Heisman Trophy

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Tailback, Nov 14, 2006.

1. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Just for the record Gip
    att compl yards yd per att pct td int rating
    2004 602 358 4258 7.1 59.5 38 13 135.4
    2003 601 353 4199 7 58.7 29 20 126.7
    2002 624 349 4474 7.2 55.9 25 22 122.3
    2001 140 83 1100 7.9 59.3 6 6 130.9

2006 380 275 3753 9.88 72.37 43 7 189

Colt still has 3 games to play. Look at the huge difference between Colt and Chang. Give this kid some respect.

2. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

OK...another rule change...first it was "numbers" then it was "best player", and now you want it "most valuable."

Whatever.
    Spoken like a man who for some reason has not a clue what our offense depends upon.

's ok...it is what it is and I sure don't have any control over it.

3. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

For the record AJ
    Quinn holds just about every QB record at ND. There have been a number of Heisman winning QBs down there and some who maybe should have. If you want to look at records, that impresses me a hell of a lot more.

4. Stu Ryckman

Well he should have...he's been starting there for six years.

At least it seems like it. :lol: :lol:

5. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Stu , Your offense runs the ball 60 % of the time. How does that make Smith so instrumental if you are using that as part of the definition of Heisman? Notre Dame passes the ball 53% of the time.

The best QB in college numbers wise is Colt Brennen. In fact he may be having the greatest year EVER by a college QB. 189 QB rating high TD to int rate 10 yards per attempt.

Smith doesn't even come close to him. The Heisman should go to someone who has numbers. I'm sorry but Smith doesn't have it. All he is is an excellent QB on an excellent team.

If Smith played for Hawaii, he wouldn't even be considered.

att compl yards yd per att pct td int rating
    BRENNAN 2006 380 275 3753 9.88 72.37 43 7 189.00

CHANG 2004 602 358 4258 7.10 59.50 38 13 135.40
    WARE 1989 578 365 4699 8.13 63.14 46 15 152.50
    KLINGER 1990 643 374 5140 7.99 58.16 54 20 146.80
    DETMER 1990 562 361 5188 9.23 64.23 41 28 155.89

QUINN 2006 357 230 2786 7.80 64.43 29 4 154.50
    SMITH 2006 256 170 2191 8.56 66.41 26 4 168.70

Ware and Detmer were Heisman winners. Their numbers don't come close to Colt Brennan.

6. Stu Ryckman

Piffle...

So we pass 13% less than ND...could be that all those close games ND played are part of the reason? How does that make him a better player?

Could it be that he is the reason we jumped out to leads? Could it be that at the Illinois game the reason it sort of became close at the end was because we eschewed Troy Smith in the second half and tryed to rely on that "juggernaut" running game I am suddenly reading about?

Again...I'm not claiming that Troy Smith is a better football player or a better choice for Heisman...I just think you guys are clueless as to just what makes our offense go...I've tried to give you a hint. :roll:

7. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

I think Quinn is a legit Heisman candidate. I don't have a problem with him. He's got numbers and imho, ND can't win without Quinn. Smith could have missed the entire year and the Buckeyes would have won at least 9 games. That's not a slap at Smith, but a tribute to how strong the Buckeyes are and pointing out the fact this is not a QB oriented team. Smith may have been worth 1 or 2 victories. How many is Quinn worth? Brennan ? So who is the best player? Who is the most valuable player?

BTW Did you see the stats posted for Ware & Detmer ? Colt Brennen blows em away. They say he'll be the 1st QB chosen 2 years from now.
    He's got the arm, legs and accuracy.

8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, Detmer opened they the year beating defending NC Miami. Quite a difference to starting the year losing to a sub par Alabama team.
    As for Ware, he's just a perfect example of a Heisman winner who had numbers and no talent.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Last two weeks have a lot of drama, the OSU/UM game, the USC/ND game the potential Ark/UF SECCG, the Heisman. Fast and most likely contentious finish to the regular season.

Obviously I like Brady Quinn and he's got my vote, but as I said before if Troy wins that's fine with me. Last year I liked Vince Young and thought he was the best football player in college, but Reggie got it. USC had so much talent while Reggie was there that it allowed him to do what he does best, but if Reggie wasn't there they still had so much talent that they would have won anyway. Texas wouldn't have won without Vince Young, and ND would be a .500 team without Brady.

:D :D :D

10. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

BYU played Miami at home. That must have made up for the beatings they took at the hands of Hawaii 59-28, A & M 65-14 and Oregon 32-16.

1st game of the year, no one is subpar and this was on the road.
    Even a subpar Bama team is still a good defensive team.

11. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

8)
    re: Colt Brennan

The jury is still out on Brennan. He's a local from Mater Dei HS in Santa Ana which is one of the great high school programs in the country. He wasn't highly recruited out of high school and landed at Colorado, where he was a back-up and got into trouble. Returning to Orange County at Saddleback JC (where me pal Johnny Hennigan was coaching the last time I looked) he began to show his potential as a passer. At Hawaii, he's in a program with a specialty offense that throws the ball on every down.

He's good alright. He's a late bloomer and its always hard to judge those guys until you can see them against big conference teams. Hawaii finishes this season against Oregon State and Purdue. Let's see if he's still completing 73% against them...

........JO'Co

12. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

8)
    Here are Brennan's stats to date. Please note that he threw for miles of yards against Utah State, but his numbers were way down against Alabama. We need to see more before we annoint him as the newest phenom...

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/100976

13. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Jimmy,

Those are NFL QB ratings. These guys would be all over me if they started to compare his NFL rating to their college ratings.

Here's Stassen. Colt's Bama game works out to a not too shabby 145.45

http://football.stassen.com/pass-eff/

I do agree that the next few games will seal his fate. 72% and 189 rating is absolutely phenomenal. If he sneezes his rating will go down.

PS. This guy was under the radar because he was a backup to Leinhart at Mater dei and only had 1 year as a starting QB. The experts claim he has a much stronger arm and has greater mobility than Leinhart and Chang.
    We'll see, but no way does Ware,Detmer or Klingers' numbers compare to his.

14. whobedis

whobedis New Member

PIFFLE????? :) I haven't heard that since I caught a re-run of "Drums Along the Mohawk"on AMC. #1 on my list of why I luv "Doc Death" :D
    Bags are packed and I'm oughta here .....see ya friday night Stu.
    Ohhh by the way my "un-biased" non recording vote goes to..........................TROY SMITH!!!!!! :lol:

15. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Interesting Ware and Detmer were Heisman winners and Troy's QB rating is superior to both of them....he is at the helm of an offensive "juggernaut" - Krebsie's words - in part because imho, Troy Smith is the most difficult defensive assignment in college football today.

He has many fewer attempts in part because of a different offense, in part because we're always ahead and running the football to control the game and the clock and we're always ahead in large measure because of the brilliant play of Troy. He's had few opportunities to put the team on his shoulders to win the game late because he's played so well early that he spends the 4th quarter on the bench....however, I'm sure BobDa can weigh in on Smith's performance the last time we were behind late in a ballgame.....down 2 scores late in the game in Ann Arbor.....Buckeyes win due in large part to Smith's brilliant play.

In my humble, unbiased :twisted: opinion, there is no player in college football today that is playing ALL facets of their position better, is more feared by opposing coaches and is more responsible for their teams' standing than Troy Smith.

16. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Let's look at it this way, with one game left to play Smith hasnt' played a down against the two strongest conference foes in the BT.
    His contribution against PSU was cheering on the defense late in the game as they ran back some ints. He beat Tex. but they were lit up like a Christmas tree by KSU. And then there was Ill.

17. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

hmmmm......perhaps he did a little more than cheer the defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnjgP5gyHUU

....that was 60 yards in the air - on the run.
    He's taken a few snaps against the Stripeheads.....ask BobDA!

Gip, you and I both know that the argument that Smith has not proven himself against worthy competition is non-starter....why so cranky this morning? Smith's numbers against common foes is superior to those of Quinn. Taking it another step, Smith's performance against the highest rated teams we've played - UM, ND, Texas is off the charts.

I don't have a problem with you rooting for Brady but there's no reason to trash Smith as if he's unworthy....that's just not credible.

18. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Come on tell the truth. How many of you guys ever heard of Colt Brennan?

He is on pace to having the greatest season EVER by a college football QB. If he keeps it up, he will break Shawn King's record for pass effciency.

It is absolutely incredible when a QB whose offense throws the ball as much as he does can do so at an efficiency rating of 189. If any of you bother to look at run & shoot you NEVER see ratings that high.

http://www.midweek.com/content/columns/curranevents_article/colt_deserves_heisman_votes/

19. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Is anybody surprised that Chad Henne isn't giving Troy more of a run for the trophy? He's the QB of an undefeated B10 team. The schedule for UM has seemingly been more difficult since they had to play both ND and Wisconsin.

AJNJ, I would think that if Colt continues his season against the major conference foes that he has comming up, then next year will be his year to be in the conversation from the get go. This year probably has to be considered his comming out year.

Terry

20. Stu Ryckman

Yeah, I've heard of Colt Brennan...

We get to face him the last game of the year and we're figuring he's going to clock us.

Obviously numbers do impress you.

For consistency of critisicm; Troy Smith got dinged here for facing the 48th ranked schedule while Brady Quinn has faced the 22nd (it will tighten up this week)...Colt Brennan has faced the 119th (and it will go down after we play them :()