Interesting Article About Developing NFL Talent

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Gator Bill, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

• Like Like x 1
  2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

No question recruiting is foremost if you want to be in the chase each year for the playoffs.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Look at those numbers for Alabama and Ohio State then look at the numbers for Clemson? Something doesn't compute. That time span has been a golden age for Clemson football and they only had 18 vs Alabama having 60 and Ohio State having 42...I guess it says a lot about Dabo and how he gets a lot out of his players. Look at the LSU number, says a lot about how LSU has squandered a motherload of talent.

I'm actually surprised at the ND numbers not being far off in terms of % of players in the 247 who come and then get drafted. Top 10.

But it's clear that 1) as Don says you have to have the talent first and 2) you have to develop it, even the 5 star players need development.

Gators at #1 also says that there has been a lot of talent at UF and the NFL has recognized that, but like LSU they haven't been able to capitalize on that talent. It's hard to figure, but you have to assume that in the UF case they just haven't had a good situation at HC and more importantly the lack of decent QB and offense has killed the them when they had a good number of future NFL players.

4. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

"Gators at #1 also says that there has been a lot of talent at UF and the NFL has recognized that, but like LSU they haven't been able to capitalize on that talent. It's hard to figure, but you have to assume that in the UF case they just haven't had a good situation at HC and more importantly the lack of decent QB and offense has killed the them when they had a good number of future NFL players"

Perfect analysis Terry of where the Gators have been for the past 9-10 years.

Last year we had a coach who seems to know how to channel that talent into wins on the field and a QB with talent that learned how to be a winner under the coach's tutelage.

I was a little but not a lot surprised to see Florida #1 on this list because every year when you watch the upcoming NFL draft the Gators always seem to have guys in the top tier.

One thought is that this list oughta be one helluva recruiting tool for Mullen.

5. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Actually a lot of those Gator numbers go back to the end of Urban Meyer's tenure and not many from our last coach. A bit misleading in that sense.

But I hope seeing those numbers keep recruits coming our way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Motorcity Gator

I posted the following back in October 2017 when it became obvious to me what this list posted by Bill clearly illustrates:

"Whoever has been the head coach of truly the best 4-8 team ever in college football must have had one hell of a bad coaching year.

I have been seeing so many ex-UF players in the NFL lately who played under Will Muschamp I had to look back on the 2013 Florida team that went 4-8 overall and 3-5 in the SEC.

I checked the roster of that team and there are 28 players on current NFL rosters!!!

WTF? How in the hell can you go 4-8 losing to Ga Southern in the process and have 28 NFL players on your roster?

Nice going Willy."

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

2010 was the first recruiting class that was considered, that was Urban Meyer's last class at UF as he retired after the 2010 season, likely though a lot of the 2011 kids were recruited by Meyer as well but Muschamp was the coach when they signed in Feb 2011. So it'd be interesting to see how many of those 37 players that the article gave UF credit for were in the 2010 and 2011 classes. Muschamp isn't exactly tearing it up at So.Carolina, but then they don't have the resources and recruiting that he had available when he was at UF. Although according to wiki his 22 wins in his first 3 seasons is better than either Holtz or Spurrier. Spurrier had 21 wins in his 1st 3 seasons at So. Carolina, Holtz was 0-11 his first year then won 8 and 9 games plus 2 big wins in the Outback Bowl over Ohio State...one of which basically got John Cooper fired.

8. Motorcity Gator

Muschamp was a great recruiter at Florida.... brought in some highly rated classes.... just couldn't coach offense a lick and wouldn't leave it alone.

At South Carolina now he has to deal with that in-state beast Clemson.