College Football Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Don Ballard, Nov 5, 2019.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

What Don said. And I hate the transfer portal. Now any kid can leave for any reason and play immediately in most cases.

2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

George, I saw where the Dayton Flyers won over St Louis last at games end!:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah I have read some writers making the same argument, but the question is what can be done about it? Reduce the total scholarships? That would spread the talent around more. The more successful programs and the best recruiters would still get the best of the best but it would mean that the top 500 or so might have a wider distribution but the more sought after players would still probably go to the big time schools.

• Like Like x 1
  4. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

A big part of this is USC being down. USC could solve this problem, but they appear to be in the middle of an identity crisis. There's a serious problem in media coverage of the sport, but again, you can't blame the winners for doing things better. The answer if you're not #1 is to beat #1. Still, with the marquis name in sports reporting having a major financial interest in the well being of only certain conferences, this will continue to be a problem to an extent.

5. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Don, re: your concern. In my view, programs become dominant because of special, sometimes great, coaches. I believe this is why dominance ebbs and flows over the years. To put it briefly, case in point, Southern Cal (wrote this before I saw Corey's post above).

• Like Like x 1
  6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Corey, you're probably right. Exclusive rights to broadcast certain conferences or schools certainly ensures that those conferences or schools get the most exposure but again that is a reflection of those conference's or school's ability to draw an audience. Another question is is this really a problem? I firmly believe that these things are cyclical. Texas, Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Tennessee, will be back as premier programs. Will UCF, Boise St., Fresno St or Louisville ever make it? I think they can but they will have to probably have a string of years like UCF had and have a stronger schedule. Are the Alabamas, Ohio States, Clemsons and Notre Dames winning because of the exposure of are they getting the exposure because they are winning? Again the question becomes what can be done?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. IrishCorey

I have long been of the opinion that the 8 team playoff format cures a lot of this. People say it takes away from the season and the bowls, I believe it enhances all of that. People can now play marquis games out of conference without risk, and actually be rewarded for it if you wind up going for a wildcard spot. It rewards regular season champions. As we sit now, the Pac12 was essentially 'out' of the race opening night when Oregon lost a last second game to Auburn. That's insane! It takes the onus out of the television studio and puts it back on the field. Major conference champs and 3 wildcards. Play it out on the field... and for people who say we don't have time to do it, I'd point to this season. All that wasted off-time before and after January 1st. We could easily fit in the extra games. Right now, what we're doing, is essentially a BCS with lipstick on it. It's better than the BCS, but not by much.

As for the media coverage, I remember when the west coast kids who would go south were one of two kind of kids. They were either marquis and rare... or, they were a 3rd tier 2 star whose parents knew the recruiting process.

Now, kids from the West are lining up to go South and why wouldn't they? The best TV coverage. The most hyped programs. The perceived 'best' conference. Best of all, about 85% of the media covering the sport has a vested financial interest in continuing the hype of the conference. Mind you, I'm not knocking the SEC for this. It's just the reality of the situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Corey, I too think an 8 team playoff is the best idea. I'm not for the Conference championship exemptions but that is probably the only way this will get done.
    I don't think Oregon was out of the race until they lost their second game. I think Alabama was also out of the race when they lost their second game.
    I also think that USC, UCLA and Oregon at least should have the ability to recruit with anybody just as Ohio State, Clemson and Oklahoma do. Those teams don't have the edge that you say the SEC has, but they too have top ranked recruiting classes. Of course, Notre Dame has all of their home games broadcast by NBC, so NBC has a vested financial interest in continuing the hype of the school as well.
    Once again, I think this is all going to be moot once the cycle takes over and the power moves to another conference. I hope Alabama makes it back to the playoffs so that I can enjoy it for as long as possible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. IrishCorey

NBC's coverage of ND games is absolutely putrid, just an FYI :) They don't do it the 'ND way.' They don't use the real voices of ND football. In fact, they've often employed notorious anti-ND figures under the guise of them being 'long time ND admirers.' I'd kill for the type of coverage that the SEC conference gets from the SEC Network and the mothership.

10. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Corey I think the relationship between ESPN and the B1G TEN is almost identical. Many OSU fans deplore the coverage by ESPN anymore and especially the Buckeyes!

11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Corey, their coverage of Notre Dame must be profitable, didn't they extend the contract just a couple of years ago? NBC has a financial interest in Notre Dame doing well and being promoted just like ESPN does in their contractual relationships. If I never had to hear Brock Huard's voice again, I would be a very happy man and I guess he has left ESPN so that is a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I think LSU would have scored what it wanted on team number 8 this year and last year Clemson or Alabama likewise.
    Of course Joe Burrow could have been taken out of the playoffs on a targeting hit by team number 8's LB and then the best team may not have won the national championship this year.

13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Who is team #8?

14. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I don't really agree with Corey on the ND/NBC deal. I haven't really ever had much of a problem with the NBC teams, but they haven't been esp popular with a lot of fans. I don't know though what people expect, do they think NBC should have homer announcers like all the Radio Networks do across college football?

It was a great deal for ND and ND fans when it started and I'm glad it's continued, the money ND gets from it isn't that great as time has gone on and the Conferences have all gotten big deals with their Networks.

If when this contract is up with NBC, and we're still independent, then I'm ok with the Irish moving to another Network if that is what is the best deal. But I don't expect that we'll suddenly have an announcing team that the fans will go ...Finally!!!

15. Terry O'Keefe

With regards to announcing teams, most of them are just white noise anyway and it's the actual game that is either good or not. I do like Tony Romo though, don't care all that much for Troy Aikman. I even like Herbie, and I like Jim Nance as well. I even liked Brent Musburger.

I am tired though of Dickie V.

16. IrishCorey

YES!!! If you're to be so bold as to have your own network, you better be so bold as to supply your own home coverage because no one else is going to give it to you. ND's broadcasts have, IMHO, over time gotten worse and worse until they've become as inviting as our home stadium.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. Terry O'Keefe

I think they've gotten better, mostly because the technology has gotten better not because of any particular broadcast crew. I even liked Pat Haden when he was doing the color. Bottom line is I enjoy the heck out of games when we play well and win! I don't give a rats ass who's yaking at me from the telly. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Team number 8 this year was Wisconsin..... LSU vs. Wisconsin... would that have really been necessary?
    Expose LSU's top offensive players like Joe Burrow to Wisconsin's salty defense for what reason?

19. IrishCorey

Yes it would have. I saw how close Florida played LSU. They play games for a reason and if you really think you guys were that much 'walk on water' better than Wisconsin, I've got some beach front property in Tennessee to sell you.

20. IrishCorey

As for the TV coverage, I just disagree. If there was an alternative to an ND home broadcast, I'd watch it. I even prefer ESPN's over-hyped broadcasts to NBC broadcasts. At least this way when the announcer is jumping out of his seat at the excitement of another Brian Kelly offense 3 and out, throwing 3 bombs into a monsoon, it makes sense. I don't have to listen to Flutie polishing himself off at the 'blanket coverage' some 2 star from Kentucky just threw on our future NFL WR.