Could this be true?

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

MCG I, personally, am not dismissive of FSU. I said a bunch that they are a top foe as everybody knows. In fact didn't Spurrier even have a losing record against FSU? It just seems that you guys could still play FSU, as I understand it you have to really, and travel to pick up a intersectional foe of much lesser standing that you'd likely beat. I mentioned SMU, you could go to BYU, lots of options for scheduling lesser beatable foe and still traveling.

2. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I am not the least bit dismissive about FSU...they are a tough foe and it is a monster task to play them every year...and it does impact on your ability to schedule other non-conference foes...your points are all valid.

This whole argument seems to revolve around your dismissal of everybody else.

You said Mich and Ohio State had no yearly non conference home-and-homes.

I pointed out that Michigan had ND almost every year (in addition to their other non-conference travels, as Bobda had pointed out.)
    That to me was dismissive of my point.

I had arthroscopic surgery on my knee yesterday, I'm home aching all over, I can't take a shower for two days, and I'm CRANKY!

So sue me. :lol:

3. Stu Ryckman

Terry...you caught me (kinda)...

That was one of those pre-season bowls...Pigskin Classic...I thought it was one of those neutral sites so I put it down as a travel...but it was played at the Shoe. :oops: My bad.

But we DID play 'em. (we won, too.)

4. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

"You said Mich and Ohio State had no yearly non conference home-and-homes."

Never said that Stu...just that they had no others in the last two years other than ND...which is pretty good.

Terry, again...look at Texas and Ohio State and almost all others...

Nobody(almost...Mich an exception a couple of years) plays two home and home non-conference teams in the same season,

If it doesn't work economically for Texas it doesn't work for Florida. It's not so much about another tough foe as it is about the budget.

5. Stu Ryckman

Hey, guy...I guess it boils down to this...

You got the same (tough) non-conference home-and-home every year...not much travel but a very good opponent.

Mich, Texas, and OSU travel all over the place for their home-and-homes...some years not as tough a team as FSU but you add in the travel and the unfamiliarity of the opponent and...I think it's probably at least a smash.

And why do we call it a "home-and-home" rather than a "home-and-away" :?:

6. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Good point, Stinky, I mean, Stu! :oops:

7. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

hahaha

<t>the greatest empire in the history of SEC football is the Bear Bryant dynasty at Alabama. For Pete's sake, it is possible it was college football's greatest regardless of conference affiliation.<br/>
    <br/>
    For all that, the Bear was 0-4 against the Irish.<br/>
    <br/>
    And that, my friends, is why they play the games.</t>

8. Motorcity Gator

That is a pretty good record vs. the Bear obviously.

It was in years in which Bama had some pretty good teams too.

That must have stuck in his craw I'll bet.

9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

It sticks in this fan's craw so I am pretty sure it was a big deal to him.

10. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

MCG, we seemed to struggle through heat in Norman, Austin, Baton Rouge and Tuscon without a loss, I expect we could find our way in Gainesville....that said, it's clear that the Gators would never leave the South - unlike their state neighbors so it would seem to be a moot point. :wink:

11. Motorcity Gator

Geez...another poster not reading what has been said already.

"Florida never leaves the south"

"Your mother wears Army boots..."

...both just as childish in light of the facts....

12. BuckeyeT

Did I miss something...when did they leave the south? I don't dispute that FSU is a quality opponent, just wondering why they never leave the south to play a football game.

btw, great job by the officiating crew on the spot for Leak's first down run on the last drive...have we heard the last of the great Gator conspiracy? :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

After the 30-0 beating at home vs Wake Forrest, you'd have to say W.Carolina might be a tougher opponent than FSU this year. Xavier Lee and Weatherford darn near had more INt's than completions. This FSU team has quit and in someways I don't blame them Jeff Bowden is just flat out incompetent and doesn't give the offense any chance to be efficient.

I can not understand why any skill position player would even consider FSU until the Bowdens leave. I know Bowden will not fire his son, or demote him so they are stuck with them till Bobbah decides he wants to hang it up. I don't think even "powerfull" alumni can force him to retire.

Terry

14. Motorcity Gator

Terry,

Please explain to BT why Texas does not have more than one home and home non-con series going in one season and why they play 10 games this year in the state of Texas.

Nobody has any reading comprehension around here.

15. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

It's a darn good thing you are here to educate us imbeciles.

16. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

oh

<t>and while we are at it, can someone please teach me how Florida State is a good team?<br/>
    <br/>
    I do seem to remember being 'poo poo'ed' for suggesting that there were several teams in the ACC that can play anyone in the SEC, but I stopped at FSU because I think they are dog poo this year.<br/>
    <br/>
    Now MCG wants me to believe that the ACC is horsepoo, but that Florida State is a tough opponent?<br/>
    <br/>
    30-0 to Wake at Doak Campbell. This team is dead and given up.</t>

17. BuckeyeT

MCG,

better yet....could you please explain how the Gators can't manage to leave the south because of their commitment to FSU but that FSU can manage to find their way to Columbus, Lincoln, South Bend, Ann Arbor, BC, Pitt among others whilst having a simultaneous and identical obligation to UF?????

Your friends the 'Noles have just pi$$ed all over your argument by having the stones to treat the country to some great intersectional match-ups. The game is better for it.....

Reading comprehension my a$$....the answer is quite simple, you just can't find your way through the denial.

18. Motorcity Gator

All those great trips away that you refer to BT came before FSU became a full fledged member of the ACC and took on their own conference obligations.

They were an independent in their road glory days.

Yes...they suck this year but that doesn't change the fact there will be a UF-FSU non-con game every year and that both teams will probably be throttled with less than marquis teams as their other non-con opponents.

19. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

We just finished a home and home with FSU a few years ago. As you recall, ND won in Tally a supposed difficult place to play.

20. BuckeyeT

That is not true MCG.....FSU joined the ACC in 1992. Since 92, they have had road games in South Bend (2), Syracuse, BC, Iowa St, So Cal, Kansas and Tx A&M in NJ. At the same time, they have maintained their home and home with the 'Canes AND the Gators...something that others in similar situations have not! :wink:

C'mon MCG, those boys need to get out on the road and let the rest of the world judge their worth rather than hiding behind the nearest palm and letting their agents talk of their might! :wink: