Hot Stove 2021

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by JO'Co, Nov 25, 2020.

1. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Dodgers sign Trevor Bauer.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Trevor was an Astros hater before being an Astros hater was cool. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I'm curious. What is the Dodgers projected payroll this year? And what is the price of a bleacher seat? Or a beer?

4. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

The Dodgers have only one player signed beyond this year: Mookie Betts. Bauer has only this year guaranteed at $46 million. Beyond that, the trick will be to resign Corey Seager, Cody Bellinger, and Walker Buehler next season. The organization is rolling in dough. They make billions from their tv contracts alone and they sell more souvenirs than Disneyland. The ownership group that bought this franchise is the gold standard for all team sports.

I've never been a fan of Trevor Bauer and his attitude, so my mind is open. He's a local from UCLA and Hart HS, so he should fit in OK, but he'll have to show me...

5. George Krebs

I remember when the Yankees signed A-Rod for $25M per year and we all gasped. Now Trevor Bauer gets $46M !

6. Terry O'Keefe

Looks like Carlos Correa is going to be an Astro for quite awhile longer. Signed a one year deal to avoid arbitration and they will work on a long term deal. He's said he'd like to play here his whole career.

7. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Dodgers avoid arbitration with Walker Buehler. He's signed for 2 years.
    The team is currently $28 million over the salary cap.
    This may be Kershaw's final season at $36 million per.

Among the cheaper alternatives is Edwin Rios at 3B instead of Turner.
    The all-time record for HRs per at-bat is:
    1. Mark McGwire
    2. Edwin Rios
    3. Babe Ruth

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Fernando Tatis, 14 years 340 million dollars....what could go wrong.:rolleyes:

9. George Krebs

This is all insanity. I think most of these larger market teams depend on their cable TV contracts to fund a lot of this nonsense. Last year 15% of American households cut the cord. In 2021 another 27% are expected to follow suit. That does not lend itself to long term deals or that kind of money per.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

I've never heard of this, but after reading it I'm not surprised that somebody is willing to give a kid money against his future earnings. I don't know how much of a sure thing Tatis was as a 19 y/o minor leaguer but unless he really needed the money it probably wasn't a good deal. Sort of like selling your lottery ticket future checks for money right now...J G Wentworth Cash now!

Fernando Tatis Jr. will not get the entire $340 million.

Taxes will cut into his new 14-year agreement with the Padres, of course. But Tatis also must pay off a previous obligation, a deal he made during the 2017-18 offseason, when he was turning 19 years old and preparing for his first full season at Double A.

It was then that Tatis entered into a contract with Big League Advance (BLA), a company that offers select minor leaguers upfront payments in exchange for a percentage of their future earnings in Major League Baseball. Neither Tatis nor BLA has revealed the exact percentage he owes the company.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

I believe the Padres have targeted the Dodgers!

The excitement around the Padres, and what it signals about the direction of this upstart franchise, is already noticeable.

Tatis has yet to even register a full season's worth of major league games, but he's the first player in history with at least 35 home runs and 25 stolen bases in his first 150 games. His talent, his flair, his personality and his ability to connect with English- and Spanish-speaking audiences have helped him secure major endorsements with companies such as Gatorade and Adidas.

That he's at the center of a Padres roster suddenly brimming with talent -- featuring Manny Machado, Chris Paddack and the newly acquired Yu Darvish, Blake Snell and Ha-seong Kim -- only adds to Tatis' mystique. The Padres reside in a relatively small market but will soon join the New York Yankees as the only teams with two players possessing $300-plus-million contracts.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Astros had their first full squad workout yesterday. Baseball id definitely underway now.