Florida-Tennessee

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Tennessee offense comes alive but stalls at the Florida 34. Wilhoit hits a 51 yard FG with 10:49 left in the game

Florida 14 Tennessee 20

2. Tennessee Tom

Florida looked too good on that drive. Florida scores to go up by one

Florida 21 Tennessee 20

6:30 left in the game

3. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Somebody tell me how Marcus Thomas of Fla was offsides when he went into the neutral zone and yet in the first half when Tenn did that they called motion on Fla when the OL flinched after the encroachment???

That cost UF three points at least which would be huge right about now.

4. Tennessee Tom

I'm getting too old for this! :( 3rd and a $20 cab ride at the Florida 45 with less than 3 minutes left.

5. Tennessee Tom

Incomplete! 4th and 16. Ainge intercepted. That could well be the game. However, I remember the Arkansas game in 1998. It isn't over until it's over!

6. Tennessee Tom

Congrats to Florida and all its fans. We played well and have nothing to be ashamed of. I have high hopes for the rest of the season due to the performance I saw tonight.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Not pretty but a win never the less. Congrats to the Gators.

So far it looks to me like there aren't any really good offenses in the SEC, maybe it's really good defenses though.

8. Cindy McCord

Cindy McCord New Member

Congrats to the Gator team and fans. The game was well played.
    I hate this Vol loss most for Justin Harrell who came back to play his last college game. For him, more than most, I wanted this win. :(

9. Motorcity Gator

Really good defenses Terry is what I suspect. SMiss put it on NC State tonight and UF held them down very well in game 1.

I have never seen Tenn run the ball so poorly vs. UF but I think that was a combo of an injured Foster and a damned good Gator D vs. the run.

That flare out Ainge kept hitting was maddening though and I give credit to Cutcliffe, Ainge and his receivers for being so tight with that.

Tenn definitely looks better on offense this year and will be a bowl team for sure. Helluva an effort by the Vols.

10. DocDan

DocDan New Member

Congrats to FLA

<t>Congratulations Florida! A great college game! FLA made the plays when they needed it, and Leake showed a lot of poise. This game is what college football is all about!!!!<br/>
    <br/>
    Go Vols,<br/>
    Dan</t>

11. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

We just got back from our daughters house where we always to to watch the away games.

I thought we were in deep do do when we fell behind 17-7 and in fact had pretty well chalked this one up as a porbable loss in my mind. But the Gators never gave up and came back late. This is the type game we could never seem to win under Zook but this Gator team came back.

It was a good game between two very good teams and I feel very fortunate to have come away with the win.

And thanks to the classy Vol fans on this topic. You guys have a very good team and are going to win a lot of games this season.

The SEC looks very very tough.

12. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

all i know

<t>is that both of these teams came to play. They both get an 'atta boy' from me for making this a great day in college football. I know this isn't much consolation for UT fans, but hey, at least their team showed up in the big game.</t>

13. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Nice to come to Skybox and see a bunch of posts by Irish Corey!

Gator Bill

14. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the win Florida fans. I did not stay up to see the end of the game and was surprised to see Florida had won this morning.

My condolences to Tennessee Tom! That had to be a tough loss to swollow.

Don

15. Tailback

Tailback Guest

Congrats to the Gators. I'm glad to see the outcome of the game not decided on the awful calls by the Refs. That personal foul call on the punt almost cost the Gators a loss. The reason I don't consider it an even swap like Tom does is... Had the Gators scored there, The vols wouldn't have had a ball to pick off at the 20 to be returned for a TD.

On another note... This game is too damn short! College football has suffered with these new rules! Might as well put the rules back in place and play 3 and a half quarters. Booooooooooo!!!!!!!!

16. Motorcity Gator

TB,

The penalty count was 9 on the Gators and 4 on Tenn so things certainly didn't even up.

I am still perplexed as to how a line judge in the first half sees a Tenn defender rush the line, enter the neutral zone thereby causing a UF O-lineman to flinch and yet in spite of the new rules in CFB it is UF that gets the crucial penalty and is faced with 2 and 15 in lieu of the 2nd and 5 at the Tenn 20 as it should have been. UF winds up trying a 51 yard FG, misses and three plays later Tenn hits the flea flicker for the go ahead score. Totally a game changing gaffe by the refs.

Of course in the second half the line judge found himself suddenly and magically knowing the new rules and called Marcus Thomas the Fla defender offsides for doing the exact same thing as the Tenn guy.

On the TD punt return the penalty was a block in the "shoulder" and was very tick tack at best. Correct that if UF scores then Leak isn't on his own side of the 30 yard line throwng a pick 6 on the next series.

I should add that on the UF punt return in the first half that was destined for a TD that Colquitt the Tenn punter only tripped up the UF returner by laying out his legs and actually tripping him....which should have been a penalty.

One of these days in an SEC road game at Auburn, Tenn, LSU or Alabama maybe we will see a penalty situation in which Florida gets only an "equal" amount of penalties called on them as the home team. Through all of the coaching regimes at Florida coaching different styles of football I'm willing to bet this has never happened in their history.

17. Motorcity Gator

Lost in the discussion of the KO return getting called back is the fact that the 84 yard return was spectacular to watch and coupled with the long punt return in the first half by Brandon James it gives us Gators something to look forward to on kick returns.

This kid and Percy Harvin are exciting to watch.

18. Tennessee Tom

MCG,

I totally understand that you believe that Florida could never commit more penalties than another team. I understand that and will not attempt to change your mind.

I also understand that you truly believe that the only factor that can beat Florida is crooked refs. That’s a given.

What I don’t understand is this: I posted
    You never commented once on that. Did you ever stop to think that refs may be influenced by this kind of behavior? Is this something you are proud of? Should it be tolerated? :?

19. HoustonLarry

HoustonLarry New Member

What....

<t>Those two team need to do is bring a bit more intensity. LOL !! What a great game to watch. Both teams deserve a bunch of credit.</t>

20. Motorcity Gator

"I also understand that you truly believe that the only factor that can beat Florida is crooked refs. That’s a given."

So not true Tom...I always recognize when UF truly gets beat...by the other team's play.

Yes... Thomas absolutely deserved that particular 15 yarder (you never know what happened in the pile though to make him so obviously angry).

So....Thomas deserved the penalty..I admit but you have no other comments? The crucial encroachment/illegal motions I have listed already don't phase you? And it did seem to you obviously that UF was an undisciplined, ragtag bunch very prone to make mistakes so much more so than the very disciplined, sharp as a tack Vols that UF deserved 9 penalties to only 4 for Tenn.

Fulmer is one hell of a coach......

He must teach that helmet to helmet hit technique that WAS NOT called on Tenn late in the game when a UT defender went after Leak. It was a disciplined...under the radar personal foul that doesn't piss the home refs off I guess.