Irish Spring.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Apr 1, 2013.

1. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

A.J. = stands for "Always Joking"

2. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

This is why Dacshunds are my favorite...agressive little weiners ain't they?

[​IMG]

3. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

ND

<t>Terry,<br/>
    <br/>
    you're right. I don't like a lot of his attempts at humor and some times feel it's offensive but I ended up doing/ saying something I shouldn't have to try and make a point. It was inapproriate. Personally, I come to this board for only one reason, to have a little bit of conversation with other ND fans about Notre Dame football. Normally, I stay away from commenting on anything else, even other ND sports. I have to remind myself that it's not the old Prodigy board and a lot of people come here for a lot of other reasons.<br/>
    <br/>
    I apologize A.J.</t>

4. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Group hug!!! 8)

5. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Re: ND

<r><QUOTE><s>
    </e></QUOTE>

Fair enough. There's the saying "It's only funny if everyones laughing" probably applies with some of the things I post. I guess after 23 years in the Corps, I let my Rhino Skin cover up my eye's sometimes.<br/>
    <br/>
    When I get on the board for the most part, I treat it like a pub, and I'm sittin' around talkin' trash with my sports buddies. I usually steer away from the political talk around here, unless I have something humorus (or smart ass) to post. <br/>
    <br/>
    Well, it takes a man to apologize, so I apologize also Tim.</r>

6. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

BTW, wha'd think of my weiner? :lol:

7. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

After a strong start to the season Irish Baseball has fallen on hard times. We got swept last weekend by Pitt and lost again to Michigan yesterday. I had hopes that Coach Aoki had turned the program around, but maybe it's too soon although it's his 3rd year. Still a lot of baseball to be played for sure, but unless we snap out of it we are headed to nowhere as far as post season play is concerned. I'm not sure how well he has recruited although he does have one of the top players in the Houston area coming to ND this fall in Craig Biggio's youngest son, Connor. His older brother is already on on the team and is a sophmore but doesn't start.

Softball seems to be doing well as are both the lacrosse teams.

Spring Game this saturday, weather looks pretty decent and a good crowd probably will show up if the weather holds. The game is going to be televised by the NBCSports Network, which is channel 220 on Directv. Before the game there will be an hour long program on ND Football called Strong and True, Notre Dame Spring Football 2013. I've seen clips on und.com and it should be a good watch. It's 11AM CDT with the Spring Game following at Noon.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Oh and I saw on my Texas board that there are rumors of a scheduling agreement coming between the B12 and the ACC.

B12 people and DeLoss Dodds are supposedly very excited about this because it will bring Notre Dame into the B12 schedule on a regular basis.

9. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

NBC has extended its TV deal with ND to 2025. Not bad for a program that was labeled irrelevant a couple of years ago. The article mentions two interesting things:

1) This sounds like the makings of a quasi ND network:
    2) The proceeds have been used judiciously:

10. Terry O'Keefe

I saw that announcement. I'll be curious as to how much money the Irish will get from the arrangement.

It's great that the funds have been used to support academics. I remember when ND started going to bowl games again I believe the proceeds from the bowl also went towards academics.

It's different at Texas, the Ath Dept is totally seperate from the University in terms of money. Texas brings in huge amounts of money always in the top 5 these days in income, since the stadium expansion we've been #1 in revenue. But the vast majority of that money stays with the Ath Dept, which is why we have fabulous facilities for all of our sports with upgrades happening all the time. We'd never have a situation like ND basketball where the practice facilities are are very old. I do think the Ath Dept does donate money back to the University but it's not required.

11. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:x

I watched the Spring Game this morning and the broadcast was terrible. There were so many advertisements and interviews and human interest stories that they forgot to show most of the touchdowns!

Nothing to see here......move along...move along...

12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I agree. I only got to see two. The good news is that we might have found our short yardage wildcat formation QB. :lol:

Seriously, George's capo - er - friend Carlo played very well. Did you see him knock GAIII off his pass route, causing #5 to throw the INT at the goal line? He got a souvenir on his forehead from the slobberknocker he laid on GAIII at the lone of scrimmage.

13. Terry O'Keefe

I couldn't take away anything from the game. Offense didn't look like much to me, sure a few good plays, but hardly polished. But maybe it was because the defense is so good. I just couldn't tell.

14. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Irish Chocolate for the 6! I had to call and tell my son about that. It's his favorite player.

15. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

If they don't use the "Wild Chocolate" formation this year, I'll be let down. Just once... I can never get enough of this gif

[​IMG]

16. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

As entertainment I gave it a C- Freshman Steve Elmer is enormous and played a lot at RT. Davaris Daniels looks real good too at WR. Punt return game added a new dimension; the inability to even catch a punted football.

I would give Kyle Brindza an F for punting. High and short.

Tyler Stockton looked very good on DL. Stephon Tuitt looked to be at least 20 lbs overweight. Played three series and sat.

Carlo is all day tough. He really laid the tracks down through GA III. I thought he looked very good out there. You will never see a hit like that out of Fox.

17. Terry O'Keefe

I'm big time concerned about GAIII this is his 3rd year as a RB and he's still being coached to lower his pad level and clearly not getting it. It seems to me that for the most parts great RB's are pretty instinctual, that you usually can't coach a kid into being a great RB. I"m afraid that GAIII is a guy who if you give him a hole he'll go a long way as we've already seen but we won't be able to count on him for tough yards. Cam McDaniel does run tough, and I hope the freshman Greg Bryant comes to town ready to play, he's supposedly a tough inside runner.

18. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

GA III is a track man playing football I would not hesitate to play McDaniel

19. Terry O'Keefe

His brother is being passed by as well as a DB, yesterday he consistently didn't get his head turned around...Cliff Jefferson redux.

20. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Way too early to judge the success or failure of individual players to live up to expectations. The only things I took away from the game are: 1) we have a very solid and competitive defense that will not give up much to any team on our regular season schedule; 2) we have more speed at the offensive skill positions than last year; 3) we have solid depth at RB pending the addition of a healthy Amir Carlisle; 4) #5 will be better than last year, but I'm glad we have a capable backup in Rees; 5) Zaire looks like a quicker Golson and has a decent arm; 6) Kelly's transition to non-play caller is a work in progress which will be tested early in the season; 7) the OL line is a wild card....Were they playing against one of the best defenses in the country, or will the OL be the achilles heel of this team? We'll find out in a few months.

All in all, I saw many positives, at least among the starting players. Then again, I'm the resident optimist. :lol: