College Football Week #7

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Don Ballard, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Some great games coming up this week like Michigan and MSU, Notre Dame-USC, etc. There will be some upsets, but just a matter of picking the right ones.

I can hardly wait to see our new BLACK uniforms for the Penn State game here on Saturday night on ABC! :roll:

2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Alabama vs Texas A&M. This should be another good game. A&M went ahead of Alabama in the polls this week so I guess we will be the underdog for the 2nd time this season.

3. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

C'mon Kyle, you didn't really think you'd be a dog again?
    Openers was 3 for Bama so Nick can't play that card.

This will be a good game if Spavital throws to set up the run.
    If he stubbornly insists on the opposite Tra Carson may not survive and we'll be punting alot...

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I don't know Scott. Our defense is really stepping it up, but our qb is erratic and Kiffin refuses to run first, so if you can pass, and not turn the ball over, you will win this one. We have 2 very good running backs but we don't use them effectively. If I was A&M, I would do everything I could to encourage Alabama to continue to try to pass the ball and then capitalize on the ensuing turnovers. Like I said our defense is playing very well so if A&M does not turn the ball over it will probably be a low scoring game. :?

5. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

The only game between two SEC unbeatens will be in Baton Rouge on Saturday night so that might be a tad interesting I would think.

:wink:

LSU opens up as a 7.5 point favorite.

I saw that SouCar played the right style of defense vs. Fournette but they missed a tackle or two on his 87 yard TD run.

He only had about 75 yards on 19 carries otherwise so there is the blueprint for stopping him.... load the box and make the tackle at the line of scrimmage.

If the LSU Qb wants to try our cover Dbs while we are stacking the line of scrimmage with Fournette defenders then good luck with that.

8)

6. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well stacking the LOS is not a new blue print for stopping a running attack and it works pretty well if you are facing a QB who is not a good thrower, and the LSU QB's are suspect as throwers. So it's a good risk. You always force the defense to back off by completing passes over the top of the stacked defense.

Fournette is the kind of back who you just keep running because eventually he and his OL will wear down the defense and then he pops those big plays.

The Gator defense this weekend and the Alabama defense in 2 weeks will be big tests though for the LSU offense. If they can't pass enough to force the Gators and the Tide to play them honest, it'll be a rough day at the office.

7. Motorcity Gator

Terry I think the UF and Bama secondarys are good enough to keep a mediocre LSU Qb from causing too much damage.

It gets down to making the tackles of Fournette at the line or even behind the line of scrimmage before he gets away down field.

If the UF offense can subsequently move the ball decently I give the Gators a real good chance to pull this one out.

20-17 Florida

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

MCG, who is the UF backup qb? :shock:

9. Terry O'Keefe

Grier was the "Co-Starter" for the first few games at UF, so the backup has some playing time under his belt.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Did the Gators know that Grier had failed a test and would be suspended and use some technicality to get one more game out of him?

https://twitter.com/ThomasGoldkamp/status/653628416831397888?lang=en

11. Motorcity Gator

The back-up is Treon Harris..... the same asshole that parlayed 4 first quarter interceptions of Jameis Winston last year into a resounding 12-3 lead before throwing a 95 yard pick 6 after the last one.

FSU never should have been in the playoff last year because UF should have knocked them out.

But thank our back-up Mr. Harris and the departed Will " I Can't take my hands off the offense" Muschamp for that.

12. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

No mention of my Vols' game this week???

Oh, that's right. We get to enjoy our win for two weeks before we head to Bama! 8)

13. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Hell ND did knock them out until an ACC ref did what ACC refs do.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Beat me too it Gip...ND already had beaten them.

I guess the next question is if Treon Harris does not do very well, who do the Gators turn to next at QB?

15. Terry O'Keefe

I was making my picks last night and there really are a lot of good games this weekend, beyond the obvious A&M/Alabama, Mich/MSU and USC/ND.

OU has to see if they can recover on the road vs KState
    Neb has to see if they can find yet another way to lose in the last minute of the game on the road at Minnesota.
    Ohio State hosts Penn State and I think they are doing a black out? This is a Penn State team though that lost to Temple and barely beat Army...where is Joel complaining about Penn State downgrading their schedule??? :twisted: :twisted:
    Iowa at Northwestern is a very important game for the B1G West.
    UCLA at Stanford...really a must win game for both schools.
    Arizona State at Utah...Sun Devils were thought to be pretty good pre-season but it turns out it was Utah that is pretty good. Can ASU get it together ot derail the Utes?

Anyhow there are lots of good games because teams are in the meat of their schedule.

16. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Although it doesn't likely impact anything, UO vs. uw this weekend is usually a really good hate fest. It's been 10 (11?) years since uw has beat the Ducks, and there's been some really good trolling going on for a while:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/...l-reminder-of-oregons-success-over-washington

Again, not that it impacts anything, but an interesting storyline for Wazzu is that we had three Oregon schools on our schedule this year, and were expected to go 2-1 against them. We (ahem) likely will beat Oregon St. this Saturday but who would have imagined the loss would have been to PORTLAND FREAKING STATE instead of Oregon or Oregon St.??? Right now the "best" school in Oregon is PSU.

Ole Miss vs. Memphis could be a better game than most are predicting.

If Georgia is going to have a chance to win the SECW they need to win the rest of their SEC games, starting with Mizzou this weekend (as well as hope for a loss by Florida to LSU this weekend). I'm interested in seeing how Georgia responds. It shouldn't be a contest, but this is Georgia.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah I was looking at the Ole Miss/Memphis game. Justin Fuente the Memphis coach is the hot coach that nobody talks about. He has revived Memphis football from the depths. This is a huge game for them. But then I thought about the talent that Ole Miss has and figured it would be too much for a gritty Memphis team. But maybe not.

That link to the #lasttimeuwbeat ou was hilarious. I had one of those Motorola Flip phones...it was the bomb, the best tech of it's day. I still have VHS tapes but nothing to play them on! :)

Wazzu..alive and kicking.

BTW Kes did you think about putting your house on one of those rental sites and pickup 3 or 4 grand rentiing it to Alabama fans looking for a place to stay in College Station?

18. Motorcity Gator

Ain't it the truth..... :evil:

FSU is the flagship member of the Always Crooked Conference.

19. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

T - if I didn't have a wife and kid to worry about, I would seriously consider it! From what I've seen, I could rent out three of my rooms at $500 a pop and still have my own space.

20. Terry O'Keefe

A couple of years ago we rented the house of a young couple which had 2 kids for the ND/MSU game. It was a little strange being in somebody's house with all their stuff, pictures of the kids, toys in the playroom. I got to sleep in the boys bedroom, he had race car bunk beds and it was a tight fit, but that was better than the all pink girls room one of the guys got to sleep in. The only couple, a nephew and his girlfriend, got the master bedroom which was quite nice and the two other guys shared a regular room with twin beds.

Don't know what the couple did that weekend, but they made 3500$ off of us, and according to the website we used (Rent like Champion) their house was available for all ND home games. 6x3500=21K in extra income. I can hear their kids now though...but I don't want to go to grandma's again...shut up kid it's your college fund!! :)