Interesting Take on HS NIL

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Stu Ryckman, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

No problem, Sid...my bad, maybe. I never really meant any criticism of ANY private schools, summer traveling teams, etc...just thought it was an interesting perspective that the guy put out there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Throw in my 2 cents. In Texas we really don't have Privates competing with the Public Schools. They have their own league and rules. They are thriving with players who are headed to Div 1, like Alabama WR Jaylen Waddle. Many other examples.

Their are 2 Private Schools who compete in the Public School league. Strake Jesuit in Houston and Dallas Jesuit. They both have been able to compete with rules that address the whole recruiting issue.

Texas High School coaches were not keen on admitting them, as they pointed out the dominance of the Privates in Socal and Ohio and some other states. But political pressure from prominent people like Roger Staubach got them admitted

3. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Well I have to agree the article is interesting.

I don't really have an opinion at this point nor do I know enough about our high schools in NC other than the local high school here in Franklin does get a lot of community support.

4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Thanks, Stu. Definitely not your bad. I never thought you were being critical at all. You're one of the most level-headed guys here, among a bunch of other level-headed guys. That's what makes this forum so enjoyable for me. I usually learn a lot that I didn't know from our conversations. This topic was no exception. It started with the news commentary that you linked and led to my learning that there are a lot of different situations in different states re: high school athletics. They're not all like Indiana.

P.S Add Terry's description of Texas to the differing situations in different states. JO'Co could have given a a good analysis of the situation in California. If Corey's lurking, maybe he can chime in.

• Like Like x 3