Dorian

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Fortunately for us on the west coast of Fla we won't have to compare the actual damage btw Irma and Dorian..... it's doing the curve north and won't affect the west coast it looks like.

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

We've had a very rainy August and our ponds are very high. The Villages has been watering like crazy for almost a week now. Newbies wonder why they'd be watering with all the rain that we've had. The rest of us know that they're trying to get as much water out of the ponds into the air to evaporate to make room for what might be 10 in. of rain or more. Looks right now that we might get only a brushing by Dorian.

3. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

Cool story involving Irma was a week or so Post Irma we had line crews all over the place. Imagine every power pole down and diving and ducking the power lines associated with them. One day I rode up front and noticed utility trucks layered down the highway. I pulled up and asked if I could help and I swear Odin himself walked out with all his sons.

I’m 6’ 1” with my boots on and felt like a midget as these giants of men walked out of their trucks telling me they had seen a gator and were taking pictures. I laughed and asked where they were from, everyone was from Minnesota and I swear they were all above 6’ 5” and up. We shared a few words had a good time and me feeling puny and small eventually left them to themselves.

I wasn’t sure I could outrun them and being we are far from a store didn’t want them getting hungry... Amazing at the help we received

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Well thank God this killer storm seems to be staying offshore. Think the Florida trip for me is pretty much a no go and as I said thank God.

But they are not putting together a team for North Carolina and both Jeanne and I are on that list if it happens.

5. RECcane

Amen to this storm staying offshore for every one if possible

6. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Good news to hear for me. I have a 91 year old cousin who lives in a nursing home in Safety Harbor.I will be calling him tomorrow.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I have an 80 y/o sister who lives in West Palm Beach. She's no rookie in dealing with Hurricanes but still hoping all she'll get is some rain.

8. Gator Bill

Looking better for her Terry.

We finally have some clarity for us. Tomorrow morning we pick up a rental car at the Asheville Airport and return home. Wednesday morning we leave for somewhere in the Raleigh Durham area and have to get there by noon. I guess after that we will have meetings and get a better understanding of our assignments.

Jeanne is now going with me as my driver.

Will report as able but?????

9. Gator Bill

Update, they put is on hold waiting further orders. So we are at home with a rental car loaded with enough clothes for two weeks and other stuff.

Hurry up and wait as the old saying goes.

But hey, here in Franklin NC the sun is shining and it's a beautiful day.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RECcane

Bill I’m happy to say how great the forecast was on Dorian to date. Not wanting to take anything away from you guys but I’m sure you agree.

We need to wish the best for the suffering in the Bahamas as it’s going to be a long road to recovery

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. RECcane

Just watched the weather as it’s just outside Savannah the anxiety storms such as this brings is incredible. The preparation in our little business cost us thousands days ahead just to make sure we were ready. The storms may miss us but everyone leave a mark.

12. Gator Bill

I agree Completely REC.

Wish all this was not necessary. But we are in Fayevette NC tonight and will have meetings tomorrow to get equipment and instructions. Will probably locate closer to the coast. 50 or more of us are here

• Like Like x 1
  13. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Thank you again, Bill. Not a lot of people have the heart or the sand to step out into harm's way for the betterment of others. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Corey, I hope you are hunkered down and ready for when Dorian hits Alabama.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I've got my official Trump marker ready to go and draw that storm on into Mississippi :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. RECcane

17. Gator Bill

Well it didn't hit very hard in the area we were sent to. We patrolled today and not much trouble so our team was released tonight. We will return to Franklin tomorrow, return the rental and will be back to our normal life on Sunday.

A frustrating but good experience. Frustrating in that it's been a long time since I was involved in electric utility patrolling work and was a bit rusty. However got the hang of it and if we go out again won't be that rusty.

Overall very good, feel good about what we accomplished, held up physically pretty well and would be ready to go again if needed and available.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gator Bill

Well we are home, exhausted but home.

Really not much to report. 3 days on standby and instructions then the hurricane hit but the area we were in was virtually untouched, only minor damage. Our team rode all the lines in our area yesterday and went to our hotel and were released.

We had to drive home 360 miles then get our car and return the rental 170 mile round trip to the Asheville airport and back.

We did learn that I was very rusty as to just how to ride out a line from the substation to the end and not miss any customers.

All in all it was a good experience and if it would happen again we would volunteer again if our schedule allowed.

Got home just in time to turn on the Gator game.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I'm just so impressed with what you and Jeannie did to help those impacted by the storm. Get some well deserved rest Bill

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gator Bill

Thanks Terry but it wasn't just charity on our part. We got paid pretty well for our time.

It was short this time but gave us a real feel for whether or not we want to go out again and at this time the answer would be yes.

The thing about this company is that they have a big list of qualified people and every time something comes up they send out texts asking who will be available. If you can't go that time no hard feelings you still have the chance next time. However if you do go you are expected to stay to the end.