GOLF

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN, Jan 31, 2021.

1. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Had a good friend who owned a home on Lake Pinehurst and had us down for golf at least once a year for nearly a decade. I was crushed when he sold it and retired to western Michigan. Once played No. 2 with son Mike. He wanted to play from the tips. One of my most miserable rounds. Sounds like it hasn't changed much in the years that I've been gone. Still is "golf heaven."

• Like Like x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

What was he thinking? Who retires to a colder climate! :eek:

3. Terry O'Keefe

Nephew didn't play the tips, but the blue tee's. He can hit it 300 with his driver. On a couple of holes us green tee seniors had a bit more than 150 yard advantage. :eek:

4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

One word GRANDKIDS.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

USA off to a good start 4-1 in alternate shots, looked like it was going to be a sweep early on but surprisingly Scottie Scheffler and Sam Burns blew a 2 up lead in the final few holes to lose their match.

Four ball today.

6. Terry O'Keefe

As previously posted, last week family was at Pinehurst. This week the other nephew (Matt) is at Pine Valley for the Crump Cup. It's an elite level Mid-Am event, invitation only. Field is 64 (48 Mid Am's and 16 Seniors) and they start with 2 rounds of stroke play, he was tied for the lead after Rd 1 and was 3 rd after R2. So that moves him to the Championship Flight for the Match Play. it's the first time he's made the Championship Flight. They play 4 rounds Sat and Sunday. That's a lot of golf! I hope chasing around 2 toddlers has kept him in shape.

Funny thing is because of the kids and business he's played less competitive golf than most years. But with match play it gets a lot tougher, I hope he does well.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Back to the Pro's. USA is up 8-2 on the World, Jordan Spieth has been pretty impressive teamed with JT. The team that has been perplexing is Scottie Scheffler and Sam Burns. They lost yesterday blowing a lead and then again today they had the lead and let the World guys catch them and get the tie.

Foursomes Play tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Looks like the USA will prevail, but the Internationals have put up a good fight.

The only disappointment is the play of Scheffler, who just didn't play as expected. Lost his singles match to finish out the week.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Nephew didn't advance to the Semifinals at the Crump Cup. He went 18 holes and lost 1 down. Still a great week at one of the top courses in the US.

Something I didn't know about Pine Valley, 1) there is no out of bounds anywhere on the course 2) there are no rakes in the bunkers. Land in a foot print, tough deal with it!

10. Terry O'Keefe

The surprise is Max Homa, who went 4-0. Great run by him.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Best International? Tom Kim? He's only 20.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Rickie Fowler tied for the 36 hole lead at the ZOZO in Japan. I like Ricki and I hope he can get back on track and finish this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Terry O'Keefe

We all want to shoot our age in Golf, but it's hard to do to say the least.

But Freddie Couples won the SAS Champions Tour event last Sunday at age 63 by shooting a 60!! Now that's shooting your age!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Rory gets a good win at the CJ Cup and a good early win for him. Scottie Schaeffler had a bad weekend and he didn't have a great President's Cup I wonder if he's headed for a Jordan Spieth like funk.

15. Terry O'Keefe

Rory is the new #1 in the World.

RIDGELAND, S.C. -- The final steps on Rory McIlroy's long road back to No. 1 go down on the scorecard as bogeys, which made him laugh. All that mattered Sunday was winning the CJ Cup in South Carolina, and that about made him cry.

McIlroy reclaimed the No. 1 ranking for the ninth time by holding off Kurt Kitayama and enduring a nervous moment at the end with a three-putt bogey that gave him a 4-under 67 and a 1-shot victory.

More than the ranking, it was realizing how far he had come with so much support behind the scenes that made his voice slightly choke with emotion.

"This tournament last year was the start of me trying to build myself back up to this point," McIlroy said. "I had a really rough Ryder Cup. I think I was outside the top 10 in the world -- it's not a position that I'm used to being in."

McIlroy went 1-3 in a Ryder Cup loss. He was outside the top 10 for 15 consecutive weeks, the longest stretch of his career since first getting to No. 1 a decade ago. For a player of his caliber, that made him feel further behind than he really was.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Have any of you seen the commercials about "exhibition golf" sponsored by the Saudis who among other things were involved with the 9/11 hijackers? It supposedly is backed by the families of 9/11 victims but the PGA couldn't have written a better script.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Haven't seen anything about "exhibition" golf? More guaranteed paydays for just showing up.

18. Terry O'Keefe

LIV Golf. They held a season ending team event at Doral and Dustin Johnsons team won when he drove the 370 yd par 4 16th green for an easy birdie giving his team the lead which Patrick Reed finished off also with a birdie on the 18th hole. The 4 man team split 16M, add the 4M to the 18M Dustin won for winning the season long individual title, he totaled 35M in winnings this year on the LIV tour. WOW

19. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

If you're a real golf fan all you see is a bunch of filthy rich golfers with nothing at stake cashing huge checks for playing some hybrid mish-mosh of traditional tournament golf. No history or legacy and no drama. And if you are aware at all of geo-political times you can wash that down with the realization that this league was created and funded by a nation of murderous bigots who 20 years ago were behind the murder of 3000 Americans who were just average citizens. We have two 9.11 memorials in Howell, NJ. One made with sections of twisted steel from the WTC to commemorate the six people from our town who went down with the towers and one in our neighborhood honoring a former neighbor who was one of the six. I would sooner watch the American Cornhole Championships than one second of LIV Golf or anyone who is part of it.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  20. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1