Florida vs. Miami

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Penalties favored UF in the first half but topped by the very damaging unsportsmanlike penalty after the sack called against UF the calls went more toward favoring Miami in the second half.
    Tense competitive game and both teams showed a lot of grit.
    The turnovers almost killed UF and I hope they get that ironed out.
    Bottom line is that the Gators have a 1-0 record and they gritted out a tough win against what many have said is the other team vs Clemson in the ACC Title game this season and I wouldn't bet against that after seeing the Canes tonight.

2. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

It's too early to tell.

3. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Been out of town and was on a Gator Country forum tonight and texting with my kids and grandkids several who are Miami fans. Go Figure.

Lots of mistakes in the first game which is not to surprising.

Miami is better than I thought they would be and I think they will win quite a few games in the ACC. Gators were lucky to get out of this game without a loss.

We did have a ton of sacks.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Gators are 1-0 and that's the important thing. Mullen has a lot of teaching points for the next couple of weeks. They didn't look good at all on offense except for that one pass that Franks completed. But then I think the Miami defense is a good defense, the Miami offense is limited by it's OL, the Gators were able to just pin their ears back and come after that poor Miami QB. I'll be surprised if he makes it to the end of the season.

Good news for the Gators is that they get a week off before taking on UT Martin so Mullen can work on a lot of things to get ready for Kentucky/Tenn games that are coming up.

Fowler and Herby kept saying that Miami would end up playing for the ACC Champ v Clemson. Might be true, but it's more a reflection of that beyond Clemson the ACC doesn't really have any great teams. Lot of parity in the league, and not at a high level. Virginia, Va.Tech, NC State could be good teams.

5. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

How did Miami not win that game? The Gators kept giving them chances but the canes couldn't take advantage. Gators need a QB cause Franks ain't gonna cut it.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Yeah with all the penalties at the end on the Gator defense it's amazing that Miami couldn't get the W. It goes back to getting zero points after that last pick on Franks, and then the Miami OL was just awful and the Gators kept bailing them out with penalties. I thought when the Canes had 1st and 10 at the 10 they'd win, but that 1st down call was just brain dead and then of course the OL just was matadoring the Gators DL.

7. Gator Bill

My thoughts.

Miami is much better than I thought they were. That QB was very good and should get better as the season progresses. Their new coach Diaz has done a pretty good job.

I am not as down on Franks as a lot of people. I remember how he finished last season.

Our OL is very young and hopefully will grow as the season progresses as they did last year. We need to get our running game going.

Our defense is really good but the number of plays then Miami pulled off with 2nd or 3rd down and 15 or more yards is disturbing.

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I think both teams have a lot to work on. Young Miami qb has to learn to get rid of the ball. Florida db's need to polish their coverage technique. Turnover problems will need to be addressed also. First game jitters may explain alot but I'm sure it's going to be an interesting week of practice at both campuses.

9. Motorcity Gator

The game could have and should have been over on that ticky tack 4th and 34 PI penalty called on an underthrown ball.
    However UF toughed one out and at the end of the year I think this win looks better on paper because I believe the Canes are going to do well this season with that Qb Williams and all the talent they have on defense.
    I would say Miami has a shot at 9-4 including a loss in the ACC Title game to Clemson.
    Franks had a couple of rough spots but also he flashed the kind of play that has Gator fans more excited about his prospects this season. Most importantly he seems to be as he was toward the end of last season and that's doing what it takes to get the win.

10. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

The Gators have a solid defense and that alone will win several games this year because of that defense. Franks looked pretty solid to me overall.

11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I agree with Terry. I don't think that Williams makes it through the season with that OL. Deciding moment was the missed short FG by the Canes. Both QBs seemed to have trouble with rush. Franks was a bit gun shy and Williams didn't know when to throw it away. Gator skilled players just didn't have much opportunity to show their talents.

12. Motorcity Gator

Looking at Miami's schedule they only play 4 true away games.... at UNC, FSU, Pitt and Duke.... all very winnable with rest of their games at home and no Clemson in the regular season or any other non-con games of note. Damn to me a 9-3 regular season seems completely attainable from what I saw of Miami last night. I doubt any other team they will face except Clemson in a possible ACC title game will have the kind of fierce pass rush exhibited by Florida's defense.
    The biggest issue UF had on defense last night was spotty tackling and that's something that usually is coachable.
    I'm just breathing a sigh of relief this morning that UF managed to get the W against a quality opponent in a very important opening game for the Gators.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  13. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Yaaayyy....gutors beat cranes.

14. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

Good win Gators, both teams show promise with lots to continue working on. It’s early in the season and both teams will improve.

15. Motorcity Gator

This from College Football News sums it up pretty well:
    "In a way, the game went like it was supposed to. It was supposed to be ugly. It was supposed to be ragged. Florida took a few knockout punches and kept getting up. Miami showed it was able to play with a highly-ranked team and stay in it. Everyone needs more work, everyone needs more time, but Miami has its quarterback, Florida showed its toughness to come through, and the more talented team won. Barely"

16. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

that was a ticky tack tackle...

17. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

There's gonna be better football in the B1G this year, and the next few. The SEC thinks they're good all the time. That bubble got prisoned raped last year.

18. Gator Bill

From the Final AP Poll

2. Alabama
    6. LSU
    7T . Florida, Georgia

Doesn't look like rape to me.

Big 10 may be better this year than the SEC, we shall see.

19. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

65594214.jpg And the Skybox CFB season is underway!!...!!

Just jabbing there Bill....kinda....sorta....maybe...

20. Gator Bill

Well we anxiously await the return of the Huskers to the rankings. I think it will happen as you got a very good coach.