College football recruiting and more

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by George Krebs, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Don't blame him.

I am pretty distressed as to what is going on in College Football and having a really interesting time following the Kansas City Chiefs and Mahomes.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

We're coming up on the National Signing Day, which has been rendered mostly irrelevant by the early signing day, but there are still some guys out there.

Also very interesting that this is going on, can't say I trust this cabal!!:rolleyes:

SEC, Big Ten form advisory group

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I think the beginning of the new college football organization is emerging.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

"I think the beginning of the new college football organization is emerging." And that is why FSU is desperate to leave the ACC. The question is, what's Clemson thinking?

5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I think the other candidates for the Big60 will start to figure out how to get there.

6. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

a sporting news release:

Ohio State bolstered its 2025 recruiting class Sunday with the commitment of five-star cornerback Na'eem Offord. The Parker High School standout in Birmingham is the No. 1 player in Alabama and ranks as the No. 2 cornerback in the nation and No. 6 overall prospect in the 2025 cycle, according to 247Sports. He held offers from at least 46 schools, including the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Clemson, LSU and many more premier programs.

Offord becomes the eighth prospect in the 2025 cycle to commit to Ohio State. He's also the second five-star prospect in that cycle to do so, joining Galena Park North Shore (Texas) cornerback and No. 4 overall prospect Devin Sanchez. As a result, the top-two cornerbacks in the 2025 cycle have now pledged to play for the Buckeyes.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I think speaks to the broader impact of the retirement of Coach Saban. If he's still in Tuscaloosa, he's likely all Bama and nobody else gets a sniff of that kid

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Buckeyes under Day/Hartline have been a recruiting machine, you guys are consistently top 5. But recruiting is changing with the retirement of Nick that's for sure. Whether or not the new guy can get it back is yet to be seen. If he has a great season next year and wins the SEC West/SEC Championship it certainly could bounce back to top 5 . Right now though the sharks smell blood in the water and are taking runs at talent that would have defaulted to the Tide.

The question that has to be on Bama fans minds are is he the next Ray Perkins or Bill Curry both who were good but not Bear good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, right now, DeBoer seems to be doing a good job of holding on to most of the already recruited class of 24. Rivals, ESPN and ON3 all have Alabama with the No. 2 Class, right behind Georgia. I’m not a great fan of recruiting rankings but if we can lose the best coach in college football and bring in a high quality recruiting class, I am encouraged. DeBoers class next year will be his real recruiting test. Especially since he doesn’t know a single high school coach in Alabama .

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

A very valid point Kp!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

I had to go look that up, I guess I was thinking about the kids who hit the Portal after Sabin retired. I sort of thought that a lot of the 2024 class might have fallen apart as well, but Sabin retired weeks after the early signing date and while those kids like the Sayin kid could transfer clearly not many chose to do so. They might have even looked at the exodus as opening up opportunity for them to play early.

But 247 composite has them just as you noted at #2, but those rankings haven't been updated since they still have Julian Sayin listed as a member of the class. But ESPN has and they have the Tide at #2 as well and the Buckeyes are at #3 with Air Noland and Julian Sayin at QB.

So good job holding things together. As you noted 2025 will be the class that tells us the direction things will go for the new guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

What a crazy time in college football. Michigan will get popped with sanctions for, in part, buying lunch for a committed recruit during a no contact period. Not arguing about the propriety of the punishment but compare that gift to this legal gift from NIL donors:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Bobda,
    I may be on the wrong case, but I thought Michigan might get popped with sanctions because some of the coaches lied to the NCAA during the investigation?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

The lunch resulted in a Level 2 charge. The lying or refusal to cooperate ( as far as I know no specifics have been provided) resulted in the more serious L1 charge. There are also separate incidents that also resulted in L2 charges. That is why I referred to the lunch as being “in part” of the total sanctions sought to be imposed on Michigan.

15. Terry O'Keefe

I'm sorry but no college kid needs a Lambo, I don't care if he can afford it or not. It's just stupid. Sure buy a nice car/truck/SUV but cripes not a Lambo or a Bentley (Prime's kid).

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Oh lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz...

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

To paraphrase Demi Moore’s objection in A Few Good Men: I agree! I strenuously agree!

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

How do you coach kids with that much money to throw around. As Jeff Haley would probably say, "you can't, at least I can't."

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I agree, hell it's hard enough to get 'em to listen and learn when they're broke. Can't imagine the job of a coach at a major schools these days. No thanks..... imagine what Bear, Woody, Bo, Osborne, Ara, McKay, Wilkinson, Royal, et al any of the old giants of the game would think today???

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Terry O'Keefe

National Signing Day....used to be a big day, now not so much a few guys but more of a non-event. Alabama though did pickup a couple of big names.

National Signing Day arrived without much fanfare on Wednesday, but that won't stop a few teams from celebrating. Among those programs, Alabama will likely cheer the loudest.

Texas A&M was an early winner with five-star Terry Bussey, 247 Sports' No. 16 overall prospect, signing his letter of intent. SEC rival LSU added five-star defensive lineman Dominick McKinley, the top Louisiana recruit in the 2024 class and originally a member of Texas A&M's recruiting class. Big Ten newcomer Oregon added No. 27 overall prospect Gatlin Bair.
    However, the Tide were the day's big winner, with two players in 247 Sports top 100 signing their letter of intent.

Five-star wide receiver Ryan Williams signed with the Tide on Wednesday morning, and Noah Carter, the No. 8 edge-defender in the 2024 class, joined him later in the day.

Most of the top recruits announced their decisions on early signing day on Dec. 20, neutering what used to be one of the biggest days on the college football calendar.But for Alabama, in particular, National Signing Day 2024 is huge for a program that dealt with defections following Nick Saban's retirement.

When the dust settled, Alabama finished with the No. 2 recruiting class in 2024, per 247, tying Georgia for the most five-star recruits (five) and also adding the sixth-most four-stars (17).

Head coach Kalen DeBoer needed positive news to offset the negatives. 2024 quarterback recruit Julian Sayin decommitted and agreed to join Ohio State. The Tide also lost valuable 2023 freshman Caleb Downs, who went to the Buckeyes, too.