College Football Off Season.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I guess it's official now. 5 star QB Ewers (Texas) is reclassifying and will participate at Ohio State this fall. OSU football camp opens this Wednesday.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Don, it's a foregone conclusion that Ohio State verbal, Quinn Ewers is going to bypass his senior year at Texas and enroll at Ohio State early so he can start collecting NIL money. I've read that he's anticipating deals that will bring him up to 1M$. He lives in an upscale community there in the DFW area and not likely his parents are strapped for cash, but I guess it's hard to bypass that kind of money just to play another year of HS football.

Although personally I have to wonder if playing another year of full-time football at the highest level of competition in Texas isn't better for his development than sitting for at least a year behind CJ Stroud, Jake Miller and Kyle McCord ( who is a 5 star Freshman in his own right). I guess being in the Ohio State weight program, getting coached by the Ohio State staff will be beneficial even if he doesn't take a snap in a game.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Don are the Ohio State coaches happy about this? It would seem like it sort of screws up the QB a little bit with 2 5 star QB's now in the same freshman class. I imagine that will not last, somebody is going to transfer. If Stroud wins the job and has an excellent year and comes back next year are both those guys going to be happy waiting till their 3rd year on campus to have a shot at starting?

4. Terry O'Keefe

If Ewers expect close to 7 figures in NIL money, just think what this kid will get!! I've said it already that it seems inevitable that HS players will be able to get NIL money, it just makes no sense that if a college kid can get the money and still compete in the NCAA that a HS kid should be able to do so and compete in his State HS Athletic Association I do believe those entities will fight it tooth and nail though. But this kid is so high profile and given he's a Manning, he's going to make an insane amount of money.

5. Don Ballard

6. Don Ballard

It's a mixed bag of worms in my opinion. I do not see how he can compete with so little college experience. Try to line up potential QB's in the coming years will be challenging. 18 years old are now wagging their tails. Head coaches are going to be forced to make some very tough decisions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I assume this kid graduated high school? Not that that matters anymore. If he thinks he will be a millionaire at 18 on speculation then you will likely have a better chance of seeing Sasquatch in your English 101 class than this kid. I'm not picking on the Buckeyes; this is going to happen everywhere.

8. Terry O'Keefe

He was 1 course from completing the requirements for graduation at the end of the last school year, from what I gathered he completed that this summer and will be granted his HS degree. He of course could have come back and taken some courses and played this fall. His HS team would have been one of the favorites to win the State Championship in his division, which is the highest in Texas. They went to the Championship game last season and lost to an Austin High School called Westlake.

Obviously, I know nothing about this kid, but I also wouldn't assume that he will be a kid who sloughs off the academics. Southlake Carroll is a very good HS.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Talk now of ACC /SEC merger to create mini NFL.

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Well, I heard it was.just Clemson and FSU.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Seen that one as well. The merger is being suggested by Jay Bilas

12. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Might as well go all the way. Since we're one short court case from the kids being able to transfer at any time (free agents) I see no way college football survives as anything less than the mini-NFL.
    I've had my season tickets for 22 years... and I would not bet on me making 25 with the direction all this is going.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Terry O'Keefe

Bob Bowlsby and George Kliavkoff, the commissioners of the Big 12 and Pac-12 conferences, are meeting Tuesday to discuss the viability of a strategic partnership between the conferences, multiple sources confirmed to ESPN.

The meeting, which was first reported by The Athletic, does not signify an expectation for an official partnership to materialize, only that both commissioners are vetting options for how to move forward in the wake of Texas' and Oklahoma's decisions to leave the Big 12 for the SEC.

Big 12, Pac-12 discuss potential partnership

14. Terry O'Keefe

Kind of interesting, but older Texas fans are liking getting back to playing Arkansas, many say that when they went to school that Arkansas was the biggest rival after OU. Hated those piggies and their fans.

15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Ah wasn't it the old Royal vs Broyles clash?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Ohio State is getting out in front of the NIL stuff, they've announced a group NIL that will allow all the Student/Athletes who opt in to their group license deal to use the Logo/Images for Ohio State. I imagine a lot of schools will follow suit.

The Scarlet and Gray announced on Tuesday, due to the recent change in name, image and likeness rules by the NCAA, fans will now be able to not only buy Ohio State jerseys with their favorite player's number on the front and back, but also the player's name on the jersey. This comes as part of a licensing program with the Office of Trademark & Licensing Services and the Department of Athletics entered into with The Brandr Group (TBG).

According to the press release, "Ohio State student-athletes who voluntarily opt-in to a group licensing agreement with TBG will be able to use their NIL alongside and in conjunction with Ohio State’s trademarks and logos that have been licensed to Ohio State trademark licensees if TBG enters into agreements with OSU trademark licensees to do so."

Ohio State enters into group NIL licensing agreement to allow the sale of jerseys with names, numbers

18. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Does the athlete only get a cut of the jersey / memorabilia sales that include their name? Do players with the same name split the cut? Do athletes get a cut of sales that include the number they currently wear? Do players of all generations with that wore the same number split the cut? Are athletes limited to getting a cut of sales only when both the number and name specifically identify that sale as due to the athlete? Do athletes get base compensation regardless of sales, then adders when "their" stuff sells more than the others?

This is fun!! Finally, some excitement has been injected back into college sports! ;)

Although this isn't the school paying the players, isn't it really the same thing at this point?

19. Terry O'Keefe

Only thing I know is that at Ohio State the team has the players' names on the Jersey's. So they get a cut of that Jersey. If somebody buys a generic #7, no name then the current #7, last years #7, etc probably get zip, nada, nothing.:confused:

At ND, Penn State, USC and some others who have no names on Jersey's I wonder what will happen. I have a couple of Jersey's I bought when I was at a ND game, the book store didn't have 0-99 on the rack just some random numbers, I bought #7 as it was Joe Theisman's number and #3 as it was Joe Montana's number. Maybe the bookstores should have an option for you to custom order a jersey by color (home or away), the # and whatever name you want printed on it, yours or a player. If a player I guess that kid maybe gets a cut.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe