Gators - Buckeyes BCS Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Gator Bill, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

You know, Dave, maybe you ought to look inward a bit...

Either all of us...everybody on the board, not just OSU fans, are a bunch of oversensitive weenies...

Or else maybe the manner, timing, content, and wording of your posts are a bit more than the "civil conversations about important topics" that you claim.

You have a habit...not just here, but even in the Back Room, of throwing out all kinds of challenges and insults...and when the predictable happens, you pull the "who, me???...I'm just trying to discuss the issues of the day" stuff.

Whatever, it doesn't matter...I don't think I ever attacked you except to say that the stuff about Ginn was bogus and made me mad...

As for the video, the guy is obviously a punk.

2. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Stu...you're one of the better ones.

As for a few others....I'll quote you......" oversensitive"......

3. Stu Ryckman

What about "weenies"??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

4. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

What is it, nine days since the Gators won the NC in one of the most convincing fashions ever witnessed? And a couple of you gator fans are still are still trying to sell the rest of us on what we saw. It's almost like you don't believe it yourselves.

It's like watching an endless end zone dance :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Actually George, it's only been about 8.33 days at the moment - 7:55 AM EST 1/17/07.

6. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Stu, I think that is a bit harsh....young Mr Tebow will mature and learn the hard lessons on the football field. One of which is that it is not a good idea to use your right hand and grab ahold of of a linebacker and prevent him from pursuing a loose ball in the area when he's sitting on top of you....further that when he gets up, it's probably not a good idea to effort to grab his foot to prevent his pursuit of the ball.

Perhaps Terry should have responded in a more gentile manner such as, "Pretty please Mr Tebow, could you please release your illegal grasp on my person such that I may pursue the football that is loose in the vicinity and when I do get up, please don't grab my foot in an illegal manner in an effort to hinder my pursuit of the loose ball......"

Logical consequences.....

7. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

So T ... are you defending Terry punching of Tebow and then stomping of Tebow .... after the ballcarrier, Tebow, was down? Are you faulting Tebow for Terry's on field "thugging" of the opponent's QB?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

8)

8. BuckeyeT

As I suggested and as any self-respecting linebacker would have done under the circumstances while being held when there is a loose ball in the area is to have inquired politely of the young man and responded in a more gentile manner,

"Pretty please Mr Tebow, could you please release your illegal grasp on my person such that I may pursue the football that is loose in the vicinity and when I do get up, please don't grab my foot in an illegal manner in an effort to hinder my pursuit of the loose ball......"

This type of passive, non-aggressive persuasion is a critical element in the success of any sound defensive teaching.....

9. Motorcity Gator

So...BT is saying that if Tebow was indeed holding #55's jersey and that isn't clear in the video...but if he were then #55 was well within his rights as a Linebacker to punch Tebow in the head twice and try to stomp on him as well. Ok....I see the logic.... :shock:

10. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

T

If you look at the video, the reason Tebow held Terry's foot/leg is Terry had forcibly "planted" his foot several times into Tebow's chest after Terry had already punched Tebow in/about the head.

I don't think Tebow was trying to keep Terry from chasing a ball (which was not a fumble since the ballcarrier was ruled down) but rather was just defending himself from Terry's "Cleveland thugging".

Hey ... maybe Terry was just suffering from the 51-day layoff. :wink:

BTW .... is Larry Grant ..... Terry's backup?

11. BuckeyeT

Of course not......he has his right hand on Terry's chest with a firm grasp on the top of Terry's pads in an effort to assist him in his pursuit of the loose ball. I should have noticed that before.....my bad.

12. Motorcity Gator

Not going to beat this to death but if the ref would have seen Terry's actions he would have been ejected.

Obviously it had no game impact except that maybe it PO'ed Tebow to the point that he ran like a maniac after that and ran over a couple of people later on the drive where he scored his rushing TD.

13. BuckeyeT

Nonsense......

The real question is that given Tebow's obvious intention to circumvent the rules to disadvantage his opponent and Florida's ranking at or near the top in terms of rules infractions during the course of the game, is that something that is taught in Gainesville or do they learn that before they get to college?

14. Motorcity Gator

"What is it, nine days since the Gators won the NC in one of the most convincing fashions ever witnessed?"

Why George....so nice of you to notice! :D

15. Stu Ryckman

Well, everyone is going to see and think what they will...

I thought the head shot was a bit gratuitous, but Tebow is clearly holding on to him to prevent him from getting to the ball...whether it was later ruled a fumble or not by the refs is completely irrelevant...it was a loose ball and nobody knew what the ruling would be.

Then Tebow grabs his right foot, which is not on his chest but rather on the ground on Tebow's right side, as Terry tries to get up...when Terry tries to pull away, Tebow doesn't let go and the foot comes down on his chest...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I do think the head shots were over the top, but BT is right, he was trying to get loose.

Rules question: Is it an illegal hold to hang on to somebody when the ball is loose and there is a scrum going on? You see it all the time and it's never called...I guess I always thought that it was legal in that situation.

16. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

You two are so insecure... I imagine after a loss you are on 24 hr. suicide watch for a month.

You WON the game. The time for dancing on the corpse has passed. Move on for gods sake.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well the only thing I can say is that punching a guy in the helmet is not smart, it may be a personal foul...but not smart! :)

18. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

stu

If the ball carrier is down (play over) and then he "holds" another player .... is there a "holding" penalty to be called? If there is I'd like to read that rule.

However, I believe punching and stomping another player are a personal foul whether the play is over or not. In fact, I believe punching and stomping can easily be characterized as fighting (and Cleveland thugging) which should be an ejection and subsequent suspension.

19. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Nah, Tebow got the idea to hold Terry after the play was dead from watching the osu kicker tackle Brandon James. :lol:

20. BuckeyeT

Stu, here is a direct quote from the NCAA Football Rules Handbook....

"Holding Illegal use of the hand or arm is unfair play, eliminates skill and does not belong in the game. The object of the fame is to advance the ball by strategy, skill and speed without illegally holding your opponent. All coaches and players should thoroughly understand the rules for proper offensive and defensive use of the hands. Holding is a frequently called penalty; it is important to emphasize the severity of the penalty.

Sportsmanship The football player who intentionally violates a rule is guilty of unfair play and unsportsmanlike conduct and whether or not he escapes being penalized, he brings discredit to the good name of the game, which it is his duty as a player to uphold."

Based upon that, my interpretation would be that clearly if a player is disadvantaged by the intentional holding of his opponent, that would be a penalty and the opponent would bring discredit upon himself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.