College football recruiting and more

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by George Krebs, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Brian Kelly fired his defensive staff today. I play golf with a LSU guy who says that if LSU had had even an average Les Miles defense they'd have been undefeated.

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

3. Terry O'Keefe

I like it, but it will never be implemented.

4. Terry O'Keefe

I see that 5* former #1 ranked QB Malachi Nelson is likely to go to Boise State. No chance he would have even talked to them when he was recruited to USC.

5. Terry O'Keefe

It makes no sense to me that by This kid is in the Portal. He's had a lot of success at Ole Miss. Why leave?

Mississippi sophomore running back Quinshon Judkins is entering the transfer portal.

In two seasons for Lane Kiffin and the Rebels, Judkins made his presence known.

A year after earning SEC Freshman of the Year honors in 2022 after with an SEC-high 1,567 yards and 16 touchdowns, the 5-foot-11, 210-pound Judkins led the conference this season with 15 rushing touchdowns while finishing second in rushing (1,158) behind Missouri's Cody Schrader.

6. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Will Howard, Kansas State QB announces his commitment to Ohio State today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Don are you surprised at this?

Speculation about one of Brown or the guy who replaced him going to the Portal? That seems to happen a lot when a big name QB comes as they are usually given the QB1 slot going to Spring Drills.

8. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Not at all Terry, his commitment will allow incoming five star Air Noland to learn the system. I am not sold on either of the two scholarship QBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I'm not real surprised...our QB room is up in the air thanks to the injury to Brown not allowing a good look at him and the inexperience of Kienholz and of course Nolen. But I have thought (and still do) that Day would have a wide open competition this spring...and I thought that the only way we'd get a commit like Howard would be to pretty much tell him that he's gonna be the man. Woulda liked to have been a fly on the wall when OSU talked with him.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Me too, but I really have a hard time thinking that Day would give the kid any more assurances than he gave McCord when Kyle and his Daddy came in demanding a guarantee and NIL bump. In truth, based upon what I've seen, I think McCord is the better QB, with more upside given his age. Perhaps the young man watched the Cotton Bowl and thought his chances pretty good ??

11. Terry O'Keefe

I don't think you get a chance at a top QB in the Portal unless they are QB1 for the Spring.

For one reason they, at least if you believe Rhule they cost at least 1 million or more, FWIW Sam Hartman cost that. Also if that money is to be well invested you have to give him the majority of the reps with the 1's to make sure he succeeds.

12. BuckeyeT

I thought this was kinda funny.....I do think McCord had alot more upside. McCord finished 14th in the country in QB rating in 2023 as a first year starter. Howard was 54th with 2x the number of starts under his belt. Just a bad situation. I get that family McCord didn't like how he was treated after the loss, but that's life on the big stage which is what they signed up for. Ill-advised in his transfer imho. The whole transfer portal thing open before seasons end just doesn't sit well with me....crazy train.

upload_2024-1-5_14-3-5.png

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Terry O'Keefe

Joe Burrow was just another Joe who played QB in his 1st year at LSU. In today's world he probably goes to the Portal.

McCord could've made a big leap in his 2nd year as a starter, maybe not a Joe Burrow leap but a big step up.

Given how far down Syracuse is talent wise not much chance of that happening for him

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Another head scratcher. He should move on to the NFL. But if not why would he look to move?

Former Maryland quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa has entered the NCAA transfer portal, and he told ESPN in a phone interview on Friday that he filed for a reinstatement waiver with the NCAA on Thursday for a sixth year of eligibility.

Tagovailoa played five seasons, including his freshman year at Alabama in 2019. He went on to become the Big Ten's all-time passing leader in his subsequent four seasons at Maryland, throwing for 11,256 yards. The 2020 season doesn't count toward eligibility because of rules that emerged during the COVID-19 pandemic, which would have left Tagovailoa another year if he'd redshirted in 2019.

15. Stu Ryckman

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Don, it appears that our former center will be transferring to Ohio State. He is a smart and talented athlete. I was hoping he would stay at Alabama and maybe move to guard.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BuckeyeT

Yep, sounds official here KP. Looks to be a fine young man. He brings a lot of quality experience. If he returns to form, which I expect that he will, he's a fine addition. It will be interesting to see if he or our 2023 center moves to guard.

Former Alabama Center Seth McLaughlin Transfers to Ohio State

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Howard is a really nice pick up for OSU. Day’s offense is enhanced with a mobile QB and he now has a QB whose pro comparison is Josh Allen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. BuckeyeT

Hmmm, I hope you're right. I'll withhold judgement until I see it on tape. I have heard people suggest that because we're of similar size I might resemble Robert Redford and/or Paul Newman until they looked at the tape.....

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. Stu Ryckman