I Cried

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Guest, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Finally today. I've been totally overwhelmed by events. I watched a tape of the the first Letterman show with Dan Rather and I saw him lose it and I lost it too.

I was raised (right or wrong) to believe that men don't cry.

I didn't cry when my father died. I didn't cry when my mother died. I didn't cry when the marriage I had such great hopes for turned out to be a sham and disintergrated.

I finally cried for those innocents who lost their lives and for our nation who now must begin a period of great sacrifice and hardship. I cried for those who will lose loved ones in the struggle ahead. I cried because at this point of my life I can be nothing more than a spectator.

I cried because of the frustration and rage I feel and have nowhere to direct it. The enemy doesn't have a face or a name. bin Laden is the tip of the iceberg. I want to lash out but I have no target.

The games are coming back this weekend and I'll find comfort in that. I'm heading up to State College later tonight for the PSU-Wisconsin game and maybe for those three or so hours I can lose myself in matters that in the light of what is seem trivial.

It's not going to be the same for a while. Jopa is on Real Sports on HBO this week and it seems so irrelevant.

Godspeed to those who are heading into the fray....

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

You're not alone.
    I couldn't keep the eyes dry last night.
    We'll start to forget. I don't think that we should.
    Mike

3. CDAY

CDAY New Member

Jon Stewart, of the Daily Show, said something great last night. He was stating how people have described these terrorists as cunning, intelligent, and so forth. He replied with something to the effect:

Any fool can destroy things. It takes intelligence to build things.

We need to pray for those who have to put their lives on the line because of the self-deluded actions of an idiot. Pray that our military is provided with safety and success.

4. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Mike,
    In the coming days and weeks and months and years I'm afraid there will be too many TV shots of those sick Islamic excrementists ...I mean extremists showing their contempt for freedom and declaring "Jihad" on all that is good and free. Hopefully over time they will feel the wrath of our forces and begin to quiet and to cast off those who lead them so astray. In the meantime...their sick displays will not let us forget.

5. jif5

jif5 Well-Known Member

I never thought any "event" would disolve my interest in sports..any sport..but for now at least Ive lost it. jif

6. BUGEATER

BUGEATER New Member

J.I.F., you moron.

You're gonna be bored stiff over the next ten years if you're glued to CNN 16 hours a day. Now get your ass into the contest, and do it NOW before it's too late.

jb

GO BROWN!!!

7. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

jif,

I have to also admit that the world of sports at this time has a very minor place in my life.

I really don't care at this time who's playing or who will be playing...That's not to say it won't matter but not much interest at this time.

RC

8. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

JB,
    I agree that we have to get back to what makes us enjoy this country but I must admit I am letting 2 tickets to tommorrow's UK-UF tilt go unused. When I thought of driving 6 hours down to Lexington to see a Gator mauling of KY vs. staying with my wife and kids for the weekend I decided it was a weekend to stay home. I hate I won't be going but these are extraordinarily tough times.

[This message has been edited by Motorcity Gator (edited 09-21-2001).]

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Tod,

As Mike and the others stated, you are not alone... Partake in a few cold ones and have a good time this weekend. Find what helps you heal and move on, that's what we need to do.

I feel your pain in that you don't feel you can do anything, but I believe you can... Hokie as this is going to sound, we all can. We all need to do everything we can to get the life of the American culture and economy rolling again...

As tough as it will be with everyone on pins and needles, but it is time that we all try to get on with life..If you remember the Shawshank Redemption you've got two choices "Get busy livin', or get busy dyin.'

One another note:

I have this feeling that some more jackass professors are going to be organizng protests and may target football games/tailgates to make their statement. If anyone saw the O'Rieley factor tonight, you saw two prime examples of the "boobery" that runs too many colleges and college towns today.

10. HoustonLarry

HoustonLarry New Member

Corey,

You want the idiot of all idiots check out this clown at U of Texas named Jensen and his article that should embarrass that fine school.

By the way does anyone really think a guy like Robert Reich adds anything to a solid discussion? O'Reilly, please never bring him back.

11. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Corey,

Did you forget the link or am I missing something?

------------------
    Tennessee Tom McCord
    Go Vols! '98 National Champions!!!<B>
    It's Football Time in Tennessee!!!</B>
    tbmccord@austin.rr.com

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Tom,

O'Rieley has a TV show on Fox... He claims to be neither conservative or liberal but he certainly likes to provokes people..

Two nights ago, he had a city councilman from Berkeley and a professor from a campus in MA, but the name escapes me at the moment.

There wasn't really much of a link to it as it was a TV program.. I could give you a few links to the various campus protests that have been taking place but I figured it was stuff that people already knew.

13. m-gobluegal

m-gobluegal New Member

Tod,
    I've seen many men cry these past two weeks. Crying isn't a show of weakness it's letting your emotions go and releaving tensions. IMHO...your a true blue man and American! [​IMG] Keep your chin up, we have many hard days ahead.

The Spirit of America will not die!

Cindy