Hypocrisy??? Nah, not me.

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by Tennessee Tom, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

IMG_5546.jpeg With all of the Death Before Prius slogans, you might think that purchasing a full EV might be hypocrisy on my part. One needs to know the background on the DBP issue.

when Prius came out, most, not all, of the owners looked down their collective noses at us car enthusiasts. They were better than us for “saving the planet”. We campaigned against the owners, not the car.

With that said, I just bought a Tesla model Y with an estimated range of 319 miles before recharging. It will be Cindy’s daily driver for the most part. We have the solar capacity to charge it daily at home for free.

it is being delivered on Sunday at 2:30 in Charlotte, NC, about 2 hours from home.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Awesome, Tom!

3. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

That's cool, Tom.

My worries are about actually getting the 300 miles, particularly in cold weather or high speed driving (You???Cindy??? Naw!). But you know more about cars and technology than I do.

Other problem would be ensuring charging on long trips if the car wasn't just a commuter. I know they are "planning the infrastructure" But where the heck are they gonna put all those charging stations to service everybody? How are they going to power them in the South and in California where they are already having blackouts and brownouts?

But my BIGGEST holdup is that neither of my places (condos) have the infrastructure for charging in the parking lots. They are planning to do so in the future in Florida, but the maintenance guy in Ohio says that our building doesn't have the ability to add them without major, major redo. (54 y/o building w underground parking garage.)

PS...Always kinda liked the Prius...though when my son owned one we called him a "Prius Snob".:D

4. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Stu, Tesla is the LEADER in charging capability. There are Tesla superchargers all over the country. I mapped out a trip back to Austin to see friends in my old neighborhood. There was a plethora of superchargers on that 1100 mile one way trip. Superchargers are capable of giving you 200 miles of charge while you leisurely take in a meal.

We decided we needed to make more stops on trips to get out and move around.

As for speed, we have put that aside. Have not owned a performance car since leaving Texas. This model Y will accelerate better than anything we have owned. 0-60 in 4.8 seconds is nothing at which to sneeze.

It is primarily her daily driver and our solar panels will provide the charge at home. I think we will enjoy it.

5. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

An EV would fit my current life style. I could have a charger in the garage, and my daily use is usually at most 40-50 miles, most days 10-20 miles. My longest drive is to Austin which is 150 Miles. I haven't noted a EV Charging station on my route, which is 1-10 to SH 71 to my brothers house.

Right now though my current Equinox just passed 100K miles and is in good repair. I put about 10k/year on it so it's got a few more years. The way things are developing though my next car say 3 years down the road probably will be a EV.