College Football Off Season - 2020.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

There are so many names out there that have potential to offend at least a few people. The Braves say they are not changing their name, I doubt if Fla State changes their name, and I think they are endorsed by the Seminole Nation.

But if you are talking about the "Fighting Irish" and this article. That guy is a mob of 1 just trying to stir up trouble and make a name for himself.

Calls for Notre Dame to Ditch 'Fighting Irish' Nickname Commence

2. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Yeah... greatest moments is way to subjective to pick one as better than all others.

3. Terry O'Keefe

As far as nick names, I wonder about Ole Miss. They got rid of Col Reb awhile ago and had a Black Bear as their mascot and now it's Tony the Landshark. But they are still the Rebels. UNLV was also the Rebels and they are reportedly looking into changing that, I don't think they have made any decision though.

I am not sure where Notre Dame is going, they have a big campaign that talks about the things that students and staff do to make the world a better place and usually end it with we are "Fighting" for whatever they were emphasizing in the promo. Years ago they modified the Leprechaun and took away his pipe as a nod to the antismoking campaign much like Arizona took away Wilbur the Wildcat's pistols.

Gators aren't going to do the Gator Chomp sign anymore.

Crazy times.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Northwestern/Wisconsin scheduled for Wrigley Field, will now be played at Northwestern's home field.

5. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I couldn't agree more Tim. There has to be an end to some of this off the wall stuff.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Ivy League just cancelled all Fall Sports, and Hockey and Basketball can't start till after Jan 1. They will allow the teams to have workouts/training.

7. Gator Bill

And you tick me off completely. Get this straight if you want to discuss sports without politics then this forum is the one to do it on. If you want to constantly contribute your political philosophy then take it to the Back Room. It apparently doesn't matter to you that a lot of people have you on ignore because of your actions and refusal to listen to others trying to tell you to quit pushing the envelope.

So I am deleting all your posts in this topic except this one quoted and telling you that if you can't talk sports without your political view we can take other steps. Please don't make that necssary.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

J.T. Daniels granted immediate eligibility at Georgia, why I have no idea. Georgia has that grad transfer from Wake Forrest who I bet is more than a little pissed. No doubt he was penciling himself in as the starter, he was a good QB at Wake Forrest. But J.T. Daniels if he is 100% healthy is a 5 star QB with a lot of arm talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

This one hurts in Austin. Longhorn legacies, Tommy and James Brockermeyer top rated OL in the class of 2021, shun Texas for Alabama. This is the comment by a Longhorn recruiting guru.

Tommy Brockermeyer, a five-star offensive tackle, and James Brockermeyer, a four-star center prospect, committed to Alabama today over mutual finalists of Auburn, LSU, and Texas.

Tommy and James, the brothers of current UT linebacker Luke Brockermeyer, the sons of former Texas All-American Blake Brockermeyer, and the grandsons of former Texas offensive lineman Kay Brockermeyer chose Alabama over a school they have deep familial connections with.

Why?

Both are highly-rated and have legitimate dreams to get to the NFL, but especially so for Tommy. He’s a 6-foot-6, 280-pound tackle with five stars to his name.

Since Blake was drafted by the Panthers in the first round of the 1995 NFL Draft, 11 Longhorn offensive linemen have been selected in the NFL Draft.

Alabama had over 11 offensive linemen selected in the NFL Draft in the *last decade*.

The rationale behind what was a business decision is abundantly clear. Like any... *any* offensive lineman recruit, they want to see evidence they’ll be developed and utilized. Texas’ 7-5 regular season record including disappointing offensive line sputterings versus Oklahoma, Baylor, and Iowa State assuredly are part of it.

Tom Herman and Herb Hand did not do enough on the field last season to convince Tommy and James that Texas was the place for them.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Longhorns 3rd in B12 Media Poll

Oklahoma was chosen to finish first for the fifth consecutive year in the Big 12 football preseason poll, voted on by media representatives.

This year marks the eighth since 2011 in which the Sooners topped the preseason rankings. They have captured a Big 12-record 13 league titles, including the last five.

OU garnered 80 of the 90 first-place selections while Oklahoma State was picked second with six first-place votes and Texas was third with four first-place nods. Iowa State and Baylor rounded out the top five. TCU was selected sixth followed by Kansas State, West Virginia, Texas Tech and Kansas. The top two finishers in the league standings will compete in the Big 12 Football Championship Game to determine the Conference title. The game is scheduled for Saturday, December 5 in AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

2020 Big 12 Football Media Preseason Poll
    1. Oklahoma (80) 888
    2. Oklahoma State (6) 742
    3. Texas (4) 727
    4. Iowa State 607
    5. Baylor 489
    6. TCU 477
    7. Kansas State 366
    8. West Virginia 287
    9. Texas Tech 267
    10. Kansas 100

11. Gator Bill

Alabama pretty much gets whoever they want these days.

They have a great organization and system going right now that makes it very hard to beat them on the field or in recruiting. Happens to the Gators every year.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Read some articles on The Athletic. One of them was on Alabama freshman QB, Bryce Young, a lot of high praise one opposing coach said as a HS player he was as good as Tua and they also compared him to Baker Mayfield and Johnny Manziel. He's not a big kid, he's only 6' 190. So not exactly a classic QB who are usually 6'3 ot 6'5. But it is college football where the offenses are different and I don't think size is quite the factor that it might be in the NFL.

On the recruiting front, Alabama has zoomed up the ladder, last month they weren't even in the top 25 and now they are #2 in the 247 composite, right behind Ohio State. The verbals of the Longhorn legacies in the Brockmeyer twins was a big reason why they zoomed up. According to 247 they have the top OL class in the country.

13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Right now, I am really happy with the status of.the.OL. I think if our.LBs come up to speed, the future is bright for Alabama.

14. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Buckeyes begin walk through drills with coaches today. Season camp is scheduled to commence August 7th. I am keep my fingers crossed!o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Don, I really don't think we will have football this fall. I hope I'm wrong.

16. Don Ballard

17. Don Ballard

kp, I hope you are wrong too!:)

18. Terry O'Keefe

I don't think it will start labor day weekend. Mid to late September.

It's being speculated that the Irish will be ACC members for this season and be eligible for the ACC Championship game. The ACC will do away with divisions and allow 1 non - conference game so that Clemson can play South Carolina, Georgia play Georgia Tech, FSU play UF, etc. Irish will need to decide between Arkansas and Navy

19. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 3