Golf

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Maybe so Stu, Wolff had an excellent tournament overall. I just think the moment was too big for him at 21, when he needed to make a shot or a putt he just couldn't do it. A lot of his losing by 6 strokes was on Bryson just playing so darn well. But you could see the frustration mounting on him though as he missed putts and fairways.

Wolff has had an excellent year, he finished 4th at the PGA Championship, 2nd at this Open. Kid seems to have a bright future.

He should make the Masters very interesting.

2. Terry O'Keefe

We are now into the 2021 FedEx Cup/PGA season. All the tournaments this fall are going to count towards the 2021 FedEx points and PGA Tour money list. Usually the fall tournaments have a lot of players you don't really know, with the big guns taking time off from the tour, in the past they played some international events around the world and collect some big paydays in just appearance fees.

Mostly the season kicks off in January with the Mercedes in Hawaii that to play in you have to have won a tourney in 2020, then they play the Sony which is a regular tour event. Then on to the West Coast Swing.

This year will be different in that we still have the Masters to play the first weekend of November. But other than that nothing big going on for the PGA Tour. I do wonder if a few more of the top players will enter these fall events since they missed out on tournaments earlier in the year.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Phil wins again on the Champions Tour. He's preparing for the Masters.

Launching drives like he will have to do against the younger set on the PGA Tour, Mickelson shot a 7-under 65 and became the fourth player -- and second this year -- to win his first two starts on the tour for players 50 and older. He slammed the door on Mike Weir with a back-nine surge Sunday in the Dominion Energy Charity Classic.

4. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Mike Weir is a 5-9 Canadian that had a couple of good weekends in golf. He's tied with Ian Woosnam for golfers that should have been Jockeys if they wanted money/prestridge.:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I think he's the guy who's right handed but plays golf left handed because he grew up playing hockey in Canada left handed.

I always related to that cuz I'm VERY right hand dominant but for some reason when I took up intramural hockey at a later age it felt more normal to play left handed.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Phil hits a "Superman" Shot that only he can hit! This is one of the reasons he won his 2nd Tour Champions event.

Phil Mickelson hit his drive left on the 413-yard, par-4 2nd hole at the Country Club of Virginia. Left left. Right onto the rough to the left of the adjacent 18th tee box. Yes, it may have looked like he had skipped a few holes on his scorecard a few weeks ago on his way to a victory in his first Champions Tour tournament. Just not this way in his second.

The pin was about 100 yards away during Saturday’s second round of the Dominion Energy Charity Classic. Between it and Mickelson was a tall tree about 20 yards away.

“He’s got to get this ball up so quick,” an announcer on the Golf Channel broadcast said. “I doubt he can get it up and onto the green. If he does, he is Superman.”

The ball landed about 8 feet away.

7. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

On the Champions tour he's a boy among old men.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

yep a youngster!

9. Terry O'Keefe

Don, Stu, is Jack Niklaus dad's Drug Store still there in Columbus?

10. Terry O'Keefe

BTW I have played the course where this week's Houston Open is being played many times, but not since the redesign.

It used to be a true muny, over played, greens could be brutal to putt on. They did a major refurbish maybe 20 years ago and it became a really good course and they invested money in maintaining it.

11. Stu Ryckman

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

To my knowledge there was only one store located at Neil and 10th across from the old University Hospital.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I hope that we're going to get live reports from the Masters this year. Is it possible that DeChambeau is going to tear Augusta apart?

14. Stu Ryckman

Biography - About Jack - Nicklaus Companies

"Jack and his father Charlie shared a wonderfully close relationship — one that has led Jack to often say that his father was his best friend and mentor. Louis Charles Nicklaus, the son of a hardworking boilermaker, owned several pharmacies in and around the family’s hometown of Columbus, Ohio. A talented athlete who played semi-pro football, Charlie introduced his only son to a variety of sports, including golf when Jack was 10 years old, and tirelessly supported his son’s amateur and then professional career, until he passed away in February 1970. As a teenager, Jack spent a great deal of time working behind the pharmacy counter with his father. Jack went on to The Ohio State University, where he studied pre-pharmacy — and successfully sold insurance — before making the decision in November 1961 at the age of 21 to embark on a professional golf career. In 2003, it was announced that a lecture hall in Palm Beach Atlantic University’s new School of Pharmacy would be named in honor of Jack’s father."

