GOLF

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Didn't watch golf today but I see that Scottie is still holding on to the lead, tied with Shane Lowry at -9.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Only caught the final 9 holes, but Scottie clearly was in complete control. It's what happens when he's putting well. He's bound to be the favorite now at the Players, but they said there has never been a back/back winner in the 50 years of the Players.

Players will be more for me this year since I played Sawgrass last year!!

3. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Not watching as many tournaments as I used to. Sometimes I'll turn on one look at the leader board and think I watching the Korn Ferry tour. To me the big loss was Rahm. It would be much more interesting if Spieth would contend more often. Cantlay and Schaufle haven't been setting the tour on fire lately either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I agree Mike, golf is not quite the same anymore. I find myself watching less and less.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Finally a leaderboard I recognize all the names!! Rory had a great day, esp considering how badly he finished at Bay Hill. Scottie had a good day as well. Weather was great and the course in tip top condition, greens were soft and welcoming.

6. Terry O'Keefe

FWIW today's pin position, on 17, is what it was when I played. I was pin high as far right as you can be and still be on the green. 2 putts later I was in for par!

Oh yeah and I wasn't hitting gap or pitching wedge, went at it with an 8 iron!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Watched Rory last 2 holes, his tee shot on 17 was a little long but still on the green above the hole, his birdie putt was from almost the same spot as my par putt, but he missed it and I made it!! I ended up above the hole from hole high right because I thought there was a big breker and pushed it even further above the hole. Not a good birdie putt, but I some how got the read right for the downhill putt, he didn't.

Also on 18 our drives ended up in almost the same spot, except of course I was hitting from Senior Tee's and he was way, way, way, back from that. But my pin was back and today's pin was up. He had 128 to the pin I had 150 to the pin. He hit some kind of wedge right of the green pin high, I hit my 7 hybrid to 6 inches for the birdie and he got up and down for the par. We won't talk about how I played #11.

8. Terry O'Keefe

It's a great leaderboard, Clark was really dialed in today, and Scottie was battling a sore neck but hung in there and is in the mix. Rory didn't play anywhere close to what he did on Thursday, shot a 73.

Dunlap din't make the cut, agan. Learning, learning.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Xander came out today on fire and ran down Clark who had a 4 shot lead and now leads him by 1. His chip from the deep rough on 18 was a thing of beauty. Clark chunked his tee ball into the water, way short, on 17 giving Xander the opening.

Scottie had a nice day and is in contention in spite of the ongoing neck issues. Brian Harman had a great day.

It's been a great tourney so far.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Quite a 4 way battle down the last nine, Scottie has come alive and Xander and Clark are keeping up along with Brian Harman. I just saw Scottie miss what looked like a sure birdie on 14 after a great tee ball and it was inside 5 feet. He's been putting great the last two tournaments, except for that short putt on 14.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Scottie does it. Clark almost forced a playoff with that last putt that wouldn't go down.

Really good tournament.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Xander seemed to have it under cntrol until his two boggies on the back 9. He hit a great shot on 17 and missed the tying putt. Clark's horseshoe on 18 was painful to watch. In slow motion it was even crueler.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Terry O'Keefe

Not sure what's going on with PIF and the PGA Tour, but there are "secret" talks gong on with PGA Tour Players board, Spieth, Adam Scott, Cantlay, and some other reportedly met with the PIF reps in the Bahama's yesterday.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Valspar is the last stop on the Florida section of the PGA Tour, coming after the Players and the Arnold Palmer I expect the field will have only a few of the remaining big names. JT and Xander are in the field though.

15. Terry O'Keefe

What's the most interesting thing so far at the Valspar? This, and I want one not to mention I want to know what it is. The other thing is Champions Tour player Stewart Cink is tied for the lead!

Streelman tried out a new ball marker during the pro-am. The circular piece on the top has a solid line and it has a long spike to put in the ground. He looks at the line and can turn the piece to give him a good visual before lining up his golf ball.

But he wanted to make sure it was legal, so the PGA Tour rules staff checked with the USGA. The spike can be no longer than an inch, so Streelman filed it down to that size.

"It's kind of cool little new ball marker I'm using that is legal that can kind of give you some visual cues that I think is pretty helpful," Streelman said. "I was using that today, which I think kind of helped, as well."

16. Terry O'Keefe

Haven't watched the Valspar, basketball is where it's at this weekend. But just looking at the leaderboard it's back to looking like a Korn Ferry Tour event. Maybe that's not fair as those guys are really good players but I just don't know them as well. However as they are getting their chances we'll get to know them and new stars will emerge.

17. kp

kp Well-Known Member

JT went 8 over yesterday

18. Terry O'Keefe

Peter Malnati won the Valspar and a trip to his first Masters. He's been playing professionaly since 2009 and has one other win, the 2015 Sanderson Farams. Bounced up and down from the PGA Tour and the Korn Ferr/Web.com tours

19. Terry O'Keefe

The Tour moves to Houston, to be played at a municipal course that I have played, although not recently.

Field will include Scottie Scheffler, Wyndham Clark, Will Zalatoris, Tony Finau (defending Champ) and Jason Day amongst others. Should be a good tourney, weather will be good and the course should be in pristine condition.

I won't be in attendance.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Beautiful day here in Houston, Scottie had 5 birdies and no bogeys. He's 1 back of a couple of guys I don't know.