Could this be true?

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Terry,

People here just can't seem to ever understand no matter how many times that we say it that FSU is NOT an SEC conference foe.

Therefore that IS a home and home non-conference game that is played every year for Fla.

How many non-conference home and home games does Michigan have? Does Texas have? Does Ohio State have? Does Tenn have?

Why does this never sink in?

Are you aware that Texas annually plays anywhere from 8 to 10 games within the state of Texas?

2. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

AJ,

my bad....I stand corrected, 2 in 50 years - the game you referenced was at the Meadowlands and did not register as a home game for Rutgers. I'll give them credit for that one.

MCG, our travel record stands on its own....the notion that we've ducked anybody, anywhere simply does not square with the facts. During the FSU visits, we were finishing a home at home with Stanford and Oklahoma. Clearly I can see how you could assume we ducked the 'Noles so that we could take on the patsy Sooners in Norman. :roll: A game I attended and enjoyed immensely the Buckeye victory 24-14 I believe.

In addition to the games I've already mentioned in a prior post that you no doubt read but did not reference for obvious reasons, our future schedules have home-at-home match-ups with Washington, So Cal, Miami, Cal, Army, Va Tech and Oklahoma.

As for the Bear, by comparison to the Gators, his Bama teams were world class travelers....having had visits to South Bend, Happy Valley, Blacksburg, Lincoln, Seattle, as well as Maryland, Mizzou and Rutgers.

Auburn only slightly better than the intrepid travelling Gators but did find their way to Blacksburg, Lincoln, Austin in addition to games at KState, Syracuse and Arizona.

Georgia, outside of a couple trips to Ann Arbor in the 50's, they would seem to be your strongest challenge for the traveling weenie award....

In all seriousness, I do believe the intersectional match-ups between the great traditional powers is one of the great things in college football. The buzz is always enormous....OSU-Texas, Tenn-ND, Nebraska-PSU is just great, great stuff and I'd love to see more. I'm already looking forward to the Buckeye-USC matchup coming up in a couple years!!!!!

3. Motorcity Gator

Speaking of ducking the question...How many non-conference home and home series in any given year does Ohio State, Michigan or Texas have?

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

MCG I think you missed my post where I give you credit for the FSU as being a very tough non-conf game and I agree that it'd be foolish to schedule them and Ohio State, Texas, USC, etc. But again I pointed out that you could play a winnable game on a home/home basis with schools not quite so powerfull and get out of the Southeast region. Texas will be comming to UCF next year, why couldn't Fla come to Dallas and play SMU or something like that?

Terry

5. Motorcity Gator

Terry,

Why does Texas play 8-10 games a year in the state of Texas?

This has been discussed before...it's the economics of having as many home games as a major program can have or needs to have.

That's why the answer to my question above is one...one home and home series per year with a tougher non-conference foe for just about any team in a major conference.

I personally would like to see UF either sporadically schedule FSU or reduce the conference schedule by one game to allow for out of region games. It would be great for college football.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Well for one thing, we play Texas Tech, Texas A&M and Baylor as part of our conference schedule, plus like every other conference we play 8 conf games as home/home. So we 3 of those are always going to be in the state of Texas, OU is always in Dallas so that makes 4 in Texas and then 2 of the other 4 are home and 2 are away. So every year our normal conference schedule is going to give us 6 games in the state of Texas. Then with 3 or 4 non-conf games we are always going to play 2 or 3 at home against embarassingly easy foes for the money and the win. The other game has frequently been an out of the region trip. We've tripped to Columbus, Notre Dame, New Orleans (Tulane) to Arkansas and next year we are comming to Fla!! Why don't y'all come to Dallas sometime and play TCU or SMU those are sure wins for y'all and you get out of the State of Fla. :)

Or better yet come to Houston and play UofH or Rice, both sure wins. Heck Miami has been here recently! :)

7. Motorcity Gator

If Texas can so seldom leave the state of Texas for "the money" and the conference schedule and can only play one non-con home and home series at a time do you then suggest that Florida must drop FSU altogether in order to trip out of the region for some great non-con games?

Otherwise I don't see that all of these redundant, obsessive comments that so many here like to make about Florida's "regional" schedule serve any purpose.

FYI, this year Texas plays 10 games in the state of Texas for the reasons you mention....which I by the way don't have a problem with but which will probably get the dense Domers here howling.

8. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I guess playing ND every year doesn't count??? :roll:

9. Motorcity Gator

Well...Michigan doesn't play ND every year but in the last two years they have and there has been no other home-and-home series with a non-con foe for Mich in those years.

There was a stretch of games a few years back where UM and ND did not play and Mich was able to mix it up a little and actually in playing catch-up to those opponents there was a couple years where UM played one decent non-con at home while traveling once to another.

Actually that may have been those 12th game years in which Florida played Miami in regular season home and home games while also playing the usual Florida State home and home games in the same season.

By and large though Michigan has only one decent home and home series in a given season.

10. Terry O'Keefe

You are completely missing what I am saying. No don't drop FSU, don't add another big time program to the schedule, but do add a home/home with somebody you can beat like TCU, SMU, Rice, Univ of Houston and come to Texas. Texas is comming to Fla (UCF) next year!!!

11. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

MCG,

hey, if you're comfortable with it, so be it.....but it is a shame that the world doesn't have the opportunity to see the mighty Gators take on say the Badgers, in Madison, in November, in the snow! :lol:

12. Stu Ryckman

Ok...Notre Dame and Michigan have played home-and-homes in 22 of the last 28 years...if you want to discount that as not being a home-and-home you are displaying your total biased view...but yeah, technically I guess it doesn't "qualify".

And yes, they have had another home-and-home series...with UCLA...but you'll probably tell me that doesn't count because it wasn't back-to-back years.

Oh, and they somehow managed to TRAVEL to Oregon in a recent year to go along with their Notre Dame commitment...I guess maybe travel can really be done despite having a tough non-conference home-and-home.

13. Motorcity Gator

Stu, I can't see that you read my last post at all or at least you understand none of it.

In 2005 and 2006 there is no other home and home foe for Mich other than ND.

In some years yes there was another on the schedule but never 2 on the road in the same season and a couple of those years were 12 game seasons in which Florida also had Miami as a home and home foe along with FSU.

No comments on Texas? On Ohio State?

And BT... who plays big non-con home and home games in Nov.? Not too many except for Fla-vs FSU. Hey I would absolutely vote for UF-OSU over FSU as a new blood type game.

I suspect the real problem would be OSU at Florida in Sept. in 98 degrree heat. 8)

14. Stu Ryckman

Nice :p
    Well how many do they need???

Ouch!...I'm...Ouch!....Hitting my head...Ouch!...against a brick wall.

What about your posts did I not understand?

You are so frickkin' impressed that UF has this HUGE burden of playing FSU every year that we ought to annoint them as God Knows What.

You are so frickkin' dissmissive of the ND-Michigan series because they MISSED TWO YEARS.

This is hopeless...carry on, brothers-in-arms... I'm done with this one.

15. Stu Ryckman

Oh, and OSU and Texas have been adequately discussed and defended.

I like Florida and think they are one of the premier and classier programs in the country...please quit trying to change my mind.

16. wzt

wzt New Member

I agree with Stu.

17. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

MCG, Your questiion was
    In the past 15 years, Michigan has had home and home series with ND, Colorado, Boston College, Syc, Washington, and UCLA. Next year we complete our home and home schedule with Oregon and also play ND.

During that time when ND was on the schedule, we also played against Colo, Ore, BC, Wash, and Syc.

18. Stu Ryckman

Ohio State has home-and-homes with USC and Miami (Fl) coming up in the next 5 years. We also travel out to Washington.

Since 1995 we have had home-and-homes with Pitt, ND, Missouri, UCLA, Arizona, Washington St., NC State, and Texas. We also travelled to play Texas Tech, W Va., and Miami Fl.

19. Terry O'Keefe

Ohio State went to Lubbutt to play Tech??? I didn't remember that.

20. Motorcity Gator

I believe I alluded to that Bob.

Stu, when was I dismissive about ND being a quality foe?

It does seem that most of you are dismissive about FSU though because they reside in the state of Florida.