Irish Spring.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Everett Golson no longer is enrolled. The university can't comment, but sources tell the Chicago Tribune reporter that it looks like he is out for the 2013 season. The sources say it was a Res Life violation.

I wonder how Gunner Kiel feels now.

Hello, Andrew Hendrix.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Unbelievable is all I can say! :cry:

3. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:roll:
    - Well that's just swell. I hope Hendrix is ready, because he's going to be needed early along with Tommy. Malik won't be ready, but he may be tossed into the fire anyway...

- I don't know if Golson got what he deserved, but Gunner Kiel sure did...

- Who is Charlie Fiessinger and how did he make the Irish roster as a QB?

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Man, when it rains it pours. Y'all have a senior that hasn't played much and Rees is back right?

5. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Man, I go fishing for four days and you guys let the whole place go to hell....

It's not about punishing anyone. Its about a kid signing a contract and then reneging . If it happens he shoudl suffer the consequences. Some other kid already has. It's a life lesson.

Golson. No one saw this coming. I read elsewhere that it may be "academic violation". Will the much maligned Tommy Rees save us once again? I'm not so sure Zaire is any further away rom starting than Golson was 12 months ago.

Kiel should write a book " Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory" . A compendium of consistantly bad decisions.

So Weis still makes more than Brian Kelly? At ND ?

:lol:

6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

kp, yes, you are correct. The good news is that, unlike before Kelly, we have some depth and experience at the position. We are not SOL, but losing your proven #1 still hurts.

Update: It now appears that the reason is "academic violation," according to the media.

7. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Interesting read the last few pages.

I have to agree with Corey, at least for the most part, about these guys being 17-18 year old kids and the best course of action is to let them go with minimal restrictions. Restrict anyone who was interfering, but don't be to punitive on the kid.

Golson, that is quite a blow.

8. Terry O'Keefe

It's certainly a blow. I really expected us to be a very good offense in 2013 and a good defense. While expecting an undefeated season again would be a bit much but I expected to be in the top 10 and be in a BCS game.

Now it will be a lot tougher, we'll need the offense to be very efficient as neither of the backups have the package that Golson had. Rees is a good leader supposedly popular with his teammates. Hendrix is a physical specimen very strong arm, good not great speed but while a top pre-med student not esp good at reading defenses and making the quick decisions that Golson was going to be able to. Zaire is a true freshman, nuff said.

Defense will need to be outstanding and we'll need to win a lot of close games. We'd better hope that the OL develops into a good run blocking unit and George Atkinson III and company play up to their potential to keep the pressure off the QB's.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Well Dang it, Irish Baseball lost in the Big East Finals. They were the 7th seed and the team they lost to UConn was the 8th seed. So it's not like it's some huge upset that we didn't win the Big East Championship. Not too likely we'll get an at-large-bid to the NCAA tournament. I didn't follow them very closely but the consistent complaint I saw was that we were the worst base running team anybody had ever seen.

But on the positive side the Irish Womens basketball team landed the #1 ranked recruit for the 2014 class in Texan Brianna Turner who a lot of people thought was going to Baylor or UConn. Muffet has been very strong recruiting the last few years, doesn't quite have the guns that Geno has at UConn but it's getting pretty close. We should be Final Four Contenders for a few more years if they develope and stay healthy.

Positive News on Golson. He has publically stated that he will return to ND in January. He expressed his regrets for his decisions and took full responsibility, said his parents didn't raise him like that.
    Golson

Also reports are that Wes Lunt will visit ND this week. He is a transfer from OK. State who started as a true freshman and got injured. He did really well in the games he played and the OK State offense is as complicated or more so than Kelly's. He wouldn't help this year of course but he'd be competition for a returning Golson in 2014. Not many people think he'll come though, he's looking for a situation where he's virtually a lock to start in 2014.

10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I read Golson's statement. I was pleased. We all make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. If he puts his money (future conduct) where his mouth (this statement) is, he'll be a winner on and off the field by the time his collegiate career is over.

