with low pads.

Coordinators. Do we have top coordinators at ND? Diaco is still a young guy, but is he the next Bob Stoops? Our defense was great last year, even with the youth in the defensive backfield, so that is a big plus now. But now Diaco has 4 recruiting cycles in and has a lot of talent on defense that he's recruited for his system. If our defense is as good as it was last year then you might start thinking Diaco is a top 10 DCoord. I googled top Defensive Coordinators and really didn't come up with a recent list. There was a rivals article from 2011 that had Kirby Smart and John Chavis as the top guys, Diaco didn't make the top 20. Now to be fair that was only his 2nd year and lists like that are frequently what have you done lately as Texas DCoord Manny Diaz was on that list but that was before his disasterous 2012 season and most Texas fans wanted him fired.

What about Chuck Martin? He's only been our DCoord for 1 year and he was hamstrung by Kelly keeping control of the play calling and a rookie QB who they didn't trust like Kevin Sumlin trusted Johnny Football. In fact the Irish have been hamstrung at QB for Kelly's entire tenure. The injury to Christ forcing totally unprepared Tommy Rees into the fray, and now Golson who apparently is a shy, non-vocal kid who didn't pick up the offense very quickly. Hopefully this season, his 3rd in the system, will allow Kelly/Chuck Martin to expand the offense and start scoring some points. It was so frustrating last year to see those 5 interceptions against Mich not result in a blowout of the Wolverines. I keep thinking the Pirate was able to take JC qb in Josh Heuple and have the offense going very well in his first year at OU, and a NC the next year. It seems that when a Spread guy takes over a program that they are able to get the offense going right away and frequently with some QB you never heard of before. Martin is supposedly a guy who has a lot of respect and people expect him to be gone in a year or 2 to a HC job somewhere. I hope they are right, the part about his competence/respect not about being gone.

7. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

There is a lot more to a good running back than speed and pad level. Peripheral vision, ability to change direction and speeds in traffic, sense pressure, finish runs strong etc.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Somebody once told me that pidgeon toed RB's with wide feet EEEE or bigger made the best running backs.

9. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

ND

<t>RE: Spring Game. Not much to talk about except that we may have a better Defense than last year. Offense needs to step up. <br/>
    <br/>
    I do like the little I got to see of Amir Carlisle in the program NBC put on prior to the Game. If he can get healthy he'll be a force on offense for sure. What a bummer he broke his clavicle. Also the incoming freshmen should help us at RB this season also.</t>

10. Terry O'Keefe

Rumors of ND going back to Ireland in 2015 to play Boston College. I know everybody had a great time in Ireland and the team won the game. But the jet lag almost cost us the game vs Purdue the next week.

I'm against going to Ireland unless we have an off week following the game.

11. Terry O'Keefe

I sure hope Justin Brent plays his whole college career at Notre Dame! :)

Check this photo of his new tattoo that he posted on Instagram.

[​IMG]

12. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

And the jet lag coming back from Norman almost cost us the Pitt game. :roll:

13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

LOL! Gipper beat me to it.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Another one of Sid's neighbors to come to ND. As a 1st team AA. I think it's interesting that the pipeline from Ft. Wayne has dried up while the Greater Indianapolis areas has heated up for the Irish...all about the time Sid moved.

[​IMG]

Taya Reimer | F | Hamilton Southeastern | Fishers, Ind. | 6-2 | Notre Dame

The facts: Averaged 20.7 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.1 assists while shooting 57% from the floor. Daughter of former NBA player Ben Davis.

Game strength: Versatility, being able to do a lot of different things on the floor.

Working on: I have to get better at everything, develop consistency in my outside game and get stronger.

MORE: Reimer talks music

Underrated virtue: Being polite is something I try to take pride in, saying you’re welcome and holding the door for people.

Embarrassing: I was in eighth grade and my school team went to camp over the summer. On one possession, I got a steal and went in for a breakaway layup but I tripped, fell and broke my wrist.

Favorite meal: I really love mac and cheese.

Learning from dad: I remember going to a few of his games in the NBA, but I was so young, I don’t remember much. He talks to me about getting ready for college and talks to me about what goes into being a collegiate athlete. He works with me on moves and helps me with my game.

Recent read: The Twilight series (by Stephanie Meyer). I’ve read them a few times.

Best basketball advice: Nobody can limit what I get out of basketball as long as I do the work.

Favorite teacher: Mr. (Gregory) Gastineau for advanced placement government. He made class really fun, and he’s really supportive of the girls basketball team.

Tough assignment: Either Breanna Stewart or Diamond DeShields. They both have crazy skill sets.

Tats all, folks: My mom has given me a limit on tattoos. I have two and her limit is three. I’ve talked to her about getting a shamrock (for Notre Dame).

15. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I saw her play this past season. She's a good one.

I guess they didn't replace me when I moved down here. :lol:

16. Tim Gentry

ND Football

<t>for those who care or might be interested....ND has a new verbal commitment.<br/>
    <br/>
    Nic Weishar, 6'5, 225lb TE from IL.</t>

17. Terry O'Keefe

Nice pickup for Kelly. He's rated #7 at his position.

18. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I saw that. It's too early in my opinion to trust many rankings although a few I saw had him at 3 stars. One thing I've learned about Kelly is that his players will be big, physical and athletic. I trust this kid is, at a minimum, in that mold.

19. Tim Gentry

ND

<t>they are using him in HS at WR so he obviously has good hands. Should fill out more before he hits campus then get him beefed up more to be a blocker and we could have another Eifert. Seems to fit Kelly's scheme better anyhow.</t>

20. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

FWIW, I think Eifert played at around 200 lbs. in HS, maybe a little more, maybe a little less.