College Football 2023

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I got an email saying they are separating the 12th Man Foundation from Collective blah blah blah. I didn't read it all since they have enough of my money without me adding to that NIL BS.
    I really have no idea how they are proceeding, and don't care to find out.
    o_O

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I forgot that we are going to have a running clock after 1st downs this year. Lot of pressure is on the games being shorter, driven by programming needs.

I am sure that I will get used to it, but it was one of the rules I like better than the NFL, along with only needing 1 foot down for receivers to be in bounds.

3. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I suspect that we'll see the ball spiked more often now that first downs do not stop the clock. The linesmen better be in shape for those hurry up offensive plays.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Terry O'Keefe

uh oh...P J Fleck might be in some trouble. Might need that row boat.

Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck, an assistant at Rutgers from 2010-11, is facing serious allegations of a toxic and intimidating culture from former players and staff within the Gophers program.

Former players and staff spoke to A.J. Perez of Front Office Sports under conditions of anonymity for fear of retaliation. Among the accusations, players reported feeling like they were in a “cult,” having to clap each time Fleck entered the locker room and abide by a system called the “Fleck Bank.”

Ex-Rutgers coach faces shocking allegations of toxic culture, doctored drug tests, punishing workouts

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

So it was Fox that killed the PAC 12.

6. Terry O'Keefe

7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

This is kind of what I envision, but why would you include Va. Tech, WVU, Wisconsin, Arkansas and Washington, South Carolina but not include Ole Miss, Iowa State, Oregon State, Miss St., UNC, Maryland, Purdue? Like you mentioned before Terry, the schedule would be brutal.

8. Scott88

:D I think that was me, but point is valid no matter who.

As far as selection, the Tweet states:
    Most of those kp lists being left out don't come in too highly in most of those categories.
    I think it'll be more than 28, probably at least 36, but who knows...

That's an NFL set up and you'd have 3/4/5 loss teams in the playoff simply because it would be so damned difficult.
    Meh.

9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Va. Tech? Washington? West Virginia? They come in higher? If you say so. I still think it'll be 50 or 60, but you said 36 to 48 didn't you so we're in pretty much the same ball park for totals. I guess my list will just have to wait.;)

10. Terry O'Keefe

Scott saw an article on your new indoor practice facility. Pretty impressive and really needed more than ever this brutal summer.

I liked this take on practicing in brutal heat ....times are thankfully changing.

Nearly 50 years later and around the turn of the century, then-Dallas Cowboys coach Dave Campo spoke of the positives of practicing in the 107-degree heat of Wichita Falls for training camp.

“I truly believe that the heat helps us,” Campo said in the summer of 2000. “One of the things that championship football teams have is mental toughness. … The mental toughness and grind of going out there twice a day, in the heat of the day, is an advantage, in my opinion. To be a good football team, we’ve got to be a tough football team.”

Campo’s impassioned heat speech prompted what amounted to a verbal eyeroll from then-Cowboys quarterback and future Hall of Famer Troy Aikman.

“Personally, I don’t see the advantage of the heat,” a drenched Aikman said following a practice in Wichita Falls that summer of 2000. “But that’s not my decision.”

How Texas A&M beats the heat with new indoor football facility

11. Terry O'Keefe

The deal with Jim Harbaugh is off, this article is confusing to me as to what is going to happen. It does seem clear that he's going to coach 2023. I thought this quote from the NCAA was odd.

"The Michigan infractions case is related to impermissible on and off-campus recruiting during the COVID-19 dead period and impermissible coaching activities -- not a cheeseburger," said Derrick Crawford, the NCAA vice president of hearing operations, in reference to Harbaugh's alleged purchase of a couple of hamburgers for a recruit during the period. "It is not uncommon for the COI to seek clarification on key facts prior to accepting."

Sources: NCAA deal with UM's Harbaugh rejected

12. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

By the time they hold a hearing, the 2023 season will be over. The major question is will Harbaugh be coaching M in 2024 and be subject to NCAA sanctions or either retire or go back to the NFL.

13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

The problem becomes not so much what Harbaugh did or didn't do but how will the NCAA handle the investigation and punishment process. Corey and I, long ago, discussed that the NCAA has rules that determines how it should conduct its business but they don't follow those rules if they want a certain outcome. If they want Harbaugh, they will ignore their own bylaws to get him. If they don't want to get him, they will ignore whatever they need to ingnore. This whole thing is an odd situation anyway. Apparently he didn't do anything major wrong initially, his crime was lying about it and refusing to participate...right?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I think Kp has a good read on what may happen and why in the Harbaugh saga.

15. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

The level 1 charge is either lying or refusing to cooperate with the investigation. So far, the NCAA has not specifically said what H did to cause them to issue a level 1 charge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Nebraska AD Trev Alberts tells
    @Amie_Just
    there will be more expansion. “History is unkind to conferences that have not had the courage to expand. I don’t believe it’s done. It’s never been done. It’s more likely than not that there will be continued periods of angst. I believe that the next go-around - that’s my basic conclusion - will be far more disruptive than anything we’re currently engaged in. We need to prepare ourselves mentally for that”

17. Scott88

kp, I wasn't arguing for or against certain teams, just pointing out the criteria used for the hypothetical list.
    Washington, Wisconsin, and Arkansas all have higher attendance/ratings and historical success over Iowa St, Oregon St, Maryland...
    Any way it gets sliced, past the "top 10" there are going to be cases for and against one school vs another. I'd expect 36-48 in the end, just to dilute things down a little. 28 teams would be terrible.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Terry O'Keefe

On the Alabama QB battle...

More, from Alabama insider:

1) I think this is a two-man race for the starting quarterback spot

With the caveat that things can always change, I think Alabama's starter to open the season against Middle Tennessee State will be Jalen Milroe or Ty Simpson. These two have separated themselves from the pack and looked like the two best options in Saturday's scrimmage, according to those in attendance.

Milroe might not be the perfect fit for Tommy Rees' offense, but he's incredibly athletic and has made improvements in his passing ability. A long touchdown pass to Jermaine Burton was one of the big highlights of the scrimmage. He's the most veteran option and his experience is a plus in his favor. He has the edge right now on winning the job and has consistently been the first QB to get first-team reps.

Simpson looks the part and throws the best ball, but has struggled at times with consistency. He looked like the best option in the open practice last week and the second-best option in Saturday's scrimmage, showing the up-and-down nature of a QB battle. But Simpson still has a real shot to win the job.

Tyler Buchner is a great insurance policy, but fading as a primary contender for the starting job. Buchner will try to continue to push Milroe and Simpson for the job, but if the competition ended today, the Notre Dame transfer would be No. 3 on the depth chart.

I would expect both Milroe and Simpson to play against Middle Tennessee and maybe even Buchner late in the game as Alabama readies for a big test Week 2 against Texas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

Has anyone watched the Johnny Manzel documentary? I am not waisting my time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Yeah I think I'll pass too.