Coronavirus information

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by WSU1996kesley, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Just got back from a run up to Academy Sports.
    I ordered a rifle a while back and it came in so I was going to pick it up.
    Um... yeah, NOT. The wait at the gun counter is over 2 hours!
    Also... if you need pistol ammo, you are sh!t out of luck.
    Heck almost all ammo is gone. The TP bandits suddenly realized they needed bullets to defend their butt-paper stashes!
    :p

I'm by no means a prepper, but I do buy ammo whenever I find it at a good price.
    I'm also not a gouger, but I suspect if I wanted to make a little money, I could turn a tidy profit selling a bit of what I have. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

I'm too far removed from anything considered a big ammo dealer, but have seen pics showing other Academy sports shops sold out. I knew things were getting rough when my mechanic asked again how many rounds of ammo I have at the house. Is 1,500 rounds per caliber a tad excessive.....Nahhhhhh

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Those hoarders are gonna need that ammo because if I catch their ass, we're gonna have a Robin Hood situation on our hands ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. RECcane

Lot of discussion on that topic today... Thought tossed out was what if outside the hoarders we have a circumstance where most if not everyone under 45 eats out five days a week. Now faced with avoiding the virus they are buying food to cook at the casa and stores never experiencing this before are not prepared for the amplified purchases

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. RECcane

I realize this sounds terrible but orange juice purchases are off the charts as folks look to boost their immune system.

Cattle prices are tanking as the big feeder corporate companies have stopped working in turn causing shortages on feed, buy beef now, it’s going to be expensive later

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

California Gov. Gruesome Newson has just ordered EVERYONE to stay at home; not just old people.
    Amazon has notified me that they can't deliver the trash bags I ordered, because they're out of stock. On the bright side, the TP that I ordered last month was finally delivered...

• Like Like x 2
  8. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

This was from Friday last week. In terms of confirmed cases, the US will surpass where Italy was today. Spain is the only country with a quicker explosion in confirmed cases.

Here are some charts I have been updating every day with the JHHU data (data collected from Worldometers):
    SARS-COV-2 charts.jpg SARS-COV-2-charts

Total cases: We are still at least 7-10 days out from seeing any impact/improvement from the increased vigilance that started this week, so the total confirmed cases will continue to climb, even if everything was under perfect control starting Monday 3/16. (Please note, I am not able to find reliable and consistent data for the number of tests performed in each of the countries. As a result, there is not a direct correlation between them beyond the fact that these are the number currently known. In a country with fewer tests being performed, like the USA, the number of stealth/undetected cases are likely to be much higher than in countries where they test many more people, like South Korea.)

Total deaths: It is very easy to identify the countries in which the health system has been overwhelmed (Italy, Spain, Iran) vs. those that are still able to provide standard of care (US, UK). France's trend, combined with the next chart, is worrisome. Germany is a very curious outlier. South Korea is self-explanatory due to their early and full isolation, along with aggressive testing programme.

Death rate: Again, it is sobering to see the staunch difference between a country who has had their health system overwhelmed, and those that are still maintaining standard of care. (These numbers are raw total deaths/total confirmed cases, thus, again, depend highly on the number of tests performed. A country that is performing fewer tests likely will only be testing those with symptoms, those will skew toward the critically ill, thus this calculation would skew high.) Note that France is starting to head in the wrong direction. UK's trend is worrying, but could be primarily due to the small sample size, being early in their progression (like the first few days on the US trend); definitely something to watch. Again, Germany is very curious.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bobdawolverweasel

Poor Jo’Co and Mrs. Jo’Co! Welcome to the Hotel California moves from song to reality.:eek:

10. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

We are living in the only area of the state that has a chance: the Mojave Desert.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Bobdawolverweasel

I was reacting to the confinement order, Jo’Co. I would think being out in the desert sun ( assuming social distancing) would be the healthiest thing one could do given the fresh air and sunlight operate as natural disinfectant. During the Spanish Flu pandemic, patients treated outside in hospital camps had much better rate of recovery than those confined inside. Hopefully, you two are allowed to safely stroll in the sun without being subject to Cal government sanctions.

12. Scott88

Ralph, I'm sure I got some confused/hateful looks as I walked out with my bag of 6.5 Creedmore ammo.
    It doesn't work in the "scary" militaristic rifles... so folks aren't buying it.
    No... instead it's an actual high-powered round that can easily touch you at 800 yds.
    :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

It's even better than that. Marijuana Dispensaries have been declared to be a necessary business and will remain open...

• Like Like x 1
  14. IrishCorey

The state closed my wife's department, and then notified her a few days later that she'd have to come in a few days a week, despite the fact that the Dept of Rehab Services is supposed to be closed. Anyway, they were open one freaking day and that evening, my wife received an urgent letter stating that the department would be totally shut down 100% and that no one was to return to the building. We can't get an 'official' answer, but the rumor is that one of the workers who came in on that one day was potentially exposed to the virus and is currently awaiting testing. (which takes forever here in AL).

So, we sit and wait for the 'official' word on whether or not this person is positive. If they are, then my wife would have to be tested and quite possibly our whole family. If we wind up getting this because some jackhole decided they wanted to 'keep it open despite being officially closed,' I am going to be really pissed.

15. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Corey, I would think that you'd want to be tested to either confirm you're OK or to know that you're infected. For me, the worst part of this situation isn't the quarantine. It's not knowing if I've been infected and am in the gestation period and possibly spreading it to others or am on the receiving end of someone who doesn't know he/she is infected. I'm distancing myself from 90%+ of the situations I normally am in, but it's difficult to completely ignore the humanity around me when I'm running necessary errands.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. IrishCorey

Sid,

depending on your Dr, and mine is a hyper-religious quack, it's very hard to get tested for the virus if you aren't showing any symptoms. Since I am severely immunocompromised, I have to be more careful than the average bear. That didn't stop me from finally going to the store today. My wife continues to be out muscled or hustled for things we needed. I went in their today like Dennis Rodman pulling rebounds today. Just asses and swinging elbows for anyone who dare get in the way of my V8 juice :) That's the only public trip I've made besides the Drs. People are really scared right now, and they are showing the worst of themselves. I look forward to the day that the humanity resurfaces, although I believe it may take some really bad news for that to happen.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

FWIW I have shutdown my dental practice. It will have a devastating impact on me financially most likely. Not sure what the bills currently being considered will do to help me and other small businesses, but I hope it's something.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. RECcane

I’m very sorry Terry, let’s hope this unprecedented event can be gone shortly, wishing you the best

• Like Like x 2
  19. Scott88

Get this... a lot of the mechanics at Lockheed are mad that they are still working.
    Why you ask? They think the company should shut down and FULLY PAY THEM.
    I've heard MANY, even a few in my own group who say they are coming to work if they get it since they won't be paid to stay home. (even tho contingencies have been made to keep folks at home if infected)
    Yes... they walk among us.
    :mad:

20. RECcane

What can one say, the free ride is definitely expected. I’ve been watching this and expect the same response from most of my employees especially if a nationwide quarantine is put in place. As we are AG and a supplier the “spice must flow” so we will be working during the shutdown and I expect much moaning and bitching once they realize they are missing the free ride....