College Football Off Season - 2020.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Ivy League just cancelled all Spring Sports.

2. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

At this point, the nation either accepts the consequences of leading their lives "normally", meaning 50%+ get the virus and 98%+ recover, or severe changes are made to public gatherings, which could potentially curb the spread.

Cancelling practices/games/classes doesn't do any good if the kids end up gathering on the quad, or mob vacationing on an extended Spring Break.

I was hopeful that figurative walls would be able to be put up around potential cases, but with the extended incubation period, and numerous stories of asymptomatic individuals breaking self-quarantine on a whim, I am no longer as hopeful.

Although this virus isn't statistically deadly, it seems to spread with magical alacrity. So much so, that bad actors would easily find it possible to thwart even the best official efforts (federal, regional, local, organizational) to isolate cases.

• Like Like x 1
  3. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

sadly, I am one of those people with a severely compromised immune system, so I am trying to be more careful. Getting my family fully on board with this could be another matter. Even being careful, I have a 5 year old and a 20 year old who works extensively with the general public between semesters. They bring home bugs all the time. I guess it's just a roll of the dice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WSU1996kesley

That actually is one of the vectors I am interested in learning about. Kids and school are natural incubators/transmitters of all sorts of microscopic lifeforms. Although this particular virus seems to have very little impact on the kids, I haven't heard definitively if they are still potential communal carriers or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

I won't be surprised when schools cancel spring football practice since they aren't allowing students back on campus, why make exception for football players. Texas just extended Spring Break by a week and is seemingly gearing up for online only. They also are not allowing fans for any spring sports event. I have to think canceling all remaining spring sports events is not far behind. Travel and staying in hotels and all, what happens when one player on the baseball team gets Covid-19 after a 3 game set with say TCU in Ft. Worth?

Kes with regards to kids, this is going to be a tough one. So far kids have not been seemingly impacted much by this, but it doesn't mean they won't be in time. Also so many dual income parents who depend on elementary schools to be their baby sitters for their kids, what happens if they close the schools? It will impact poor and minorities more than others and that won't be a good thing.

6. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

This is really a fine mess....
    No March Madness is a definite possibility if it hasn't happened as I write this.... conference tournaments being cancelled may just do it. Can't imagine a March with no Madness.....

7. Terry O'Keefe

When is UF supposed to start Spring Football? Has UF closed their campus to students like many have done? Texas has not taken that step yet, but they did extend Spring Break for a week. No doubt to allow them time to come up with their plan. It's one thing for Harvard to tell students they have 5 days to get out of their dorms, but at Texas I don't know how many kids live in on campus dorms but I'd wager it's more than the entire student population of Notre Dame or Harvard, then there are the off campus private dorms.

8. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Ohio State has cancelled the Spring Game!

9. WSU1996kesley

All Pac-12 sports have been cancelled until further notice.

10. WSU1996kesley

T, sorry to hijack your topic, but in response to this quote, the Utah Jazz have their second likely positive. Once one person on a team is confirmed, it's quite likely more on the team will eventually be confirmed. Unfortunately, this thing can be transmitted very early, up to a week before symptoms appear. So, by the time you are confirmed, how many people have you passed shared it with?

I don't see how the tournament doesn't get cancelled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Don Ballard

These are most unusual circumstances and I can not disagree with the decisions being made across the country. I tend to believe we will survive!:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

I do wonder what the NCAA will do for football? Will they allow coaches to supervise summer workouts rather than just observe from their office?

13. Terry O'Keefe

Longhorn Spring Football practice is on hold for now, it was scheduled to start March 24th. But the University has shutdown and set a date of March 30th to resume. Who knows if that will actually take place though.

Not sure what the NCAA is going to do with this football practice. Nothing has been said. Clemson got in 9 practices before they shut it down, Texas has zero, and Notre Dame has 1. It would seem like they are going to have to make some accommodation whether it be opening August drills earlier or allowing a June practice if the Covid-19 situation would allow.

14. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

LSU is still practicing?

15. Terry O'Keefe

No LSU, like all SEC teams, have had to suspend spring football practice. They had held 3 practices before the SEC shut everybody down.

16. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

17. Terry O'Keefe

Wow I thought the SEC called it off for everyone. They better hope they don't have a single case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

Kes is watching basketball, I've got a lot ND games on my directv machines. Watched the Virgina Tech/ND game which was right after the Michigan debacle. It was better watching it knowing that we won in the end but I got to thinking, I wonder if Ian Book makes the cuts needed on his TD run to win the game as time was running out, if we'd had a grass field? The week before the Midwest was inundated with rain that could have lead to a somewhat slippery field even though it wasn't raining at the time of Books play to win the game.

19. Don Ballard

Buckeyes are off to a great recruiting effort for 2021! However, I am beginning to wonder if we will ever seen another game in the Horse Shoe with the Caronavirus? I do not think we have truly seen the extent of this deadly virus. I pray that I am wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Recruiting has been very good for a long time for Ohio State, JT brought in some great classes and Urban took it to another level. Urban was known to be a relentless recruiter, demanded that his staff be relentless as well. Not to mention his success gave him a lot to sell to potential recruits. It's the same thing that has made Dabo do so well and Saban as well. On the other hand at ND, where recruiting has been good but not great many feel that Kelly has been lax, has not demanded the same level of effort that you see from Ohio State, Clemson and Alabama amongst others. 2021 for the Irish is off to a good start, but I still wonder if Kelly has the same level of commitment to the process as Ryan Day, Dabo and Saban. He can hide behind academics only so much, at some point it's not about the restrictions you work under but how hard you work.