College Football Off Season.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Covid odditity. Micha Dew-Treadway, Minnesota DT will be starting his 7th year of college football this fall. Grad transferred from Notre Dame where he was on the team in 2015 (RS), 2016 (injury) 2017 and 2018 where he played 21 games. So he had 1 year left when he transfered which is typical for a Grad Transfer. But then he applied for a medical hardship for his 2016 injury season and got it. So that gave him 2 years instead of 1, he played in 2019 for the Gophers and that 6th year in 2020...but remember that was a free year so it didn't count and he's playing in his 7th year this fall. I guess he's probably pretty close to tenure! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Penn State is on fire with 2022 recruiting. They are currently #1, now looking at their 24 players who are about a 50/50 mix of 3 and 4 star players, they are likely to drop when Ohio State (14) and Alabama(14) and Clemson(12) start matching their numbers with mostly high ranking 4 star players and only a few 3 star players and a couple of 5 stars thrown in for good measure!

3. Terry O'Keefe

B12 booted Texas AD, Chris Del Conte from the playoff committee.

Justified Payback even I would have to say.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

An uninvolved party might observe that Del Conte probably should have recused himself from the discussions in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

NCAA released their guidelines for Covid this fall. If I remember correctly though, conferences decide what they will do for their teams. Last year the Big 10 had the strictest rules if I remember correctly.

Unvaccinated college athletes should be tested weekly for COVID-19, wear masks in most situations and be quarantined if exposed to the virus, while vaccinated individuals should not be tested routinely, according to the NCAA's latest health and safety recommendations released Wednesday.

The updated guidance mostly follow CDC recommendations and come as football practice starts across the country. They also come at a time when the highly transmissible delta variant has led to some regional spikes in COVID infections.

NCAA suggests weekly testing for unvaccinated

6. Terry O'Keefe

I wonder if the surge with the delta variant will lead California to reinstate some of the restrictions that virtually made it impossible for football teams to even practice.

7. Terry O'Keefe

I wonder when we'll see the first covid issue come up for teams around the country, will we see a game cancelled? Practices delayed. There is a wide variation in team vaccination level all across the country.

I'm fairly sure that the Irish are 100% vaccinated unless there is a player with a medical or religious exemption. I say that because being fully vaccinated is a condition for enrolling at Notre Dame for the fall semester with exceptions as noted.

8. Terry O'Keefe

I've read that 65 NFL players have tested positive in training camp, the Vikings got their QB position wiped out over Covid positive tests. That's 32 teams, I imagine that with 3X that many college teams and more players involved that we'll see similar issues in August.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Don a non-football question. I watched a PBS show on Jesse Owens, which was great by the way, and couldn't help noticing that his Ohio State track jersey just had OHIO on the front, not Ohio State. I remember that Bo always referred to the Buckeyes as Ohio. When did the Buckeyes start putting Ohio State on uniforms rather than OHIO?

10. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Good question Terry, but we have been known as The Ohio State University since 1878. Maybe they just dropped it to Ohio to simplify the uniforms? My limited searching has not been of much help with concrete answers.

11. Terry O'Keefe

I know you guys are dying to hear Sark's presser comments today. Longhorns open camp!

Steve Sarkisian

"It feels like football is back. I know our team is excited and our staff is excited to get started."

"15 spring practices seems a long time ago already, but it's amazing to think of so much that we've accomplished in eight months. To crank it up into training camp and see how far we can take it with this current team that we have, it's exciting."

On QB: "I think we outlined some thing we wanted both of them to work on this summer, and both these guys have put forth the effort. I think they've both been diligent in what they've been trying to do." -- Said the quarterbacks orchestrated 16 player-led practices where coaches were not allowed to be present due to NCAA rules, and Sarkisian received positive reviews coming from those practices. -- "These guys are driven. They're focused. They're competitive. They're smart. They're talented." -- "We're going to get into training camp, and I want to give them some time to work through and show me what they're capable of doing, but at some point I've got to go with my gut." -- "I do believe we're going to need both of these guys these fall."

