Florida Covid Numbers

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by Gator Bill, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

2. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

598 new cases in Pinellas county yesterday..... I truly wish they were all falsely or incorrectly reported.

3. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

We have over 15,000 dead in NJ but as of right now we are one of only three states designated as in control of the virus. Everyday the Governor highlights three of the recently deceased. The overwhelming majority are over 70. The rest are mainly obese. Nurses around here will tell you that at its worst the people who died fit those categories or had one of 10 serious complicating diseases that greatly enhanced their difficulties. Also, over 40% of our deceased were in assisted living.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

In other words... "We'll report the bad data to make sure you all stay in line."
    This is turning into the worlds worst joke, and we are the butt.
    Let me see; 29 million people in Texas and 3300 have died of Covid.
    And I believe the profiles also fit what George has described.
    I could buy into this a lot more if efforts were focused to protect the at risk rather than tell EVERYONE to "stay safe!". What a crock. I'm as safe as I've ever been (from viruses).

Let's all stay in our little caves, and let the world go by. Nothing to see here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Bill I posted that link in another topic before I saw your OP. Saw Desantis heckled today. Cal. is having problems but no one hackles him. We know who the hecklers are. The ironic part is the portions of our state having the biggest outbreaks are Democratic strongholds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Motorcity Gator

Liberty County has the highest rate of population infected in Florida at 3.3%

They voted for Trump at 77% over 19% for Clinton in 2016.

Otherwise it is amazing that big city strongholds lead in total infections when so many people live in those areas. Good thing they don't have the infection rate of rural Liberty county or it would be much much worse.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Gator Bill

Certainly no problem gipper posting it more than once keeps MCG on his toes. :)

We certainly see eye to eye.

8. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Liberty County Florida...smallest county in Florida with population less than 8,500...now there's a place to hang your numbers on. o_O

9. Motorcity Gator

Super high rate of infection in Liberty County.... highest rate in the state.... and resultant super high majority of Trump supporters.

Go figure.....

10. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Teeny weeny little county...what a sample size. Probably the whole county got together for one of those fictional Covid parties...you should contact the NYT and they could fabricate another story.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Motorcity Gator

13. Gator Bill

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Gator Bill

Here's an interesting article about the Florida situation. In the article it states that Florida did 144,000 cases in one day, I take that as tests. And it far exceeds any reported number which for Florida have been reported as 30-60,000 daily. If the numbers are updated it will be a far different story. Not less positives, but a far less percentage.

What the record-shattering number of positive COVID-19 tests in Florida really means

15. Motorcity Gator

I would say that DeSantis needs to get on this and these numbers need to be infallibly accurate.

However..... if Trump is the one who gets the numbers first it won't matter anymore anyway.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I have to wonder... what would the numbers look like if we'd done flu tests the last few years?
    I suspect it wouldn't be quite as high, but perhaps if folks knew how that compared they wouldn't be so easily fanned into panic-frenzy over this virus.
    I still marvel at how "dangerous" Covid is marketed. It's as if all those positive testers will drop dead in a week. And our schools will be mass graves if we send the kids back in the fall...
    :confused:

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Motorcity Gator

The CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season.
    People did die from the flu.... but at a rate of .00097 % of those infected. If 35,000,000 contract Covid-19 then there would be 1,388,000 deaths at the current .039 death rate.
    And instead of 490,600 hospitalizations with flu there would be over 5 million hospitalized with Covid many of whom would be very ill and needing ICU care. And long term health consequences have been identified with Covid but mostly when you get over the flu..... you're over it.

And keep in mind that if we did not practice all of the safety measures and shutdowns etc. etc. that we have implemented with Covid-19 then these coronavirus total infection numbers would most certainly be closer to flu like numbers than where they are now..

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  18. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

as of July 16 we had 3,566,081 documented cases of covid-19 in the US. we had 139,391 documented covid-19 related fatalities. That's 3.9% mortality rate if you divide deaths by total cases.

BUT, how many cases are there really? What % comes and goes without notice? Asymptomatic people are walking all around us. They have covid-19 and do not even know it.

AND, there are 1, 021,989 documented full recoveries. That means you have a 28.7% recovery rate based on documented cases. BUT, what about all the asymptomatic people who had it and recovered without notice? And how many recoveries are not reported?

And how many covid-19 related fatalities are just plain nonsense. It is fairly widely accepted that if you have the virus that is the cause of death whether you happened to have bullet wounds, knife cuts or tire treads on you as well.

Yesterday Governor Phil Murphy mourned another " 26 lost covid souls " here in NJ. He highlighted the stories of two men who were " tragically taken from us by this cruel virus ". The first was 99 years old. The second was 100. Really?

If you divide documented deaths by the US population you come up with .00042.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Gator Bill

Dang George love your logic.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Stats aside, this is a serious situation. It's too bad it's become a political situation. For sure those over 65 are at more risk, and sure they are also at more risk for the flu, and pneumonia and a bunch of other things. But that doesn't mean we should treat this like it's "just a virus".

Billions are being poured into research and I hope we can get effective treatment as well as a vaccine. In the meantime we have to do the things we can to stay healthy. I do believe wearing masks is helpful, it's not a guarantee that you won't get it, but it's helpful. I don't understand why people want to fight wearing a mask.

• Agree Agree x 2