GOLF

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Jan 31, 2021.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Just saw this. To answer your question, if the youngster is my 14 year old grandson then I would say 5-6 hours depending on the seas given the boat he would be running. But we would have an experienced Captain on board just in case.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

1. Golf is really in a transition. I saw today that some group (Do you know these guys BuckT?) is going to buy into the PGA Tour for a couple of Billion Dollars. This at the same time that sponsors like Wells Fargo and Honda have dropped out of the game. I don't really get what the end game is though. They are still trying to finalize the deal with the PIF as well. What are we going to have going forward?

Sources: PGA Tour, U.S. group nearing $3B deal

A multibillion-dollar deal between a group of well-known U.S. sports team owners and the PGA Tour is imminent, as the tour still hopes to reach a similar agreement with Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund, sources told ESPN on Friday.

The agreement with Strategic Sports Group, a consortium of billionaire team owners that includes Tom Werner and John Henry (Boston Red Sox), Arthur Blank (Atlanta Falcons) and Wyc Grousbeck (Boston Celtics), would infuse more than $3 billion into a new for-profit entity, PGA Tour Enterprises, the sources said.

On he fun side the family team event will go off tomorrow at the Ritz-Carlton GC not to far from Mikes home in the Villages. It's a fun event to watch, nobody is too serious they just want to play well and have fun...well except for Charlie Woods who no doubt wants to win badly. :D

Last weeks Grant Thornton Invitational was also a fun event.

Jon Rahm to LIV is a head scratcher except he's getting a lot of money to play in tournaments nobody cares about.

Oh and Q-School is at Dyes Valley the sister course to Sawgrass and I played it when at Sawgrass. I dobut if they are playing from the "senior" tees like i did so it's not really the same course. But it's a beautiful course and sometimes when I looked back while on the tee box I think I could see all the way to the Tournament Tee's!

3. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Don't know much about 'em TOK, only know them through their ownership of those teams, nothing else really.

4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Really bad weather for tournament this weekend (means I have family visiting.)
    Can't figure out where golf is going. Players mostly care about the majors and it appears that LIV golfers can play in them all but the PGA. I'd say trading a spot in the PGA for a hundred mil or two is a fair trade. The big problem I have with the LIV events is that they're more like a carnival than a serious golf tournament with team events, 3 days of play, relaxed attire etc. Ah well, more pay for less work is the goal of the modern worker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Bernhard Langer and his son Jason, won the PNC yesterday in high winds. It was his 5th title and he has won 3 with Jason and 2 with his older son Stefan. He ties Raymond Floyd for the most PNC wins. Tiger and Charlie tied for 5th. David Duval and son finished 2nd.

Amazingly Annika and her son who is very young looked to me to be about 9 or 10, finished 10th!

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Anyone besides me miss the old Thanksgiving Skins Games?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

I had forgotten about that event. It was always fun to watch. Just like the Grant Thornton joint event with the PGA/LPGA and last weekends PNC Championship.

8. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

I'll be at Torrey Pines next month for the farmers insurance tourney. I plan on wearing a home Husker Jersey with the Corhead hat. Should be easy to spot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Will the hat be white or yellow?o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Next week is the start of the 2024 Golf Season. They are in Hawaii for the Sentry, formerly the Tournament of Champions as you had to have won a tournament in the previous year. It's a great way to start and that course in Kapalua is awesome. This whole West Coast swing from here to La Quinta, to La Jolla to Pebble to Phoenix and back to L.A. is my favorite stretch of tournaments.

FWIW that Tournament of Champions used to be played at La Costa a resort north of La Jolla. I've actually played that course back when it was being played there, part of a vacation trip and it was awesome. First time I'd ever played with a caddie.

11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I used to really enjoy the first few months especially when the tour ended in Oct. They've screwed around so much with the Pebble Beach tourny that it just doesn't seem the same. Really like Torey, they always have a great field and Phoenix is just a fun shitshow.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Chris Kirk won the Sentry last weekend a guy who won the Honda last year for is his first win in 8 years. The scores were really low due to favorable (wind) conditions.

Kapalua has beautiful vista's everywhere you look and the course is really interesting with the way the course is laid out, esp that par 5 that is down hill and the guys hit such monster drives, but the 2nd shot is the tricky one.

Scottie finished T5 and Jordan was 3rd.

This week they are down in Honolulu which is a much different course and the scores are likely to be a bit less than the winning 29 under that Kirk shot at Kapalua.

FWIW it seems like most years the big names pass on this tournament and head back to the Mainland to get ready for the American Express out in the desert at La Quinta.

13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Tried to play Kapalua once, started in a heavy rain and it got worse. Played about 5 holes and gave up. Don't recommend Hawaii in Feb. it rained nearly every day. It's always pretty windy there and the greens really have a lot of grain. Just some conditions that these great golfers have to adjust to week after week.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Who among you have done this and ruined your round? :eek:

McIlroy had already three-putted from 2 feet at No. 14 by the time he reached the 18th tee with a 1-shot lead over Fleetwood and pulled his drive into the water.

15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Anyone who says that they haven't is not telling the truth.....or doesn't golf.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Grayson Murray just up from he Korn Ferry Tour won the Sony open in a 3 man playoff.

I'd never heard of him, so I looked him up. He had a terrific Jr Golf record, won his state championship in HS golf leading his team to the Team Championship, but then wandered in college playing at 3 different colleges, Wake Forrest, East Carolina and Arizona State before turning pro in 2015

17. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself Gip.
    I always Push mine.

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Doc about Grayson Murry, I read where he had problems with the bottle up until a year or two ago.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I believe he's 8 months sober.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Off to La Quinta in the desert this week, it's not a designated event (not 20M p55urse) but will still have 22 of the top 50 players in the field including Scottie Scheffler but not defending champion Jon Rahm. It will however include club pro Michael Block who had an ace at last years PGA Championship and became a fan favorite with his play.

The Ladies open the season with their Tournament of Champions at Lake Nona in the Orlando area. It's a great tournament. I'm looking forward to it.