Hot Stove

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by JO'Co, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Astros could use a top young prospect at catcher. I like Chirinos behind the plate but he's a liability at the plate. Our top prospect in the minors is a kid who is 5'10' 175lbs who can't finish a season, he payed at USC (Garrett Stubbs), he reportedly gets worn down at the end of seasons, just can't handle everyday duties.

2. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

If they could get Harper to agree to 7, I'd pull the trigger. He's a lot better than folks realize. Pollock is a hell of a grab though and you got to keep the prospects. Even better, the Dodger killers of the past are donning the blue.

3. Terry O'Keefe

RIP Frank Robinson. Man I do remember Frank, both at Cincy and Baltimore...he was one of the true all time greats.

4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Frank Robinson. One of the greatest of my lifetime. R.I.P.

5. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

He played the game like he was mad at the world with a style all his own. His socks were "high whites." He did "the matador" when pitches were thrown at his head. He sneered at pitchers who hit him explaining, "They can't win by giving away free bases." He refused to sign autographs and waded through crowds of kids who idolized him. In his only year with the Dodgers, the players elected him captain and he held "Kangaroo Courts" to levy fines on those who made mistakes. He was all ferocious all the time. I don't have to see Ty Cobb...I saw Frank Robinson.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Well said, Jim.

7. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I idolized him as a kid. In 1964 my Dad took me to Crosley Field and I wore my Delco Little League uniform with #20 on the back. I wore it every year and I even tried to pattern my batting stance after his unique closed, stiff legged stance.
    We got their early and I was armed with the scorecard and a pencil and my Dad positioned us along a 4 foot high chain link fence under the grandstand where the players walked by to get to the field from the clubhouse. Along comes Robinson walking with Vada Pinson and as he approached I blurted out Mr. Robinson can I have your autograph. He acted like he didn't here me so I quickly repeated it. His exact response was "Get lost".
    That was a hell of a thing to say to a 10 year old. My Dad went nuts, yelling after him and I was crushed. But I never wore that number again in any sport. That bubble was burst forever. Great ballplayer. Not so great a person.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Well Kyler Murray has officially stiffed the Oakland A's and is giving back the money and going all in on being a NFL QB. He was great in his 1 year as a college QB, but he is very small and slight and I have to wonder if 1) his game will translate to the NFL and 2) even if it does can he take the pounding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Kyler Murray is making a mistake. Jeff Samardzija is 34 and he's still making millions with Frisco. The NFL doesn't give contracts that long to kick returners.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I agree.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Trevor Bauer, the Indians pitcher who cast some shadows on the Astros pitchers last year over their spin rates, just won his arbitration with the Indians and will be paid 13M a year, but apparently in his opinion (might be 100% right) the Indians cast some aspersions on his character during the arbitration and he didn't like it and said that he'll be back in arbitration next year and then the following year when he's eligible for free agency..he's out of there. Of course that's a long time, things can change.

12. IrishCorey

Sounds like good trade bait.

13. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Trevor Bauer is an interesting guy...very smart and certainly a free thinker. He's not really upset with the Indians about the arbitration. I don't think that there is as much resentment as you imply.

Cleveland Indians’ Trevor Bauer takes second swing at having his character assassinated

You are right...he will definitely be gone after 2020 but that will not be because of any issues with the Indians as much as he will be priced too high for them. He has now stated that after he is eligible for free agency he will negotiate one year deals. That's a real risk/reward thing for him. Some teams will be turned off by it and some won't. He has the possibility of making more money on large one year deals, or the possibility of injury etc. shortening his career. Most players are looking for security.

He is a very confident young man and speaks his mind for sure.

14. Terry O'Keefe

RIP Don Newcombe. 1955 was my first year that I can remember being a Dodger fan, that team had all my hero's on it and they played in a Magical place called Brooklyn. As a kid I dreamed of getting to see Brooklyn, Ebbets Field and my Heros. Newcombe, Podres, Hodges, Pee Wee, Furrillo, Jackie, Sandy, Carl Erskine, Gilliam, Clem, and most of all the Duke. 55 and 56 were great seasons for Don Newcombe.

RIP.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

RIP Don Newcombe. Remember him well. I loved the Dodgers during my childhood, primarily because I hated the Yankees. The Dodgers, Cubs, and Cardinals were responsible my growing up a NL fan. Newcombe was a big part of those great 50s Dodgers teams.

• Like Like x 1
  16. IrishCorey

I know the Dodgers are loaded and all, but what are you going to do when Harper signs with the Giants?

17. Terry O'Keefe

Baseball is going to implement some new rules to try and prevent sign stealing. Apparently in baseball if you aren't cheating you aren't trying! :)

Among the new rules, according to the SI.com report, would be:

• A ban on in-house outfield cameras from foul pole to foul pole.

• Live broadcasts limited to each team's designated replay official, who in turn will be monitored by a security expert.

• Having all other TV monitors, such as those in the clubhouse and bullpens, on an eight-second delay.
    Penalties for violation of the rules would include the forfeiting of draft picks and/or international spending money, according to the report.

18. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Who is going to police all of this?

• Like Like x 1
  19. IrishCorey

8 second delay isn't going to prevent anything. If anything, it will give you a bit more time to study what's going on since you don't have the pressure of finding it in real time. Then, there's the pitchers. What do you do about them? Every off day pitcher that isn't playing poker in the bullpen does nothing but sit there and try to steal signs.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Dodgers apparently have made an offer to Harper for a "short" term deal. No indication what "short" means, is it 5 years when Harper wants 10? It would seem that Manny's 10 year deal will make it very hard for Harper to take fewer years unless the per/year amount is significantly higher. He's a young player for sure but if he signs a short deal now hoping that he'll be worth even more in the future he's taking a big risk that he won't due to age/injuries/decline in ability.

• Like Like x 1