GOLF

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Jan 31, 2021.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Jon Rahm hit ESPN Reporter, Sage Steele, in the mouth/nose with an errant drive. She had to have some dental work done to get back in front of the camera.

3. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Ambulance chasing dentists.

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Terry O'Keefe

I haven't watched a lot of the WGC Match play, but the final 4 are really interesting.

Scottie Schaffler v his friend Sam Burns
    Rory vs Cam Young.

5. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

It’s been fun to watch. Course looks really tough.

6. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

I've noticed Rory's caddie is no where near him during putts. Not even ti give a look read.

7. Terry O'Keefe

I'm surprised both Rory and Scottie lost their semi-finals both went to extra holes, but Burns and Young took them down.

Now Burns is just crushing Young, I think it's over now after Young was forced to go at the pin on 12, over the water a long carry and it was into the wind. Young crushed it but the wind ate it up and splash. Burns put his drive dry and in a great position and chipped close. If he makes the putt its over.

They better match though is Scottie v Rory, this match has been very competitive after Scottie got off to a slow start. Although I have to say I don't get the point in playing this match. Consolation matches are pretty much a thing of the past in every other sport.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Burns makes the putt and he wins. Great series, he went 8-0 this week.

Scottie and Rory play on, Rory back to 2 up.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Krebs have you ever been able to get on Michael Jordan's club in Hobe Sound?

Grove XXIII?

10. Terry O'Keefe

We were recently discussing the whole which tee do you play from, I hadn't considered that some women don't want to play from the "Ladies" Tee's. Like this young lady who probably hit's the ball a ton and doesn't need to play from them. But the old farts who play there think it's about gender not how far you hit your tee ball.

11. George Krebs

The Grove XXIII is located out in the middle of nowhere off Bridge Road near the I-95 interchange next to the Hobe Sound Polo Club. There is no signage and access is an unmarked road that is at least partially dirt. The road disappears into a scrub patch of woods. I think it would be easier for me to get into Area 51. I can't get into The Medalist in Hobe Sound either and that is right near our place. Most of the PGA guys are members there. That is Tiger's home course. Next it is the ultra private MacArthur which is said to be owned by Nick Price. Another non-descript dirt road entrance off Federal Highway. Those three courses are private playgrounds for the very wealthy or connected crowd.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

18 LIV golfers at the Masters including former champions, Patrick Reed Bubba Watson, Dustin Johnson, Phil, Sergio, and Charl Schwarzel.

I wonder if they'll pair Rory and Patrick Reed in the opening rounds? ;)

13. Terry O'Keefe

Interesting, the purse at the Masters is 15M and it's 20M the next week at the Hertiage @ Hilton Head.

Of course the field at the Masters is smaller.

14. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I'm a forest green type of guy. You can keep that red plaid jacket. What's 5 mil among jacket connoisseurs?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Terry O'Keefe

The Augusta National Women's Amateur if finishing today. They play the 1st 2 rounds off of Augusta at Champions Retreat and then the final round at Augusta. You can tell by looking at the scores that these young women are great but that Augusta is greater, I think the lack of experience at playing Augusta is a big problem for them. Watching highlights they have shown from today's round you could see the lack of knowledge they have in playing the course. But to be fair the weather was not good this morning and they are in a delay,

Even with the PGA Tour players experience matters a lot in getting around Augusta.

16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I read an article this morning about sportswriters getting to play Augusta on the Monday after the Masters. They played from the members tees and the pin placement was from the Sunday finish. The consensus was that the knowledge of the greens and the speed of the greens was the biggest difference in difficulty from other courses.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Terry O'Keefe

From another board one man's observations after watching the TV of the LIV Golf event in the Orlando area.

...if you consider entertainment watching a corporate golf outing for a used car dealership. That's pretty much what it reminded me of.

I was too frustrated watching the Phillies, and the Final Four hadn't started yet, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

It was worse than than the low expectations I went in with. The production value and the course were both awful. The course wasn't set up for a professional tournament. There wasn't even a first cut of rough. Miss the fairway, and you're in...crabgrass? It looked like a decent muni in early season shape.

I got confused as hell as to what was going on. They kept jumping from golfer to golfer without context. By the time you knew who was hitting, the player already hit. You have no idea how far they need to hit. They show what stroke it is...but not what's par for the hole.

Other than the leaderboard (which they display in multicolors like you're watching Nickelodeon), you have no clue what's going on. Given that its a shotgun start, showing what hole they are on isn't much help. You have little idea how far in they are and how many holes are left.

It looks like they restrict where spectators can be. I believe they must do that to give the illusion that there are big crowds there. Even with that trick, its pretty sparse. On top of that, there constantly shitty club music blaring in the background...over the production...so you're hearing it along with the announcers. I guess that's part of the "Golf but louder" motto...of which there are banners all over the place.

Then there's the golf itself. It sucks! These don't give a **** whatsoever...and it shows. They might be having fun, but there's no shotmaking. Koepka...who won the damn thing...a couple of time hit some chips off the crabgrass that rolled 30 ft past the hole. When they hit these shitty shots, they just laughed it off and moved on.

The announcers feign excitement at very average shots. An approach shot from about 120 that landed 40ft from the hole was lauded as "just left of the hole". They also keep pumping up "how great this tour is" and take digs at "the other tour". David Feherty, looking every bit like someone who sold his soul, did a half-hearted segment on the new ball specs being considered...saying that while LIV hasn't yet decided what to do...no doubt the big hitters of LIV will be the big winners either way.

If they hadn't sold themselves for millions, I actually would've felt bad for them. As is, though...**** em.

Unless something drastically changes, this tour is doomed. It doesn't even come remotely close to the drama and skill of even an off-week PGA Tour event.

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

First of all, I didn't know it was on. The program guide on my TV just had "Orlando Day Three" in the list and nothing else. I watched maybe 10 minutes. Apparently the reason that the leaderboard is multi-colored is that there is also a team competition also. The yellows are on one team, the greens another and so on. The camera coverage was not nearly as good as the PGA coverage. I kept thinking this isn't a tournament, they performing employees who also get performance bonuses for their scores.

• Like Like x 1
  19. George Krebs

I won't waste a second on LIV golf. Apparently the LIV golfers are planning to do some grandstanding at the Masters. If one of them are lucky enough to be in contention of the final day they all plan to come out and station themselves around the 18th green to cheer them on. Clown show.

20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

It's Masters week my favorite weekend of the year. I see that Augusta National made a change to the course and they added 25 yds. to the par 5 13th hole. It traditionally is the easiest hole on the course since the length of the hole waw only 525 yds. and the big hitters could hit medium to short irons into the green. I read where they think it may force many of the players to lay up on their second shots as Bobby Jones originally planned for the hole to be played.
    I'm sure on Sunday, the hope of an Eagle will see the big hitters still going for the green in 2.

• Informative Informative x 1