George W. Bush

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by Motorcity Gator, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

This guy was the last Republican president with a thread of integrity and a love for our country and it's institutions. I won't take back everything I ever said bad about him but he at least fits the mold of what a U.S. president should be:

"Former President George W. Bush said the January 6 US Capitol insurrection left him "sick to my stomach" and he remains "disturbed" when he thinks about it.
    "I can't remember what I was doing, but ... I was sick to my stomach ... to see our nation's Capitol being stormed by hostile forces," Bush said in an interview with The Texas Tribune as part of the SXSW virtual festival that was recorded February 24 and made public Thursday. "And it really disturbed me to the point where I did put out a statement, and I'm still disturbed when I think about it."
    The episode, Bush said, "undermines rule of law and the ability to express yourself in peaceful ways in the public square."
    "This was an expression that was not peaceful," he added.
    Bush had joined the three other living former US presidents in condemning the Capitol attack in its immediate aftermath, charging in a statement at the time: "This is how election results are disputed in a banana republic -- not our democratic republic."
    "I am appalled by the reckless behavior of some political leaders since the election and by the lack of respect shown today for our institutions, our traditions, and our law enforcement," he said. "The violent assault on the Capitol -- and disruption of a constitutionally mandated meeting of Congress -- was undertaken by people whose passions have been inflamed by falsehoods and false hopes."

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I urge members to not reply to Dave's post. Nothing good will come from engaging in conversation with Dave.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Motorcity Gator

Well Terry I thought George W’s opinions were well respected on this board. Why should his opinions inflame?

4. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

(Crickets).......

5. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Terry has it right.

6. Motorcity Gator

So now that W apparently disagrees with radical Trumpism his thoughts on the election fraud lie and Jan. 6th at the Capitol don't matter I guess.
    ""The violent assault on the Capitol -- and disruption of a constitutionally mandated meeting of Congress -- was undertaken by people whose passions have been inflamed by falsehoods and false hopes."

7. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Who cares what a war criminal thinks?

8. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Nobody here is defending in any way the Jan 6. riot. IMO the whole issue is the inflammatory rhetoric and demonization of others by both sides stirring up unstable hotheads on both sides. I have my own opinion of which side is worse but the “yeah but look what you did” stuff is not helpful. Both sides need to clean up their act.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Motorcity Gator

Agreed Stu..... especially bad when "what you did" has no merit or fact to it.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

That's precisely the kind of the "what you did" statement I'm talking about. Do you mean the claim that Trump caused the current flood of illegal immigrants? Or the Russian collusion lie? Or the filibuster is now some kind of Republican Jim Crow conspiracy tool, never used by the Dems?

• Winner Winner x 3