College Football 2023

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 28, 2023.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

My condolences, Bill.

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I saw that on Facebook Bill. Sorry for you loss.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

With Spring Drills already underway or just getting started all over the country. Texas has already started, Texas A*M starts this week as does Notre Dame. I have a question, Texas and Texas A*M don't charge for admission to their Spring Games, Notre Dame does. Is free admission becoming more common?

4. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

My condolences, Bill.

5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Admission is.free to the Alabama A Day game

6. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Ohio State charges $7.00, $15.00 and $30.00. Parking is free.

7. Terry O'Keefe

I get it that it costs money to open the stadium and staff it for these games, but with all the money that P5 schools get from their conferences deals with TV/Other that they could afford to give free admittance to the fans so it'd be easy to bring the whole family. Of course prices like what Don quotes are close to being free.

Notre Dame says their money goes here, personally it since it is going back into the athletic programs and truthfully there should be plenty of money already flowing into the coffers that they don't need it. Donate the money to Local Charity in South Bend if you are going to charge or make it free like we do at Texas, ND Tickets start at $8. So like Ohio State it's almost free, still I wish they would either do free or donate the proceeds to Local Charity.

Money generated from Blue-Gold ticket sales will go to the Rockne Athletics Fund, which helps fund student-athlete scholarships, academic assistance, team travel, facility upgrades, nutrition, and strength and conditioning.

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

While that Alabama A Day game is free, Alabama charges for some surprising things. A couple of years ago, they starting charging $25 just to be on the waiting list for season tickets. Why would you do that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I think A&M used to charge $5 to go to the spring game... but after SEC money arrived, it went free.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

My wife and I rode the Log Flume at Kings Island Amusement Park north of Cincinnati back in the day with John Brockington and his date. He asked for the front seat and when we got to the bottom of the slope he through all his weight forward to increase the splash. I thought it was funny; my wife, not so much.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

AJ!!! Uncle Frankie returns!!

Twenty years have passed since Frank Solich's controversial firing from Nebraska, and he hasn't publicly appeared at Memorial Stadium since. That's about to change.

Solich, 78, remains a beloved figure among much of the fan base, having been an all-conference fullback for the Cornhuskers in the 1960s, an assistant to Tom Osborne for two decades and the head coach who won 75% of his games over six seasons before his unceremonious dismissal.

With the prodding of athletic director Trev Alberts, the urging of Osborne and the invitation of first-year coach Matt Rhule, Solich figured now is the time to return to Lincoln. He and his family will be honored during the Huskers' spring game April 22 in what he hopes will be the start of a renewed relationship with the program.

Nebraska to honor Solich 20 years after firing

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

It's a shame how they treated him before.

14. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

It was 2 people. Main culprit being Steve Pederson, who had an axe to grind with Frank.

15. Terry O'Keefe

Was listening to ESPNU this morning and apparently Hugh Freeze has said he want's the NCAA to allow Spring Exhibition games, to replace traditional Spring games.

The host's, including Rick Neuheisel, were all for it saying it would be better for the players, better for the fans, Rick tried to make a case that it would reduce the chance of injuries.

To me it's a bad idea, because it quickly would deteriorate into a game the coach had to win, fans wouldn't see it as an exhibition game. Coaches would have to game plan it and try to win rather than just try and get a lot of players snaps. I know it's different in the Pro's and fans while they like to win, don't really care as it's well established that starters don't play very much in exhibition games. I think it would take awhile for college fans to get to that point.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Don Ballard

Four star Air Noland (Georgia)2024 commits to Ohio State this evening.

“I think Ohio State’s coaching staff has done a great job recruiting me between coach (Ryan) Day, coach (Corey) Dennis and coach (Brian) Hartline," Noland told Eleven Warriors in March. "They’ve visited my school twice, and I think they think I have the right intangibles and all the right things to play quarterback for Ohio State. I think coach Dennis does a great job with quarterbacks and coach Day and coach Hartline’s offensive system is a very quarterback-oriented type of offense. A lot of quarterbacks have watched Ohio State this year and previous to this year and saw how explosive the offense can be. I’m very excited and can’t wait to get to Columbus.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

No QB from Alabama or Georgia on the pre-season top 10 returning QB's list. Of course they will have new starters so they don't qualify as "returning". I'll be shocked if the list top 10 QB's after the season doesn't include qB's from both those schools.

1. Caleb Williams, USC
    2. Michael Penix Jr., Washington
    3. Drake Maye, North Carolina
    4. Bo Nix, Oregon
    5. Jordan Travis, Florida State
    6. Cameron Rising, Utah
    7. Sam Hartman, Notre Dame
    8. JJ McCarthy, Michigan
    9. Jayden Daniels, LSU
    10. Jalon Daniels, Kansas

18. Terry O'Keefe

Three of those guys, Penix, Nix and Jayden Daniels had their careers revived by transferring.

19. Terry O'Keefe

Lot's of Spring games coming up, Michigan already played last week, Longhorns play Sat as does Ohio State, the Irish are April 22.

Ohio State, ND, Texas, Alabama all have QB battles going on, why do I think none of them will declare a starter after the Spring Game.

Longhorns had 3 players tell Sark they are leaving, A&M's starting center has told Jimbo he's leaving, April 15th is when the portal opens. That will be the next big wave, players who aren't at least in the 2 deep after spring are likely thinking they need to move on so that they can get a better shot at playing. If they are already starters and they move on you have to think they are looking for more NIL.

I don't know if the Irish are going to lose anybody, but I won't be shocked if we do as there are always kids who think they could do better some where else.

20. Don Ballard

Devin Brown QB will not play in the Spring game after all due to surgery on his throwing hand. He will be able to go in August practices. No starting QB qill be named until this fall per Coach Day! (not much of a surprise)o_O

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2023