Meantime, we'll forge on and work on meeting the challenges ahead.

11. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Sounds like maybe all of this will workout in the end. I do have a question about the Residence of Life factor.

Apparently there is more involved here than poor academic achievement in the sense of poor grades or not attending classes?

12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Don,

The "Res Life" issue was just initial speculation. Later reports did not cite Res Life. In any event, because of confidentiality rules/laws, the university will not say more than already has been said. FWIW, one can glean from his public statement that it was something other than just poor grades, but unless he or some other "reliable source" succumbs to the persistent media - and there will be many trying to dig further - we may not learn the rest of the story.

13. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Thanks Sid. Hope all ends well and he returns to the team. Enjoy the Holiday, light rain showers here this morning.

14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I was given information this morning that comes third-hand, supposedly from someone inside ND, that he failed to complete an accounting course. I don't know if it's true, so take it with a grain of salt.

15. George Krebs

The buzz on Vanderdoes is that he may not academically qualify either.

16. Terry O'Keefe

Not qualify for ND or not qualify for Div1? That was the Tee Shepard problem, he was never qualified.

BTW: Irish Alum Jeff Samarzdja pitched a heck of a game yesterday a 2 hit 9 inning gem. He leads the majors in strikeouts and has a 2.85 ERA. Due to pitching for the Cubbies though he's only 3-6.

Bleacher Report claims a SEC team called ND about Golson.

17. George Krebs

I remember that Golson took an inordinate amount of time to learn the playbook. I also remember Rees coming in to games quickly as Golson appeared to unravel at key moments early last year.

Several sources are saying that he must have cheated to earn his dismissal from school and it has been reported that this was not his first incident, only the worst.

I would not expect to see him back.

18. Terry O'Keefe

Golson clearly has a lot of talent. But the criticism I have read about him is that he does not work hard at learning the playbook and that Mailk Zaire is way ahead of where Golson was after his first spring. As far as Golson coming back it appears that he could come back in January 2014 if he takes care of business. I don't know what that means, does it mean a certain GPA a certain number of hours taken, nobody has said. He said of course that he wants to come back.

If he doesn't come back and Hendrix gets accepted in medical school this year, then he and Rees both would be gone. Leaving only Zaire and who ever we sign at QB this year ..ie that means we are incredibly thin at QB. This is why a guy like Wes Lunt would make a lot of sense from our standpoint. But then for him he's unlikely to go someplace where he won't be penciled in as the starter from day 1, which won't happen at ND.

19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

After reading Terry's post above, I find it ironic that in the space of a couple of months, we go from "loaded" at the QB position to possibly facing a critical shortage of depth and experience in 2014. I personally believe we will be OK this season at the position, despite the current dilemma. I know my feelings are not shared by many here.

20. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

HAHA wait a sec... I just realized that we're not on the Gundy list. We should totally contact that kid!! hahahahaha

From a recruiting standpoint, given what happened to ND post Clausen and now this, there should never be another ND QB transferring out because he doesn't think he'll get a chance.

Kevin McDougal should be a much bigger legend on the ND campus than he is. We can honk on and on about Brady Quinn or Jimmy Clausen, or even Ron Powlus, but I'd still contend that the greatest season any QB at ND has had since the NC season was Kevin McDougal who only got the shot because freshman phenom Ron Powlus got hurt right before the season.

If not for 'Boston effing College' and some 'good ole boy politickin' by Bobby Bowden, McDougal would be honored along with Tony Rice. I'd contend that he still should be.

Not one QB I've mentioned in all of this ever had the year that Kevin Mc had, not one of them. He should be the model, the lesson taught to every incoming freshman class forever. He's precisely the embodiment of the ND legend.. not some GD Rudy..

As for our immediate situation, either Golsen will get his **** together or he won't. Rees still can't run worth a damn but he's got heart and that's what we need at the moment. We can unleash Hendrix' crazy ass on people (including our WRs) from time to time. I saw the spring game and that freshman looked as good as any of them. No point crying, just get to hitting. Defense and Oline win titles anyway. :)