On the SEC: "I think it was over two weeks ago when all this started to come out, I think the job that Chris has done in getting all of the HCs here together in letting them know this is the path, this is the journey we're going to be on, I appreciate that." -- "The SEC is a tremendous football conference. There's big people, there's talented people, there's good coaches. When we get to that point, we'll worry about it." -- mentions unfinished business in the Big 12.

A right number of touches for Bijan Robinson? "If we can put a ballpark in that 18-22 range, roughly 20 touches per game, that puts us in a good position as a team and as an offense." -- Mentions there could be cases where he gets up to 30.

The theme, goal, and purpose on day one?: "I really would like to see a clean first practice, really." -- "Can we really minimize those mental errors in a day one practice, that we should had a really good understanding of what we're trying to do."

Sark: "When you take the job at the University of Texas, you're everybody's biggest game." -- Adds, "Our bullseye got a little bit bigger."

INJURY UPDATES: Gabe Watson and Ben Davis will be limited at the start of camp. "Neither of them are seriously out, but we need to monitor them early on in camp, which is important. Everyone else is good to go."

When talking LBs and in an attempt to mention Terrance Cooks, Sarkisian accidentally mentions "Terrance Brooks." You heard it, haha.

Do you have a championship roster?: "I think we're plenty talented to compete for a championship. Now what I need to recognize is, are we playing at a level to compete for a championship?" -- "I believe we have the talent and I believe we do have the depth to do it."

On speaking with recruits about the SEC: "Recruiting for us right now, you're recruiting a bit to the unknown. We haven't played a game yet. Nobody knows exactly what it's going to look like." -- Mentions he's trying to sell kids on their style of play, but they don't have any evidence in burnt orange to offer quite yet.

On Sept. 4 being around the corner: "What I do know is we're racing against the clock as a staff. As I touched on at media days, we're goin to start on Louisiana about 1.5-2 weeks before kickoff." - Says camp is about a three week window prior to UL prep.

Practice tomorrow is at 6:30 pm. Saturday at 3:30 pm. "There will be some days we practice at 9:45 in the morning."

Sarkisian is giving a great answer about mental health for athletes and coaches that is carrying on pretty long. Mentions athletes in the age of social media are hearing much more of the good and bad from fans than they ever have. "They're dealing with much more inside than maybe we gave them credit for."

Sarkisian said the team is over 90 percent vaccinated.

Sarkisian says he's a "two full scrimmage team" in training camp. Scrimmage 3 is a "mock game" working on the entire gameday experience from Friday through the final whistle.

12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

RIP Bobby Bowden.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Whoa! I always liked him for his Aw, shucks! style. He was a close friend of Lou Holtz. Rest in peace, Coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

I had a love /hate thing with him. I always felt like he ran something of an outlaw program. Not like Miami, but discipline for off the field stuff was lax.

But he was a character no doubt, that aw shucks persona made football more interesting. He was who you saw, no fake in him.

RIP.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Bowden lead FSU to 14 consecutive years of top 5 ranking in the AP poll. No other coach has more than 7.
    Doubt if that record will ever be broken.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Terry O'Keefe

I didn't know about what he did after Marshall lost their team in that terrible plane crash when Bobby was at West Virginia, that was awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

What did he do, Terry? I remember that crash.

18. Terry O'Keefe

During Bowden's first year as head coach at WVU, the football team of the state's other top-division school, Marshall University, were killed in a plane crash. He asked NCAA permission to wear Marshall jerseys and play Marshall's final game of the 1970 season against Ohio, but was denied. In memory of the victims of the crash, Mountaineers players put green crosses and the initials "MU" on their helmets. Bowden allowed Marshall's new head coach Jack Lengyel and his assistants access to game film and playbooks to acquaint themselves with the veer offense, a variation of the option offense which aids teams with weak offensive lines. Lengyel credits Bowden with helping the young Thundering Herd recover. Bowden reportedly became emotional while viewing the movie We Are Marshall, and has said that he was the original candidate for the Marshall head coaching job filled by crash victim Rick Tolley.[16]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

That’s a beautiful story. This is the first I’ve known of it. Thanks for posting.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Four-Star WR CJ Williams commits to ND!

• Winner Winner x 1