College Football Fall Camp

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

If the Power 4 + some independents break away from the NCAA I wonder if they will enlarge the coaching staffs? Most teams already have larger than ever groups of analysts, and it's gotten some of them in trouble when they get caught actually helping to coach on the field.

I do think they could add 1 more to the staff, most teams could use that extra person as a lot of them have a special teams coach that also coaches another position. I would like to see them add that extra coach.

2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Terry I have not seen anything in print, but I know we are 100% of the players being vaccinated.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

There is supposed to be some sort of announcement regarding the "Alliance" this afternoon. What are the odds that anything significant will be released?

The alliance between the ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 will be announced at 2 p.m. ET Tuesday, sources told ESPN.

The three leagues are expected to emphasize "common values" and unanimous support impacting key topics affecting college athletes and schools in all sports. Sources say the Pac-12 has been the most aggressive of the three leagues in forming and encouraging the alliance.

4. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I'd bet on it being just a TV deal. Those three will play more "Marquee" games to get more $$$ out of their next contract.
    I expect them to also unite against the playoff expansion.

5. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Terry O'Keefe

This article is about a survey on College Mascots. It's actually pretty funny IMHO.

Purdue Pete was ranked as the creepiest mascot.

Purdue mascot also gets negative rank
    No matter what Purdue Pete does, he can't get away from his eerie, disturbing appearance. He can't even smile at the kids whose parents say are scared by him. His face is set in an eternal scowl. His eyes are huge and empty. His face, a monster size version of a ventriloquist dummy.

Purdue has tried for decades to reincarnate Pete — this is his seventh revamp — yet he always comes out looking pretty much the same.

Creepy. So creepy that Purdue Pete was named the creepiest mascot in America in the survey. Purdue Pete also landed the second-worst mascot in the nation,

The Notre Dame Leprechaun is the 4th most offensive mascot.

Notre Dame's Fighting Irish leprechaun is the fourth-most offensive college football mascot in the nation, according to a new survey. The top three most offensive mascots, th
    e survey says, wear face paint, headdresses and are culturally insensitive to Native Americans.

Notre Dame defends Fighting Irish leprechaun mascot, ranked offensive

College Mascots: The Best, Worst, and Sexiest

7. Terry O'Keefe

Pac 12 is going to do something about expansion this week, reported by Football Scoop.

Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor and Oklahoma State are reportedly working in lock step to plan their next steps together, and it's no secret that those four would jump at a Pac-12 offer. In the event some or all go West, the remaining members can move forward knowing where they stand in the college athletics hierarchy.

Pac-12 to reportedly decide on expansion this week

8. Stu Ryckman

I would point out that our mascot is the Boilermaker Special...not Purdue Pete.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Stu Ryckman

PS...just look at those "10 best mascots"...whoever picked them probably still sleeps with his stuffed animal toys from childhood.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Scott88

What would those 4 bring to the PAC? Not much...
    None are an academic fit, and they also don't have much in the way of big TV draw.
    Tech does have a big alumni base, being one of the larger schools in the state.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

Hey Scott, I see you guys have a named the starter.

12. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Scott88

Terry, not really surprised. He was first off the bench last year. There's no doubt King is the more athletic guy. We'll see how his decision making looks. That's Jimbo's big thing. If the kid makes a mistake, and can't explain what happened, he won't be #1 very long.

14. Terry O'Keefe

I was thinking that with your OL being so young this season he went with the guy with the best wheels to escape and run for his life! :D

15. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Well at least the Gators are not on the worst list.

But they are on my Great list.

Miss not going to the games.

16. Terry O'Keefe

Apparently there is talk that because of covid and the Transfer Portal the NCAA is thinking of allowing an extra scholarship for every player you lose to the transfer portal.

I find that interesting. I heard Lincoln Riley say last week that the transfer portal was reducing the opportunities for high school players. That he and other coaches look at the portal as part of their recruiting and in many cases would rather take a player out of the portal than a high school player.

This could really benefit the Irish, as we've lost a bunch of players to the portal and we aren't players in the undergrad transfer market so being able to take a few extra high school players would be terrific. IMHO>

The article linked is about LSU and Coach O's reaction to this rumor.

In the new age of the NCAA transfer portal, the trickle down effect has impacted every stage of college football, including recruiting and roster size. Last week, Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger reported that the NCAA is moving towards a one-year waiver that would expand the number of recruits allowed in the 2022 recruiting class.

What the NCAA is now deliberating is that for every transfer out of a program, the program gets an additional scholarship to replace that player who left.

17. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah I.heard about that. I don't like it, but it will probably benefit Alabama. We lose a lot to.transfers, so having a bigger recruiting class will help.

18. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Just what we need a new rule that benefits Alabama. :)

Just kidding of course.

I wonder if they would get one for every player lost, or would it be net, lost minus gained?

And what about schools that get more coming in than going out?

19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Bill, I understand. What I meant is that we will lose a lot to the transfer portal, but if our recruiting classes can expand we will benefit. We recruit well so 30 is is better than 25 so that is how I think it will help the teams with the top recruiting classes.

20. Terry O'Keefe

While there is no official announcement as yet, those in the "know" say that RS Freshman Hudson Card will be the starter at QB for the Longhorns on Sept 4th.

From Bobby Burton.

With less than 10 days until kickoff, it is all but a foregone conclusion that Hudson Card will be named the starter at quarterback for the Horns in the opener against Louisiana.

Card, as Inside Texas was first to report, started taking first-team reps at QB following the first scrimmage of pre-season camp. During that scrimmage, Casey Thompson threw two poor interceptions, while Card protected the ball better and led the offense’s most impressive drive of the day.

Of course, despite being younger, Card is also considered to have a higher ceiling than Thompson.

But none of those facts will matter come Sept. 4.

We’re to the point of pre-season camp where the focus turns almost exclusively to wins and losses. As it should.

So it no longer really matters much who is “looking good” in camp. It matters most if that player can help the Horns win on a given Saturday this season.

Current expected weather for the opener for the 3pm kick is 99-degrees with 39-percent humidity and 5-6mph wind.

Wear a hat and hydrate (with your beverage of choice)!