College Football Off Season - 2020.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

A.J. it's good to just talk football once again right?;)

2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I see that Alabama football had an APR of 990. That is the 7th highest in the country. Tied with Stanford. Not too bad

• Like Like x 2
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

With all the resources that the big time Power 5 programs put into academic support for their players there really isn't any excuse for not having a good record for your players...unless of course they just won't don't anything to help themselves. Can't help those who won't help themselves.

4. Don Ballard

Buckeye Football players came in third in the Big Ten Conference with a 985 score. Northwestern was first, no surprise Wisconsin was second. I did not see any mention of Michigan? I think most colleges are doing a much better job now of recruiting good students.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Irish had a mediocre football APR, 970. So I'm not exactly sure why the Irish didn't do a bit better. We had a player who was held out of football but speculation was that it was a behavioral thing not that he was flunking out. Texas was 974 and Texas A&M was 965.

Link is to the full report, sorted by conference.

From the NCAA, the APR is calculated as follows:

• Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible.
    • A team’s total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by 1,000 to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate.

2020 NCAA Academic Progress Rate: Football APR Rankings By Conference

6. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Terry are then still counting transfers against you? Didnt see anything about that. If they go forward with liberal transfer allowances that will be a killer.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Scott beyond what I posted on the process, I don't know how a transfer counts. ND had a player quit the team in 2019 in the middle of the season. But he finished out the academic semester, but didn't enroll for the Spring semester. So I assume that was lost points if staying in school means both semesters. It is interesting that when you look at the sports that post 1,000..perfect score. It's almost exclusively the non-revenue sports.

If you make an assumption that a team is at full scholarship of 85 and you get a max of 2 points per player (1 point stay in school, 1 point remaining eligible). Then a perfect score is 170 points.

So a 970 is 165 points ...so 5 players not making grades would get you there, or 3 players not making grades and 1 player leaving after flunking the semester.

A 990 is `168 points ...so 2 players not making grades or 1 player leaving after flunking out.

Not a huge difference.

8. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Imagine 4-8 players hitting the portal each season because they aren't playing...
    That might be high, but certainly possible.
    Transfer at will could wreck your score, and cost you a scholarship here and there.

9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Come on guys! Just when Alabama makes.it to the top 10, now it's not a big difference?

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Texas has announced their plan for the fall, will open for classes on campus Aug 26th and finish before Thanksgiving. Nothing yet on sports, but I suspect the entire college football world will be returning to campus sometime in June for workouts in some form or fashion with things ramping up to full team activities early July and fall camps in August. Of course things can change and they are going to have to figure out the whole testing of everybody on the team and the frequency and also what to do if somebody tests positive. Most of the pro sports are now saying that a positive test won't shut everything down. Multiple tests positive..different story probably

11. Don Ballard

Undoubtedly there will be many hurdles to overcome this fall. Safety of the players must come first, games without spectators or very limited spectators, will be a tremendous loss of valuable revenue. Flipping games or trying to reschedule games could be a nightmare. I doubt we will travel to Oregon for our scheduled third game. Obstacles will be floating around every turn.:(

12. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

It will probably doom the "payoff" games between smaller conferences and the Power 5.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

We're not quite there yet Don, so I'm just warming up, Staying in shape. But remember I said this: Hey, do you hear that? Hear what? Sounds like a train coming....

• Like Like x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

I see that Ryan Leaf was arrested for domestic battery.

Everybody knows his story, one bad decision after another, NFL failure, drug issues, did some time but had seemingly turned things around. Was speaking to athletes about all he did wrong, was hired by ESPNU and I heard him on their show he was good.

Now he's likely to be fired.

15. Terry O'Keefe

Michigan President says no football if students aren't back on campus. Many schools are however making plans to open in August with students on campus. Neither UM or Mich State have announced plans for the fall semester.

University of Michigan president: No college football in fall if students aren't on campus

16. Terry O'Keefe

LSU baseball coach fears the economic impact of the virus will result in as many as 100 college baseball programs being dropped due to loss of revenue from Football.

As coronavirus takes toll on college baseball, LSU's Paul Mainieri worries about the future

17. Terry O'Keefe

I'll be shocked if the ND/Navy game is played in Ireland as scheduled. It seems to me that the only reason that it hasn't been canceled as yet probably has to do with contracts. If ND/Navy pull out of the game there probably is language that takes that into account and money is probably owed. So I'm guessing a lot of behind the scenes talk about this has gone on, it's a big money maker for Dublin. Lots of American tourists, filling up hotels, restaurants, bars, buying stuff, etc.

Decision expected next week on staging of College Football game in August

18. Terry O'Keefe

Pac12 has said football workouts can start June 15th. Lincoln Riley continues to be very cautious, he won't have Oklahoma workouts till July 1.

19. Terry O'Keefe

McShay has a way too early list of the top players for the 2021 NFL draft. That list is dominated by Alabama, with 5 players. No secret to why Alabama is in the mix every year, they just have a lot of great players.

Ohio State has 3 on the list, and LSU,Clemson,Penn State and Oregon all have 2 players.

With so many NFL ready players, the only thing that could hold them back from another title is QB play. It's also the thing that will give Clemson and Ohio State a shot, QB play.

McShay's way-too-early top 32 prospects for the 2021 NFL draft

20. kp

kp Well-Known Member

A great.defense at Alabama could be the equalizer. Jones is not bad and we have Najee Harris coming back. Wide receivers is another question mark though. We lost 3 great ones.