College Football Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Don Ballard, Nov 5, 2019.

1. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Ok, I have to admit that. I didnt get to see a lot of Notre Dame games from start to finish, but it just doesn't seem to make sense to sign a contract to pay a school a lot of money and then get on the air and bad mouth them.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

No doubt I'm in the minority, at least of online posters, but I just don't think the color guy no matter who it's been over the years has made me not enjoy watching the games.

3. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Yes Corey.... Florida did play LSU pretty damned tight in Baton Rouge.... but that speaks to me of where Florida is and not where Wisconsin is.
    If there were 8 teams this year I may have had a bitch that the Gators were more worthy than was Wisky although Wisconsin destroyed Michigan.

Michigan by the way is a micro view of Notre Dame's season. The Irish were cooked after that miserable showing in Ann Arbor.... it was a pretty piss poor performance that I would have despised if I were an Irish fan.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Believe me Dave that Mich loss left a bad taste in the mouths of all the ND fans that wasn't washed out with the winning streak and bowl win afterwards.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

"Kinda like going back to the days of unlimited scholarship and Prop rosters???" I said, sarcastically. ;)

Agreed, this is worse, because not only will the big Death Star and Imperial Star Destroyer programs continue to accrue the bulk of the nation's talent, but with the transfer portal, they will get a second bite of the apple every year for talent they may have missed, or missed on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Terry O'Keefe

I see that Felipe Franks has landed at Arkansas. D'Eriq King the Houston QB, has landed at Miami.

7. Terry O'Keefe

I was listening to the ESPNU guys talk about this in the context of what do kids who are high profile want, it used to be immediate playing time. But high profile guys on both lines are going to places like Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Ohio State where the depth charts are stacked and are content to wait their turn. Not so much for skill position players though.

There is no solution, it's an open market place, there are no rules or systems like the NFL where the worst teams get the top draft picks. The College System is like if the NFL reversed things and the Super Bowl winner got the #1 overall draft pick. But truthfully the top teams today are pretty much the same list of top teams that we had in 1960 with some exceptions.

8. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I'm with Corey and think an 8 team playoff would work. It could be tied in with existing bowl games.

The at large teams should be best available no matter conference.

And Oregon was not eliminated until they lost the 2nd game.

9. Terry O'Keefe

I see that Oklahoma State had another player enter the Transfer Portal. They have now had 18 guys enter the portal, including 9 scholarship players. I do find it interesting that walk-ons enter the portal. If you were never on scholarship what difference does it make?

10. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Yeah that doesn't make any sense.

11. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Only thing I can think of is some were "preferred" walkons... and could get a scholly offer from a smaller school. Gives them more contacts to see if anyone is interested.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Terry O'Keefe

Probably need a new thread on College Football, but one more post. It doesn't have anything to do with current stuff. I just found out that Jevan Snead who played for Texas and Ole Miss as a QB, committed suicide back in Sept. He was suffering from early dementia/CTE The article included a clip of a hit he took in the Cotton Bowl 2010 game Ole Miss/Ok State. It was a decleater for sure, and I think today it would be called a penalty as it was a blindside hit. Brutal hit.

The article talks a lot about head injuries, CTE, etc. But it's such a sad story. I do wonder if we'll be playing football 20 years from now, or if we are it won't be the same game.

Full Contact: How a lifetime of football blows ended in tragedy for Jevan Snead