College Football Off Season - 2020.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

You did lose some great ones, but you have Waddle and DeVonta Smith coming back and both of them are in the top 15 of his list. Harris is also on that list.

It does seem that the game has evolved at the CFP level to where you almost have to have an "elite" level of QB to win it all. Jones no doubt could evolve into a elite level of QB, maybe he has a Joe Burrow breakout type of season.

2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I am more encouraged each day with the real possibility we will be watching college football this fall. A number of variables wil dictate what happens. Players coming down with covid 19 could holt the whole season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I don't think Jones has Burrow type of ability but he is good. I still think defense wins championships

4. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

An elite QB makes life much easier, but a good QB in a system he understands can do the job if he has the talent around him to execute it.
    Never hurts to have a top notch defense either. :)

5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah if you don't have a great.defense, then you definitely need an explosive qb and offense.

6. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Well for the record kp I am proud of Bama and wish my Gators had done better.

Even if the differences are small. :)

And besides Bama has a whole lot to be proud of, I imagine most of us here are very envious of Bama and their excellence on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Thanks Bill. I think Saban is trying to make a difference.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

NCAA extended the recruiting dead period for all sports, again. July 31st is the new date.

Impacts all the sports a little differently and of course it impacts the kids as they would ordinarily be taking official visits which for some are critical to making their decision esp if they are considering schools out of state.

9. Don Ballard

With all of variables we are facing for this college football season, another thought came to my mind. Will ESPN and other streaming services, who will televise games this fall attempt to charge viewers for the games? That would really upset me if that were to come to pass!:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Well the biggest fish in the Transfer Portal, J.T. Daniels a former 5 Star QB who started at USC as a true freshman and got injured last year and was sort of Wally Pipped by Kedon Slovis, will be a Georgia Bulldog. He'll sit out 2020. Dawgs are likely to start a grad transfer from Wake Forrest this year, and then a transfer in Daniels in 2021. They have a 5 star QB in Brock Vandargriff coming in 2021, so if he was thinking of starting as a true freshman, and they all think that, I wonder if he'll keep his commitment or look elsewhere. They also have a 4 Star QB in Carson Beck who enrolled early this January. I'm thinking somebody is going to transfer!!

11. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

That's interesting Terry. The Gators offered Beck and then he committed to Georgia. He later said he wanted the Gator offer in order to get Georgia to offer him. I doubt seriously we would pursue him again. And he went to the same high school in Jacksonville that two of my grandsons attended. But the QB that we got after he committed to Georgia is a better fit for the Gators in my opinion.

12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Johnny Majors died. Great player at Tennessee and a very good coach.

13. Terry O'Keefe

RIP Johnny Majors. Won a big Nat'l Championship at Pitt with an incredibly talented team including Tony Dorsett.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Oklahoma State is reporting several players testing positive as the players return to campus to start workouts. This is likely to be the scenario all across college football.

15. Don Ballard

I am afraid this is going to be a major stumbling block to college football this season!:(

16. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

So was it just the positive players not reporting, or all of them?
    This isn't that hard. You quarantine those who are positive, and they join the team when they are cleared.
    Cripes... especially for players... they are at no more risk now than they were 6 months ago!!
    :mad:

17. Don Ballard

18. Terry O'Keefe

Texas sets plan for restart as well Don. I've heard that we're looking at 25% capacity for football.

Fall 2020 Planning Update | June 3

19. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Phil Fulmer always irritated me.... and this is a major reason why:
    "But just before the 1992 season, he underwent quintuple heart bypass surgery, and his offensive coordinator, Phillip Fulmer, was named interim coach while Majors recovered. ... “The University of Tennessee jerked the rug out from under me,” Majors said at the time"

20. Terry O'Keefe

Some FSU players called out their new HC on his response to the George Floyd issue.

Florida State star defensive lineman Marvin Wilson said he and his teammates will not be working out until further notice because they are “outraged” at how first-year coach Mike Norvell has handled conversations about George Floyd’s death.

On Tuesday evening, Norvell told The Athletic that he has “had a lot of open communication with our team, our players and our coaches” and that he “went back and forth individually with every player this weekend.”

Wilson responded early Thursday morning on Twitter and said those conversations did not happen.

“We got a generated text that was sent to everybody,” said Wilson, a potential first-round NFL draft pick who chose to return to FSU for his senior season. “There was no one on one talk between us and coach. This is a lie and me and my teammates as a whole are outraged and we will not be working out until further notice.”

FSU star Marvin Wilson: Team won’t work out because Mike Norvell lied about George Floyd talks with team