• Like Like x 2
  15. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Thanks, Stu. That's a heartwarming story about a son's love for his father.

16. Terry O'Keefe

Well it's Masters Week!!

Sergio withdrew due to the Virus, and Bryson DeChambeau practiced with a new driver and claimed he carried it 400yds. Phil is going to play with a 47.5 inch driver, I think I've read most play with a 45.5 inch shaft, max length is 48 inches.

Course should be soft due to rain this week though.

The 2020 Masters weather forecast looks to include the chance of a lot of rain falling at Augusta National Golf Club, as a tropical system off Florida threatens to drop a lot of November rain.

The general weather forecast originally called for a chance of rain each day, but with Tropical Storm Eta hitting Florida on Monday and then moving up the coast, there will be more rain from the remnants of the stor. Rain is in the forecast on Wednesday and Thursday with a high chance of happening. Rain is possible on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, which could make the final run for the green jacket difficult.

The important thing to note is the rain chances on the weekend are lower, and the rainfall may be scattered compared to the thunderstorms expected on Wednesday and Thursday.

2020 Masters updated weather forecast
    • Wednesday: 80 degrees, thunderstorms likely, 80 percent chance of rain, SSE 7 mph winds
    • Thursday: 78 degrees, thunderstorms likely with potential torrential rain at times, 80 percent chance of rain, SW 5 mph winds
    • Friday: 78 degrees, partly cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers, N 6 mph winds
    • Saturday: 70 degrees, morning showers possible with 30 percent chance of rain, ENE 9 mph winds
    • Sunday: 76 degrees, 40 percent chance of rain, S 8 mph winds

17. Terry O'Keefe

There is an article up on Bryson DeChambeau on ESPN on whether or not he's going to tear up the Masters with his 350 yd carry on his drives. Why do I think he's going to be so pumped that he'll carry 350 but hit 1 fairway and not even make the cut.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

Here's a report on his practice round with Sandy Lyle. Looking at those numbers it's what I would imagine I would see if I played a practice round with AJ Huskerfan!! :D

According to Carl Paulson, co-host of “Inside the Ropes” on SiriusXm PGA Tour Radio, DeChambeau teed it up last week with Sandy Lyle, the 1988 Masters champion, and the reports from Lyle were “jaw-dropping.”

Here’s a recap, per Paulson via Lyle, of what DeChambeau hit into some of the holes:

• No. 1 (Par 4, 445 yards): Sand wedge
    • No. 2 (Par 5, 575 yards): 8-iron
    • No. 3 (Par 4, 350 yards): Flew the green with 3-wood off the tee
    • No. 8 (Par 5, 570 yards): 7-iron
    • No. 9 (Par 4, 460 yards): Sand wedge
    • No. 10 (Par 4, 495 yards): Pitching wedge
    • No. 11 (Par 4, 505 yards): 9-iron
    • No. 13 (Par 5, 510 yards): 7-iron (hit 3-wood off tee)
    • No. 15 (Par 5, 530 yards): 9-iron
    • No. 17 (Par 4, 440 yards): Sand wedge

He hit what?! Here's what Bryson DeChambeau hit into some of Augusta National's greens last week

19. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Started working on my Draft Kings fantasy teams. DeChambeau is the most expensive player with JT second. The fairways at Augusta are fairly generous but there's really no rough. If I were Bryson I'd be practicing how to hit off pine straw. He should just destroy the par 5's although 13 will be interesting. I wonder if he can clear the left bunkers on 5.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Was watching the Golf Channel and one of the hosts quoted Jack Niklaus as saying that Bryson might be able to drive the 1st green.

They said that if he drives like he did at the US OPEN, both distance and accuracy that it's game over for the field.