Hows everyone's team doing in basketball this year so far???

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by The Gamecock Outlaw, Jan 26, 2009.

1. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

That's a bunch of Croc' Stu

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Lol....that new avatar Bill has is just plain creepy! I keep looking at it trying to figure out if the thing has a scarf on it or what.

3. The Gamecock Outlaw

The Gamecock Outlaw New Member

Well South Carolina lost to Miss State on Wed night so I guess there really isn't a team in the SEC east that wants to win that title!

4. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

You don't remember that one Terry?

You sized it for me one time.

I think what you are calling a scarf is a jersey.

5. Terry O'Keefe

I shoulda prettied it up for you Bill...made into a Longhorn or a Leprechaun!!! :)

6. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

B10 race tightening up...Purdue destroys MSU at W. Lafayette now Purdue is within one game of MSU... We have to win a tough game against tOSU, take care of business with a few games we should win, and then the conference race could come down to our last game against MSU on March 7 (unfortunately an away game.)

7. Gator Bill

Gators beat Vandy, Kentucky beats Tennessee, S. Carolina playing tonight. If the Gamecocks win we have a three way tie in the East.

Unfortunately for the Gators we lose all tiebreakers.

8. The Gamecock Outlaw

Carolian won tonight so we have a 3 way tie in the East.

9. Gator Bill

So Outlaw, of the four teams tied going into yesterday who do you see as having the inside track to win the East.

Because the Gators have the worst divisional record of the four I don't see us as having the inside track to win the East. We also play Tennessee and Kentucky. Tennessee has beaten us 6 straight if my memory serves and Kentucky has beaten us two straight. Fortunately for the Gators both are home games. Then we play at LSU and at Miss State.

I like our chances at a first day bye and the NCAA, but if we don't win all four of those then I don't see us winning the East.

10. The Gamecock Outlaw

I would say Tennessee. They have already beaten USC once. And I think they have the most talent and experience. South Carolina has the best back court but a lack of depth is going to hurt us. Already is, we struggled with Arkansas who most teams have been dragging.

11. The Gamecock Outlaw

South Carolina steam rolled Kentucky on Wednesday night with a 77-59 win. South Carolina never trailed and lead by no less than 18 in the second half. USC set a school record with 16 blocks as well.

South Carolina now sits alone top of the SEC East.

12. AQUILA

AQUILA New Member

I saw today that ESPN will carry the Tennessee @ USC game next Thursday at 7pm. It should be a great game. I didn't expect South Carolina to do this well this season. Did the fanbase expect the Cocks to be this good? They control their own destiny whereas Tennessee needs some help although they can help themselves considerably by beating Florida again this Sunday.

Speaking of college hoops, how many teams do you SEC fans think get in from the conference? I think LSU is the only lock. After that, you have the group of four from the East. I'm not sure all four get in. Tennessee really controls their own destiny because of their RPI of 26. If the Vols win the last 3 on the schedule they're in, IMO. If they slip up once then they may need to win a conference tourney game or two. I think with South Carolina's resounding win against the 'Cats, they're a close to a lock as well as long as they don't lose out. I don't see the committee keeping Jodie Meeks and the Wildcats out either as long as they don't totally implode although their RPI won't do them any favors. I think the only questionable team in the East is the Gators. I can easily see them getting left out. I think they have to beat Tennessee on Sunday. The Gators have a good RPI at 43 but their schedule strength is only ranked 94th. They probably get in too though which would give the SEC 5 teams overall. I think Miss. St. is out as a result of their loss to the Vols last night. I don't think Auburn gets in either.

The thing that hurts teams that are on the bubble is the fact that you have teams like Maryland and Providence upsetting UNC and Pitt respectively. A lot will be determined by how the conference tourneys play out for teams like Tennessee. Of course, win the SEC tourney and you don't have to worry about. However, I don't think Tennessee is set up well to compete in any tournament. They're not consistent and their guard play is hardly stellar. They can be extremely dangerous and they can be plain awful. You never know what you're going to get but that seems to be the case with all of the top 4 in the East. Should be an interesting week and a half....

13. Gator Bill

LSU has the best record in the SEC and will win the West.

S. Carolina has the inside track in the East and seems to be getting stronger as the year goes by. There are a number of Gator fans who think S. Carolina will win the SEC tournament and go as far as the elite eight.

I't a dogfight between Florida, Kentucky and Tennessee for the runnerup spot in the east.

Congratulations to the Gamecocks.

Tennessee also won at Miss State last night.

14. Terry O'Keefe

after reading all the stuff about the SEC West/East and who's going to win and everything...I'm glad that in the Big East and the Big 12 we don't have the division deal like you guys do. Best record is the top seed, next best is the 2nd seed, and so on.... Seems so simple. I regular season champion, not 2.

15. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

The Gators are at 21 wins and I think they need 23 to get in.

That means two wins out of MSU, KY, Tenn which are all at home and the opening round game in the SEC tournament.

That's about what I see....2 wins and a final record of 23-10 but I would like to see at least one win in the SEC tourney to be sure.

16. AQUILA

AQUILA New Member

MCG, that sounds about right.

They got left out last year after losing their last 4 (including one in the SEC tourney) and finishing with 21 wins. I think you're right, if they win 23, they're in.

17. The Gamecock Outlaw

Carolina fans didn't expect this from this team. We knew we would give teams a run for their money but being it was Horn's first year we weren't sure if they players would buy into the system but they have. We also have a lot of depth issues and while it may not be hurting us too bad right now, you will see it hurt us come SEC and NCAA Tournament time when you are required to play back to back days or every other day for the first two games of the NCAA. We will get tired quickly so I don't see us making it out of the 2nd round of the NCAA but I think we could get to the Semis in the SEC.

18. Gator Bill

Terry, I think it won't make that much difference. There's not much difference in the top two seeds anyway and LSU has cinched one of them, the other will come from the east which will have the second best record anyway also.

Where it might make a difference is in the 3/4 seeds which also get a bye. According to what happens with Miss State this week, their record could be worse than an East team that doesn't get a bye.

Other than that I think there won't be that much difference between the two conference brackets.

To bad that the Big 12 didn't do that with football, because the best team, Texas, was on the sideline for the Championship game. :(

But you know that.

Gator Bill

19. Gator Bill

Would have been a strange looking Longhorn or Leprechaun.

But a better one from my viewpoint! :)

20. Gator Bill

Kong wouldn't have a chance!! :)