College Football Off Season.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well the recruiting dead period has been extended again, now it's May 31st. I'll bet it gets extended again. Recruits are starting to take some visits on their own but while on campus they can't interact with the staff or players. It certainly impacts ND a lot since we recruit nationally, not so much Texas which does recruit nationally more that it did in the past but still the bulk of the targets all live within driving distance of campus so it's not as much of a barrier for them to make their own trip campus to look around.

Also I see that as AJ predicted that Neb/Illinois game will not be played in Ireland. It will be played at Illinois, traveling to Ireland under the current virus situation is just too risky.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Dan Mullen had a Zoom interview and talked about a lot of stuff including his future.

"I'll address it this way: I think a lot of people are trying to figure out what the future of college football is going to hold and what that's going to look like going forward," he said. "I love being here at the University of Florida. I think we have a great program. We have a great fan base, great history, the opportunity to be a championship program every single year.

"I think there are concerns with coaches [regarding] what the future of college football is going to look like. ... I think there's a lot of uncertainty that we're trying to figure out right now to see what our futures are going to hold.

Mullen focused on Florida amid college concerns

3. Terry O'Keefe

Also Florida has canceled it's Spring game. I wonder if a lot of schools will do that or at the very least not allow fans other than family in the stadium. That would make a lot of sense to me, they could still end Spring Drills with a game/scrimmage but not bother with the expense of having fans at the game.

4. Terry O'Keefe

kp what happened with Ben Davis? I see he's in the portal, he was a highly rated 5 star, the #1 rated ILB in his class. The Irish worked very hard recruiting him even though he was probably never going to choose the Irish given his Alabama ties. But he's really done nothing at Alabama, was he injury prone or just one of those 5 stars that never panned out?

5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, he just got overtaken by other linebackers. He got some playing time but just never was able to break into the starting rotation, which is a little surprising because last year we had 2 starting LB's out for the season and he still couldn't break through. I don't think he had injury problems. I think he has graduated so that's a good thing.

6. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Five star rated HS players do not always guarantee success in college. Same for Heisman winners when they turn pro.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Terry O'Keefe

I see that the AFCA is going to try and reign in "fake" injuries. Which are likely to be on the defense trying to slow down a hot offense without using a timeout. That's going to be a tall order, if a kid goes down you have to respect that and get him attention, he's out for a play and then can come back. They are talking about making him miss a series.

Last year, the NCAA rules committee met in person and spent multiple days discussing the topic of faking injuries. Steve Shaw, who serves as the secretary-rules editor of the NCAA football rules committee in addition to his role as national coordinator of officials, described the debate as vigorous at the time.

Hoping to avoid a rule that would inevitably punish legitimate injuries as well as fake ones, the rules committee decided to let it be known among coaches and administrators that it was prepared to act if those in the sport didn't move to stop the practice of faking injuries immediately. A tape of questionable injuries was sent to all FBS programs as a quasi warning.

"We did not eliminate the feigning injuries," Shaw said. "Even if you just watched the bowl season, you saw some peculiar actions."

Berry said that while they saw some decline in the number of questionable injuries, it wasn't nearly enough, adding that "any of it is bad."

"It's time," Berry said. "... There needs to be a harsh deterrent."

What that exact deterrent is remains to be seen. One potential option, Berry said, would require an injured player to miss the remainder of the series. Coaches would be able to use a timeout in order to "buy" that player back into the game right away.

• Like Like x 2
  8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Another highly rated linebacker transferring from Alabama. Alex Kayo.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

The long standing tradition of having a player for four years is long gone. Everyone wants to play immediately and the youngsters now want to play right away. I can not blame them for wanting immediate playing time, but it sure is difficult for the coaches. As we have all discussed previously the good ole days of college sports is gone forever.:(

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Don, Kaho was actually at Alabama for 3 years and he played quite a lot. I just.don't think he ever started. I'm not sure why he is transferring.

11. Terry O'Keefe

He must have looked at the roster and decided it wasn't likely that his role was going to change and with the freebie year in 2020 he can go some where else and have an easier path to a starting job for 2 years if needed to get noticed by the NFL. Right now since it looks like he was a special teams player and a backup LB he'd be a UDFA in the NFL draft. If he can get on the field someplace and play big time minutes and achieve what he no doubt thinks he can then maybe he could move into being a player who gets drafted.

I'm not sure it's a high % of players who transfer and their careers take off, some do that's for sure, but a lot of them end up in the same situation, backups. Justin Fields would be a case of his career taking off. But Tate Martell who was highly rated, is one who the transfer did nothing for him. In fact I think he changed positions at Miami from QB to either WR or RB I forget which and it wasn't as a starter either.

12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah Terry, Mac Jones stuck with Alabama, did very well, and will get.at.least one lucrative contract and a shot at the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Terry O'Keefe

Think of some of the highly rated QB's who came and left. Blake Barnett for one, who's he now? Noboby.

Mac is an example of what Don is talking about, a player who stays and works and waits his turn.

Here is the Rivals list of Pro-style QB's from the 2017 class which Mac was rated #18. Only one ahead of him that panned out in college was Jake Fromm who was a really good but not great college QB. But he did get drafted. I recognize some of the names but no big stars.

But truthfully it's tough to win if you are banking on QB's who are 3 stars coming out of HS, for every Mac Jones there are tons that are just that 3 star college players as well. You really need that elite level QB play and you either hit on it with a 5 star like Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields or you are fortunate to have a lesser known kid develop into an elite QB. I'd rather take my chances with those top rated QB's.

2017 Top Pro-Style Quarterback Recruits

14. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, I hear what you're saying but I don't recognize many of the names.on that site, other than Jones? Do you?

15. Terry O'Keefe

Nope, but they were all highly thought of coming out of HS.

16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

But those assessments turned out to be wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Holy Cow the Gators have a 434lb freshman DT.

18. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

You can be too big.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

So why or why would a HS team named the Irish choose that helmet? :eek::mad:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Sick sense of humor?

• Agree Agree x 1