College Football Week #13

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Don Ballard, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Here we are week # 12 and I can not believe how fast the time has passed.

Michigan week for the Buckeyes and somehow it does not seem as important this year. Wonder why I feel that way? :cry: :wink:

I have no idea how this season is going to end. Every week seems to create more surprises!

2. Don Ballard

Whoops I meant for that to be week 13. Maybe one of the moderators can correct the Topic Title?

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Don, since you originated the topic, you can change it yourself.

4. Don Ballard

Thanks Sid, I learned something new today! :wink:

5. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

It definitely goes by too fast.

One game left for my Aggies. Two sputtering offenses face off in Red Stick on Sat night.
    Unfortunately my offensive woes are mostly self inflicted.
    Im sure Fournette will go for about 250 against our clueless LBs.
    I have to hope Spavital comes down with chicken pox prior to the game so someone else can call the plays or we're dead.
    :x

6. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Scott you found out you have a terrific FG kicker!! :)

Big games all around this coming weekend.

Neb/Iowa ...Can the Huskers pull the upset in Lincoln? If they do it really hurts the B1G position in the playoffs.

UM/OSU ...losing to UM at Ann Arbor will be a terrible ending for the Buckeyes and could kick start a streak for Harbaugh over OSU which has somewhat owned the Wolverines since the Tressel years.

Stanford/ND....ND wins and they are likely, but not a lock, for the playoffs. Lose and hello Fiesta Bowl. But truthfully with all the injuries, which BTW are still coming. Lost the starting CB against BC and the 1000yd rusher again.

Texas/Texas Tech ...I can't imagine the Longhorn nations reaction to a loss to Texas Tech on Thanksgiving Day.

Baylor/TCU ...Baylor if they win impressively could be back in the conversation. But both Baylor and TCU will possibly be without some QB's. Boykin is still iffy, and Stidham did not finish vs OkState the 3rd string guy however did pretty damn good.

OU/OKState...OKState win probably doesn't get them back into the conversation, but an OU win does keep them in the conversation. Will Baker Mayfield be able to play, he's apparently going through concussion protocol.

Iron Bowl.....Auburn could seriously screw up things.

FSU/UF ...UF win and a win in the SECCG still might not be enough to get them in the playoffs with horrible games vs Vandy and FAU still in the committee's minds.

Pac12....a lot of important games just none that will impact the plaoffs beyond Stanford having the opportunity to deep six any chance ND has.

Navy/UH..this game is huge for Navy. If they win out they will play in a New Years 6 Bowl for the first time since Joe Bellino. I think they can do it.

7. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

It will be a huge disappointment to UM fans if they cannot duplicate what their hated rival MSU just did to the Buckeyes.

On Florida..... it is very very unlikely in either case.

Very unlikely that UF wins against both FSU and Alabama.

And even more unlikely that if they somehow by some miracle managed to do so that they would be left out of the CFB playoff because of "poor wins".

8. Terry O'Keefe

I wonder if Harbaugh will guarantee a victory over OSU like he did back in '86! :)

I don't remember it, but do you Buckeye fans remember it?

http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/14180603/jim-harbaugh-1986-michigan-victory-guarantee-strikes-nerve-ohio-state

9. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

The further we get away from the BCS era and the BCS mindset, the better off we'll all be. Going to 8 teams will be the killing joke that exposes the fraud and gives us real football back. We're getting there, but we're still a bit shy.

ND is good example. Using all of the previous standards that have determined title contenders before, they are in without thought. But every year, the qualifications seem to change and the beauty pageant element creeps back into the sport. The one thing the BCS was designed to do, allegedly, is the one thing it placed the most emphasis on.... figure skating drama/beauty queen contests.

Anyway, ND has 1 loss. That loss came on the road against the #1 in the country, in a stadium as feared as any in the country during a storm of biblical scale and they still lost on a missed 2 point conversion after giving Clemson everything they had for the 1st half. They've beaten teams that other contenders lost to, or struggled with, soundly. The very few close games they've had have come against teams that have to be hard to get up to face. There's no team that gets up for 12 weeks, it just doesn't happen.

If you take "ND" out of that paragraph, there's no way you'd consider leaving that team out if they run the table. You'd not hear anyone insult you with the logic that somehow Oklahoma has proven more. It's all still a ratings grab and even the networks don't understand that they don't have to manufacture drama. The game will do that itself.

10. Terry O'Keefe

We need a visit from AJ to give us the history of this Rivalry game between Neb and Iowa. Maybe even explain the term "blue plate" special. :)

Supposed to be cold in Lincoln, and the Hawkeyes at 11-0 open at 2.5 favorites over the 5-6 Huskers. Sounds like Vegas doesn't believe.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Corey you watch, the old rule was supposedly that head to head was what counted...which was the '89 rule when both Miami and ND ended up with 1 loss and Miami beat ND.

Then later in '93 they decided that head/head was really 2nd to who loses last. So ND beating FSU head to head was negated by the late loss by ND to BC.

So now we have OU no head/head with ND but a common foe, Texas who ND destroyed and OU lost. Their loss coming later than the ND loss to #1 Clemson on the road. So the new mantra will be forget the other 2, it is whoever is most impressive in their last 3 games.

12. Motorcity Gator

My only game ever in Columbus..... what a doozy!

26-24 comeback win for UM.

13. Terry O'Keefe

A lot of talk about LSU and Les "the hat" Miles parting company. I can hardly believe it, Miles has a great record at LSU and has won a Nat'l Title. Sure he's a quirky guy and maybe too in love with his tricks. But the guy wins a lot of ball games.

The talk is that LSU will go after Jimbo Fisher, but why would Fisher leave FSU? I can't believe FSU wouldn't pay him whatever LSU would pay him. Not to mention FSU is in a great spot in the ACC with regards to football, LSU certainly a top SEC team, but has to play in what is probably the toughest division in college football right now.

Chip Kelly???? He's making 6.5M in the NFL and just got control of the Eagles franchise with regards to players. Granted the Eagles aren't doing great this year, but I can't imagine him walking away from it after 1 year in control.

14. Don Ballard

Dave,

I really do not remember the game either, but I tend to forget the games we lost to Michigan! :wink:

I did watch a condensed version of the game on Youtube and it was a doozy!

15. Motorcity Gator

I do remember the game in spite of the Schnapps bottle some friendly OSU fans kept passing back to us! :D

Jamie Morris and Greg McMurtry assisted Harbaugh in the comeback.

UM down 14-3 in 2nd quarter and the Shoe was going bananas!!

16. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

17. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

18. Terry O'Keefe

Michaelangelo is rolling over in his grave! :)

19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

On one hand, my reaction is.....UGH!

On the other hand.......LOL! :D

20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Time to repaint the ceiling.