Early BCS Controversy

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Guest, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

It's really too early to worry very much, but two of the computer polls that figure into the BCS formula have teams at #1 that most of us would scratch our heads at.

Washington is #1 in the Seattle Times poll

So.Carolina is #1 in the Atlanta-Journal's Poll.

Interesting regional bias...

Of course a lot can change, but it is very hard for me to figure out how those 2 teams ended up at #1..but then who can figure the computer polls out anyway.

Here's the link to the article

Screwy Computer Polls

Terry

2. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

I read the response by one of the Seattle Times guys (Schuster?) and he explained it like this. Since the BCS guys requested them to take out margin of victory and only take into account quality win, it seems logical that UW's win over UM at this point of the season would factor in more than Miami's wins over PSU, Rutgers and Pitt. At least Miami will have the opportunity to turn that around by taking UW on at their house, so if they take care of business the "regional bias" shouldn't make much difference. Plus, if it IS out of whack subsequent to that, it gets dropped along with the lowest.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Kes,

Just like the polls that were out of whack AFTER Washington beat Miami last year?? It's still too early to get worked up about the polls.

The one guy's point of view seems to make sense to me...Washington has a more quality win. IMHO, Oklahoma has the most quality wins in that they beat Kansas State and one of the "bad" teams they beat was North Carolina, who seems to have rebounded.

But I wish everyone would just hold their polls to themselves until everyone's played a minimum of 5 games.

The guy's whining about the polls seem to knock the "quality of opponent" factor. I guess that's not a bad thing to argue if you are looking to prop up either Miami or Florida at this point but later on, that case will be on Florida's side.

4. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

5. neilv

neilv New Member

I am a great Washington fan but to rank them #1 in any poll is ludicrous. They were outplayed by Michigan, beat a bad Idaho team and barely beat a pathetic Cal team. They don't even belong in anyones top 10.

Neil

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Paterno always says he never looks at the polls. This year I finally believe him.