Gators - Buckeyes BCS Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Gator Bill, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

:lol: Holding is always called when the play has already been blown dead.

2. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Krebsie, I'm reminded of a time when a group of young kids - not teens yet - thought it was great fun to belch, pass gas and otherwise act in quite a rude manner in the midst of a crowded movie theater. As they giggled amongst themselves at their cleverness, they were clueless to the nature and depth of the character flaws that were on display for all to see and the scorn and contempt in which they were being held by the audience. I remember thinking at the time that it's fortunate that they will grow up and learn better manners, but as is too often the case it doesn't always happen....in those instances one can only hope that upon reaching child-bearing age, that the character genes come from the other side of the family......

3. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt that the whistle had blown yet when the alleged holding occured...he was grabbing on before he even hit the ground.

See, the point is getting missed here in some folks efforts to denigrate the other team...

What seems to have occured was a scrum after a fumble and the holding and struggling to get loose are the kinds of things that happen all the time. I do agree that the swing at the head was uncalled for, but does this thing really deserve all the importance that it is being given here?

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

In a word...NO!

About the swing, I don't like it.. I don't like it when I've seen Longhorn or ND players do it...but as I said, punching a guy in the helmet is dumb anyway...maybe the sore knuckles is punishment enough.

5. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Stu, the point, as I see it, is that the MO of two members on this board is to watch a violent sport to catch anything they can find to b!+(# about. I can imagine them taking 7 hours to watch a 3 hour game rewinding and replaying every single play at least twice. There is no evidence that they enjoy the sport at all. Quite the contrary. They are so insistent upon blocking out anything the Gators do (which seams minor in this case) and berating the other team for what they do (which can be looked at as marginal by an uninterested observer) that they can’t enjoy it.

Believe me, I have fought these battles before as everyone here has seen. You are not going to change their mind. You are not going to get the last word. The only way to turn it off is to ignore it. Eventually, they will stop. Of course, after everyone thinks that it is over, it will start again and will have to be ignored again. That is the game they play.

Let me explain my use of “marginal” in this instance. I played football as most of us here did many years ago. I played the position of Mike (middle) Linebacker. We used the terms Sam, Mike, and Will for Strong side, Middle, and Weak side linebackers. Even something fully legal like the swim move to get through the line could be considered as “swinging” at the opponent. I used the swim move on most every play.

I mentally placed myself in the play in question. I am on top of the QB when I see the ball rolling loose. My only thought is to get loose and get to the ball. I get up any way I can and get to the ball any way I can. I would swing arms to try to get loose from someone holding me down. I would NOT tip toe around people to get to the ball and I don’t think that Florida teaches their linebackers to tip toe to the ball either.

If I had seen #55 throw the two fore arms, hover over Tebow and taunt him, I would feel differently. However, everything I saw showed motive of getting away and getting to the ball. Did he use excessive force to get loose? Possibly. That is the only reason I say marginal. Otherwise, it is a non-issue for me.

This is a violent sport. This happens more than not when the ball is on the ground.

6. BuckeyeT

the intentions here are clear....just as they were with the cheapshots at Teddy Ginn, just as they were with the cheapshots at the coaching staff and just as they were with the cheapshots at Grant. It's punk and there is no excuse for it.

Bill and Wendy, I'm sorry but these boys are a sad ,sorry pair of representatives of Gator fandom. Glad you folks are here or we wouldn't know any better....

7. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

Tom you are right on as usual and it's not even marginal !!

How could anyone ignore Tebow's grasp on #55's jersey after the fumble ?

Well then, watch his right arm and a fist full of # 55 jersey as the ball got loose !! Did anyone really expect # 55 to just lay there and not get up? If he didn't swing his arms, he would have been held down by Tebow.

You people have been had by a spinny gator ( not Mo) but whomever video taped this segment.

[​IMG]

Why didn't you see the replay over and over again of Tebow grabbing # 55's jersey? Some Buckeye fan should edit it and freeze the frame!!

This one is a no brainer , if you don't get misled by the video, and swayed by someone with an agenda.

Tebow clearly initiated this.

8. Stu Ryckman

Well, to be fair, we ARE in a position of being naturally a little over-sensitive here, having just had our asses handed to us...

I think MCG has admitted in the past that he takes a bit of delight in rocking the boat and seeing what falls out...I find it annoying but I'm not sure it justifies a total backlash...

[​IMG]

9. BuckeyeT

Well, to be totally fair, if the WE only included the Buckeye fans on this board the over-sensitive argument may have some merit....however, those that have commented about the antics of the Gator comedy act include skyboxers from east to west, north to south. Are we ALL oversensitive? I don't think so.....

10. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

I think you are right on that account and I think that's why even you and Terry were misled by the video. You see only what they tell you and only the arm swinging is replayed over and over. You missed Tebow's right arm coming up and fist clenching his jersey, taking a defensive posture instead of seeing the play for what it was. This is routine stuff from a physical QB, but something you will not see in the NFL.
    I like Mo, He doesn't annoy me. I don't take him too seriously and I look at it as a game. He knows what he is posting and he knows what is right and what is wrong. He also knows that Florida did not have the toughest schedule in college football, but he'll try to spin it, just to challenge you.
    I try to get as many smirks as I can. :lol:

BTW, The Big 10 is 2-1 against the SEC !!

[​IMG]

:lol:

11. Stu Ryckman

OK then... :wink:

[​IMG]

12. BuckeyeT

AJ, why is it that you don't see that stuff in the NFL?

13. AJNJ

AJNJ New Member

That's because NFL QB's are a wee bit smarter and try to AVOID contact and getting physical with Lb'ers and DL's.

You won't see Peyton Manning or Tom Brady grabbing a linebackers jersey.

14. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

??????????????????????

Seems to me it's already been beat to death!
    :cry: :cry: :cry:

We won, Tebow wasn't hurt, the game is over!

Personally I'm a very happy camper.

Geez it's amazing just how a topic can change isn't it.

15. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

"the intentions here are clear....just as they were with the cheapshots at Teddy Ginn, just as they were with the cheapshots at the coaching staff and just as they were with the cheapshots at Grant"

BT just about anything I could post about that game would seem like a cheap shot to you because you defintely are oversensitive to it.

Some of that is understandable because just about any comment that anyone could make regarding the game puts Ohio State in a negative light because quite frankly they did virtually nothing positive.

The mere question I posed about Tressel seeming to have no answers in the 2nd half is to you a "cheap" shot at Tressel....somehow....incredulously.

I don't think there is anything of any substance I could say about the game that wouldn't ruffle your hypersensitive feathers.

16. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

MCG, here's a quote from Stu that I think you should read again.
    Just for the record I agree with Stu.

And having said that, this topic is locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.