College Football Off Season.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 4, 2021.

1. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

At this point, what is the difference between a hypothetical minor league and CFB? How many more schools are going to be opting out, similar to the Ivy of years ago?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Yep, this will cull it down to the bigger schools who can afford it, and those that just can't will have to drop div 1.
    Can't wait to see how Title IX will get involved too.
    o_O

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Whatever increased benefits that football and basketball players will have to filter down to Women's archery and rowing that's for sure. I can imagine that it won't be a big problem for major conference schools esp the SEC and Big 10 schools, their networks generate so much money for those schools. B12 and Pac10 not so much.

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Can schools just offer pay and no scholarships?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Pac12 Ath Directors changing football, going to 8 conference games and no divisions.

Pac-12 athletic directors and incoming commissioner George Kliavkoff have engaged in preliminary discussions about significant changes to the structure of the football season as expansion of the College Football Playoff appears inevitable.

Potential changes are months if not years away, but they include the elimination of divisions and the reduction in the number of conference games from nine to eight.

Pac-12 considers overhaul to football schedule as CFP expansion looms

6. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Since Scholarships are tax free, they're a better deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Former ND player Brandon Wimbush highlighted in this article on the recent Supreme Court decision. Of course that Miami game that he talks about was a complete bust for him as a QB and the beginning of the end of his career at ND as a QB. Maybe he'd had to have reimbursed all those who paid him money before the game! :eek:

As Brandon Wimbush sees it, his earnings power should have peaked in November 2017: ESPN used an image of him all week in onscreen promotions of a football showdown between Notre Dame and Miami, but Notre Dame’s then-starting quarterback didn’t see a dime from 65,303 tickets sold or the millions of dollars ESPN parent Walt Disney Co. pays for broadcast rights.

Soon, Wimbush’s start-up, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.-based MOGL Corp., may begin to change that, thanks to laws working through state legislatures and Congress, and also to the unanimous Supreme Court decision on Monday that ruled against the NCAA in an antitrust case limiting the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s rights to bar college athletes from getting paid.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/21/sup...ion-how-college-athletes-plan-to-cash-in.html

8. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

So do these new rules mean the schools can't use the kid's likeness?

9. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I've read a little about the decision. The following two excerpts are are taken from one commentary:

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

You're right, Gipper but for a significant portion of these kids the scholarship is not the enticement. Its the exposure on the way to the NFL. This idea has been considered for years and now it appears it will take hold. Personally, I think it will ruin the game; money always does. As Kes said, the NCAA is now the minor leagues of pro football. School pride and allegiances will suffer; the mega powers will completely separate from the other 99.8% and ticket prices will soar as will your cable or streaming charge at home. I believe you will see the day of union representation, contract negotiations and even player agents
    ( legitimately ) early in their college career. Maybe holdouts and player strikes too. It is the natural consequence of injecting money officially into an amateur game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I wonder if athletes will be taxed on the value of their scholarships as well as the income they generate from other sources?

12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I don't think so, Kyle. I'm neither a lawyer nor an accountant, but I'm aware of the traditionally favorable tax treatment of educational expenses, especially those paid directly. One example is that directly paid educational expenses in the form of gifts are non-taxable to the student/recipients. I can't imagine that the IRS or whatever taxing authority making those decisions would change that practice or the non-taxability of academic or athletic scholarships. Of course, I've been wrong before. Once, in 1971. :D

13. Terry O'Keefe

They don't get taxed on the value of their scholarships, nor to regular students who are on full or partial scholarship. But they will absolutely get taxed on any income from the Name, Image and Likeness deals that they make.

They have been getting extra money for several years now for extra expenses related to academics. I think this is where that Court decision comes in, the NCAA has limited the compensation and now anything that is deemed related to academics can be paid for by the school. That also isn't likely to be taxable.

14. Terry O'Keefe

I think about Oklahoma as a candidate for a team that lost a couple of games early then Rattler figured it out and they ran through the rest of the season and their bowl game. Maybe in a 12 team playoff they make it to the title game, maybe not, but they were clearly a much better team at the end of the season than after September.

15. WSU1996kesley

deleted, kp previously posted

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. WSU1996kesley

Oops, sorry, I didn't see your posting of it!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Re: taxation (for possible future reference re: NIL income). In 2020, the minimum threshold for filing a Federal income tax return was $12,400.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

From reading about the NIL I get the impression that most of the high-profile kids are expecting to make much more than that. But I would also expect that many NCAA athletes won't make much and probably not meet that 12,400.

20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I believe that if they make more than $600 in a quarter they have to pay FICA.