Coronavirus information

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by WSU1996kesley, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Nearly 7 in 10 Americans say the US response to the coronavirus outbreak makes them feel embarrassed, according to a new CNN Poll conducted by SSRS, as 62% of the public says President Donald Trump could be doing more to fight the outbreak.
    The new poll finds disapproval of Trump's handling of the outbreak at a new high, 58%, as the share who say the worst of the pandemic is yet to come has risen to 55% after dropping through the spring. And as the virus has spread from the nation's cities throughout its countryside, the number who know someone who's been diagnosed with the virus has jumped dramatically to 67%, up from 40% in early June.
    And Americans are angry. About 8 in 10 say they are at least somewhat angry about the way things are going in the country today, including an astonishing 51% who say they are very angry. CNN has asked this question in polling periodically since 2008, and the previous high for the share who said they were "very angry" was 35%, reached in 2008 and 2016.

2. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Spewing back what they are being fed.

3. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Maybe if he stayed in the basement he'd have a more favorable rating.

4. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Dave. Once again, informatively, opinionated, and factual....your wrong. Just stop sir. Seriously, just stop. Everything about you is hateful and anti productive to what true America stands for. You want a true poll/sample/facts statement? You have the perfect micro stats right here in our little environment called the SKYBOX. Your wrong Dave.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Motorcity Gator

The polls I cite AJ are answers given by thousands of Americans when polled and reflect the attitude of millions upon millions of others including ex-very high ranking members of the military and others who have held high positions within the Trump presidency.
    I may be the lone ranger here on Skybox..... but I assure you I am not alone in my despising Donald Trump.
    And AJ.... when you are staring at a blank TV screen on Saturday's this fall remember that Trump didn't want to acknowledge the virus, fought the medical experts on it and didn't turn his full attention to doing everything he could to suppress the spread of Covid-19 but on the contrary held careless political rallies like the one in Tulsa that likely claimed the life of Herman Cain.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  6. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

We KNOW you despise YOUR President Dave. But once again you miss the premise of the post. I have never been asked in the last 3 plus years to be involved in ANY poll involving my opinion for what's been going on in MY COUNTRY. BUT ONCE AGAIN, somebody throws a perfect stat at you, even as minute as it may be here in SKYBOX land, and you still refute it. It really doesnt matter at this point now does it. Nov 3rd is right around the corner. May the majority idealogic win. GOD forbid it's the wrong one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Motorcity Gator

8. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

9. Motorcity Gator

10. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

It is really hard to rely on any data in the highly-politicized environment in which we find ourselves, but I keep seeing articles claiming that herd immunity may be possible much earlier than 60%, with some claiming as low as 20%. The basis for this is that no population intermingles universally, and once you start building up pockets of immunity, the remaining pockets don't need to reach the same level of immunity to be protected.

This one talks about their model that predicts immunity as low as 43%:
    Why the spread of coronavirus is forcing scientists to rethink herd immunity

If any of these are true, the last real spike in cases we could see in places that are currently open are the populations going back to school. As far as the places that remain closed, they could arguably receive some benefit from the other states reaching herd immunity first

Again, who knows what is real anymore, but I continue to be optimistic that things will be normalized sooner than later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Found this one in the NYT:
    What if ‘Herd Immunity’ Is Closer Than Scientists Thought?

This one is jarring, especially considering the constant attack from their own writers that Trump is severely mishandling this pandemic:
    I completely agree with this, and have argued this since the days when modeling became the main source of the global warming science. Modeling is an effort at making a guess using data thought to be relevant in ways that are anticipated to be the correct interaction. Modeling in itself is not reliable, but modeling can show the variation of how different assumptions of mathematical interactions could have vastly different results.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Automation has led to great improvements is our quality of life but put me down as hell no for this C19 test.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Yeah...I'll just spit in a bottle thank you.

14. Motorcity Gator

So the CDC has changed testing guidelines to allow asymptomatic people to be unaware that they have the virus while they spread it to others..... but hey just in time for the election the positives will go down because the tests will go down.

"The CDC has not provided evidence to explain the changes.
    "I mean, the evidence that I'm aware of as of today is that close to 40% of the cases of the infections are asymptomatic and asymptomatic people transmit the infection," Del Rio said.
    "So, not testing -- I mean, if you have been in contact with somebody for a few minutes, that's okay. But if you have been in contact for 50 minutes and that people doesn't have a mask, I think you need to be tested regardless if you have symptoms or not. We know especially young people going into the house and then transmit inside the household. So, the guidelines baffle me and I really don't understand them."
    New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo accused the Trump administration of using the CDC as a political tool for the campaign.
    "The only plausible rationale is they want fewer people taking tests because, as the president has said, if we don't take tests you won't know that people are covid positive and the number of covid positive people will come down," Cuomo told reporters Wednesday. "It fosters his failed policy of denial," he said of the President."

15. Stu Ryckman

Isn't it interesting how all the experts said that the increase in cases was NOT due to increases in testing...but now the decrease in cases is due to a decrease in testing (due to wildfires and hurricanes...I'm not talking about the above.)

I think it would be better to test everyone you can...40% of the cases are asymptomatic (maybe)...but that doesn't mean that 40% of asymptomatic contacts are going to have the virus. I would opine that if we test every contact that we can, most would test negative and a few cases would be picked up (a good thing) so the total number goes up a little bit...but the % factor of positive cases would go down...which is a good thing.

More knowledge is always a good thing. The labs may be having trouble keeping up with the volume of testing...

I agree with you...if they have a good rationale for the change they ought to put it out there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Motorcity Gator

I think the experts were saying that an increase in testing just finds more cases that are already out there regardless if you test more to discover them and by not testing it frees up those infected asymptomatic people to spread more virus because no one knows they have it including themselves.
    A decrease in testing leaves those cases undiscovered and lower numbers look good for some politically.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

It seems like there is a lot of good news coming in terms of testing. The NBA has been using a test developed at Yale that gives results quickly and the University of Illinois also has a very quick saliva test that is similar, salavia and fast results. Can't get either of those right now easily but they should be available sometime soon.

Abbott Labs announced a test that cost 5 bucks and gives you highly accurate results in 15 minutes. You are still going to need a Health Care worker, but I imagine that in the near future you'll be able to get these things at Walgreens and do it yourself.

Abbott gets emergency-use approval for $5 rapid COVID-19 test

For people like me it'd be terrific to have a verified negative test before they sit in my dental chair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

19. Stu Ryckman

Is it proven accurate? They've had a lot of false positives with the quick tests...and God only knows if and how many false negatives.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Motorcity Gator

Well.... I posted this before but here is how America feels about our Covid response:
    Nearly 7 in 10 Americans say the US response to the coronavirus outbreak makes them feel embarrassed, according to a new CNN Poll conducted by SSRS, as 62% of the public says President Donald Trump could be doing more to fight the outbreak.
    The new poll finds disapproval of Trump's handling of the outbreak at a new high, 58%, as the share who say the worst of the pandemic is yet to come has risen to 55% after dropping through the spring. And as the virus has spread from the nation's cities throughout its countryside, the number who know someone who's been diagnosed with the virus has jumped dramatically to 67%, up from 40% in early June.
    And Americans are angry. About 8 in 10 say they are at least somewhat angry about the way things are going in the country today, including an astonishing 51% who say they are very angry. CNN has asked this question in polling periodically since 2008, and the previous high for the share who said they were "very angry" was 35%, reached in 2008 and 2016.