College Football , State of the Dis-Union

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by George Krebs, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Wow... o_O

2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

DeVonta Smith pens heartfelt, hand-written note to teacher

Just another retort to George's point about education.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

That is impressive kp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

NCAA Prez Mark Emmert opposes seperating FBS football from the NCAA.

NCAA president Mark Emmert said he "couldn't disagree more" with a proposal that the association should part ways with the most lucrative sports under its purview in an effort to preserve the education-based model of sports it espouses.

Emmert delivered his annual state-of-the-union style address Tuesday afternoon at the NCAA convention, which is being held virtually because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The 10-minute speech outlined his prescribed approach to some of the most pressing challenges the NCAA faces in what he deemed a "seminal year" for the century-old association. He said that while it would be naïve to ignore the "enormous amount of revenue" generated by sports such as FBS football and basketball, his hope is that the member schools that make up the NCAA will focus on spending that money in a way that prioritizes the needs of college athletes.

Emmert rejects call for FBS football, NCAA split

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

That was kind of retro...only 5 years before I got there...what nerdy times. :) The campus there looks more like I remember than it does now.
    All those old geezers at their 50th reunion...mine's only 4 years away.
    Geez...remember punch cards?? Bob Griese doing the kicking?
    Ah, the advent of computer dating.
    I'm probably the only guy who watched all that...but thanks for posting, Jim.

7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I watched it. Jim, the lady I earlier told you about who knew Steve Martin was one of the baton twirlers in the video. Also, I remember well the 1965 ND at Purdue game my senior year. I was there. I still recall that Bob Griese completed 19 of 22 passes and Terry Hanratty threw 51 passes, completing 28. Funny the things you remember from long ago. Randy Minnear and Gordon Teter, both from Indianapolis (I played HS ball vs. Minnear), ran well, and Purdue won the game. Later, there was talk that Purdue had tapped the ND sideline phones and knew what plays ND was running. I never heard the outcome of the controversy, but Purdue was good enough in those days to play ND nose to nose, so the upset was not shocking.

8. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

My 60th is not far away and I was a dropout for four years. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

It was bound to happen, and I'm a bit surprised it's taken this long. As we all know Zoom calls are now a staple of recruiting since we are still in the extended dark period where coaches can't visit recruits and recruits can't take official visits and if they do on their own dime they can't meet with coaches while they are on campus.

So somebody has leaked a partial video of Saban talking to a recruit on a Zoom call. Nothing is said that is out of line, Saban makes his pitch why Alabama is a great place to come and play. So not really a big deal. But it should put coaches on notice that everything they say is being recorded if they weren't already thinking of that.

Leaked video shows snippet of Nick Saban’s Zoom call with an Alabama recruit

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

This is actually kind of a good thing. Now if you tell a kid they will get a new car if they come to your school, it may show up on youtube. Of course, the other possibility is that someone manipulates a video to incriminate a coach that in reality did nothing wrong. Man, technology, and social networks have really complicated communications.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Terry O'Keefe

I'm a bit shocked Don, I thought he was gone. I imagined that Sark would give him a call and talk about reconsidering with the new staff, but that in the end Ewers would stick with Ohio State. I actually just left the InsideTexas page and I didn't see it there, I would have thought it would blow up the board. But maybe it will hit soon.

12. Terry O'Keefe

He just put up a new profile picture on Twitter Monday....so if he did change his mind ...that was really fast and I actually looked at his Twitter feed and I don't see anything.